IGNORED

AA Homebrews for 2600 Nearing Activision Titles

Jacob Rose

I count 37, that is including CoM, Rainbow Invaders and AStar, but not MG2005, Swoops, Boing!, Testcart, Synthcart and Solar Plexus. I also don't count Qb, Mondo Pong or Reindeer Rescue, as they're not unlimited available.

Activision cartridges aren't "unlimited availability" either though - they've stopped making them! :)

It makes sense not to count the Testcart, but the Synthcart - that's a real end-user application, so I'd count it. I'd also include Swoops and MG2005 and the released-once-but-no-longer-for-legal-reasons games. Reindeer Rescue is an oddball, because the intent was only to make a limited release, but I think I'd still count it: Quadrun counts as an Atari release, right? And that was only a limited club release, IIRC. I also don't know why Solar Plexus shouldn't be counted, just because it was written in Basic. I'm sure Activision would have used Batari Basic if they'd had it, and we never would have known the difference! :) So, I'm pretty happy with 44 is my count (er, unless I counted wrong :) ).

Which homebrew games were released then taken out of the store for legal reasons? I thought all of those were hacks.

Ok, I thought of 2: Ebivision Pac-man and Castle Crisis

Ebivision Pac-Man was never officially released that I know of. How many copies are even out there?

Which homebrew games were released then taken out of the store for legal reasons? I thought all of those were hacks.

The complete 5200 library from Mean Hamster, Castle Crisis, Joust Pong, Mondo Pong and Double Breakout.

And Qb was an "unplanned withdrawal" that had legal implications if not any direct C&D to AA.

It appears that the access routine runs at 8 cycles per clock, or 150 kHz. However, I recall from messing with I2C drivers a few years ago that most wouldn't work reliably at > 100 kHz. I take it you can get faster devices

Most devices can run 400KHz at 5 volts. Though I think I figured out how to push my speed faster. It would require having EEPROM code in three banks (32K chip) since it would be using the banking latches for double-duty but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. EEPROM read/write code would be pretty darned fast.

; I2C write (outputs value in Y)
 cmp $0800,y
 cmp $0900,y
 cmp $0A00,y
 cmp $0B00,y
 cmp $0C00,y
 cmp $0D00,y
 cmp $0E00,y
 cmp $0F00,y
; I2C read (gets value into accumulator)
 nop $600   ; Assert data
 nop $1FE0 ;  Cycle clock and copy data into banking latch
 lda $1FE0 ; Read address bank value, cycle clock, and copy data into banking latch
 ora $1FE1 ; Read address bank value, cycle clock, and copy data into banking latch
 ora $1FE2 ; Read address bank value, cycle clock, and copy data into banking latch
 ora $1FE3 ; Read address bank value, cycle clock, and copy data into banking latch
 ora $1FE4 ; Read address bank value, cycle clock, and copy data into banking latch
 ora $1FE5 ; Read address bank value, cycle clock, and copy data into banking latch
 ora $1FE6 ; Read address bank value, cycle clock, and copy data into banking latch
 ora #0 or #1; Handle last bit

I still have to ensure the code for I2C start/stop conditions will fit in the 22V10. The code for those is likely to be something like:

; Start condition
 ldy #1 ; Value doesn't matter, if it's non-zero
 cmp $05FF,y
; Stop condition
 ldy #1 ; Value doesn't matter, if it's non-zero
 cmp $06FF,y

Basic schema:

- "Interesting address" output (IAO) is true for addresses $0400-$07FF, or $1FE0-$1FFF

- IAD is a capacitor-delayed version of IAO fed back into the chip.

- I2C clock is (IAO & IAD)

- I2C data tracks a banking bit when (!IAO & !IAD) and tracks A8 when (!A12 & !A11 & A10 & IAO & IAD)

- Accesses to $1FEx switch a certain banking bit based upon I2C data input

- Addresses $0800-$0FFF set banking bit based upon certain address bits.

My biggest concern is avoiding funny glitches during start and stop conditions. Using the other banking bit as a clock override function would probably work, but that would require EEPROM code to be spread through at least six banks. Might be the best approach, though.

Tasmanian humor? :D

where did that come from?

Just curious about the reasons.

Andrew declined to explain the withdrawal, which I assumed meant that he was under pressure from another party. I certainly respect his privacy. Here's the priginal thread about it:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=52656&st=0

And Qb was an "unplanned withdrawal" that had legal implications if not any direct C&D to AA.

Thank god for that; I knew there had to be a reason! I think I threatened to sue myself, and having dealt with me before... once bitten, twice shy. It was probably a wise move on my part, as I can be nasty when I have to be. It's all a bit vague, now.

Qb is possibly the most common homebrew... ever. There are over 450 carts out there. The market is super-saturated with this cartridge and variants, and the only reasonable prospect for the future is "platinum edition".

Cheers

A

Thank god for that; I knew there had to be a reason! I think I threatened to sue myself, and having dealt with me before... once bitten, twice shy. It was probably a wise move on my part, as I can be nasty when I have to be. It's all a bit vague, now.

I guess speculation about what happened seems pretty silly...but you were very mysterious about it. :)

I feel very sorry for Andrew. You must have been very nasty to him lately.

The mystery around qB is exceedingly annoying.

Just a whim?

Mysterious legal problems?

A decision that the software is too good for us Hoi Polloi?

Something in the color scheme that caused seizures in a small percentage of the people who play it?

I'm sure this will bounce off Andrew like a BB off of armor plating, but I have a lot less respect for the Holiday qB cart I got as some kind of freebie from AA a while back just because of all the mystery and intrigue.

Edited by kisrael