IGNORED

New XE PBI EXTNDR Production Run.

Ok.. I have shipped out 4 orders today...

These were the 4 people who ordered EXTNDR boards ONLY....

(Goochman (1 board), Allan (1 board), Paul Summers(1 board), and Triads(2 boards))

All of you who ALSO ordered an MIO, will get your EXTNDR boards along with your MIO.

CHeck the NEW MIO PRODUCTION RUN thread for status on that....

Thanks,

KEN

xtndr.jpg

Heres my review of the the extender repro. The repro is identical to the original except for the black paint. I have used it to connect to my MIO and Sparta X. They both work identically to the original. The only problem was that my 130xe cart/eci ports were not perfectly centered in their openings. This made it hard to insert and remove the repro extender. The repro is slightly thicker than the original. Since the cart slots are reduced from a larger slot, the cart slots have the opening to the right. I have cut flat pieces of plastics to fit into the empty space. Now, my carts are inserted without worrying that I put it in wrong.

The extender repro now only need the supports that the original has. This allows insertion of the carts without having to hold the extender. I have included a pic of the backside.

post-7833-1152977937_thumb.jpg

Edited by Almost Rice

Yeah theres about a million places that sell those Rubber feet. 3M makes them. They are self-adhesive "stick-on"...

As far as the ECI-slot centering problem, niether of My XEs have that problem. The board is approx .010" thicker than the original, which makes it a nice snug fit, but not annoyingly so. The thickness of the board is still within the specs of what the edge connectors on the 130xe are made to handle, and if anything, this extra .010" of "snugness" should make for a less easily disturbed conmnnection, and less flakiness during long-term operation.

However, as Toan pointed out, it is a good idea to make sure your XE motherboard is positioned correctly in the case, so that the ECI connectors are lined up with the slots in the back of the plastic case.

As far as the cart connectors, I was unable to locate the 15-position edge connectors. What you have, essentially is an 18 position, with 4 pins removed. This shouldnt be a problem for the average user. Just make sure your carts are "left-justified" in the slot when you insert them, and you wont have a problem. Or, if you want, you can "key" the right side of the connectors like Toan did.

As far as the cart connectors, I was unable to locate the 15-position edge connectors. What you have, essentially is an 18 position, with 4 pins removed. This shouldnt be a problem for the average user. Just make sure your carts are "left-justified" in the slot when you insert them, and you wont have a problem. Or, if you want, you can "key" the right side of the connectors like Toan did.

I want to make sure I understand correctly; The connectors are what I would call 30 pin, 2x15. So the new ones have 34 contacts and 4 of them are removed? And this is on one side? What about using that extra space to glue in some tabs that automaticly open the cartridge door, as the origional Atari cart slot has... or has that been taken care of some other way??

I want to make sure I understand correctly; The connectors are what I would call 30 pin, 2x15. So the new ones have 34 contacts and 4 of them are removed? And this is on one side? What about using that extra space to glue in some tabs that automaticly open the cartridge door, as the origional Atari cart slot has... or has that been taken care of some other way??

It's not going to cause a problem, or I wouldnt ship them that way.

No, theres no tabs for opening cart doors.. This board is not intended to use for "space invaders"...

Im not going to "glue" anything onto anything.

If you ordered on of these boards, you are free to modify it however you see fit, but the existing setup is not going to cause any problems. They work well, as-is.

Edited by MEtalGuy66