IGNORED

Zyx/Stickman

atari2600land

I'd like to know how I'm doing so far. You press Start on the title screen (space bar for Stella emulators) to start it up. You guide the face to eat the bananas. All I want to do is make there be a penalty for missing bananas. Any suggestions/improvements welcome. Even though the bas file and the bin file have different names, they're both the same game.

zyx3a.bas

zyxone.bas.bin

Edited by atari2600land

:)

I'd like to know how I'm doing so far. You press Start on the title screen (space bar for Stella emulators) to start it up. You guide the face to eat the bananas. All I want to do is make there be a penalty for missing bananas. Any suggestions/improvements welcome. Even though the bas file and the bin file have different names, they're both the same game.

Hi

suggestion for missing a banana.

How about loosing a life?And making the scrolling faster with time,would make the game a little bit more difficult.

How about a nice screen,after getting a number of bananas?

Your game could become great.

greetings Walter :)

As for losing a life, I've added that to this next version. There's 4 lives. As for making the bananas scroll faster with time, I have no idea how I would do that, cuz I'm a newbie. If someone would examine the .bas file and post a reply with code (and line #s so I know where to put it), that'd be nice.

zyx.bas

zyx.bin

Edited by atari2600land

• 1 year later...

Still working on it ;) Sorry to be necroposting here, but seeing as how it's been over a year and I've learned so much since the last time I attempted this (and there's been a new release of bB.) I think I can do a much better job using only 2k. This is a better one than I posted in my blog entry of 9/3/07.

-----------

Bananas are falling from above! Make Zyx catch them and eat them. If you miss one, Zyx will get mad and make you lose one of your chances (He *really* loves his bananas.)

To start the game, press the fire button. Use the joystick to move Zyx left or right. Once you miss three bananas, the game ends. Press the fire button to start another game if you want.

As the early levels progress, the bananas drop faster. 1 is the slowest speed and 4 is the highest speed.

number of  
bananas   speed
 00-09		1
 10-19		2
 20-29		3
  30+		  4

2kzyx.bas.bin

2kzyx.bas

Easy to play, but difficult to master. Although it's essentially a knockoff of Kaboom!, the fact that the Zyx is so narrow makes it tougher than one might expect. I haven't played it a lot yet, but so far my high score is only 37!

Ideas for enhancements:

Have two or three difficulty levels, like easy, standard, and expert. The easy setting could have a wider sprite for the Zyx, and maybe the bananas would fall a little slower, to make the game easy for children to play. The standard setting could be like the game is now. And the expert setting could have the narrower Zyx (like now), but with a slightly wider playing field, so you have to move further to the left and right.

Allow Zyx to earn another life after eating a certain number of bananas.

Have an "enemy" come in from time to time and eat the bananas before Zyx can catch them, like a bird that flies across the screen. Maybe Zyx could throw a rock at the bird to try to keep it from getting any bananas, since Zyx would lose a life if the bird ate a banana. That would require switching to the multisprite kernel, but perhaps the multisprite kernel could be modified to allow the lives remaining display? :ponder: Also, hitting the bird with the rock might earn bonus points.

Michael

If I can have a modified kernel where I can use multisprite and lives, then I'd make it 4k with the enemy. Right now, though, I just want to limit it to 2k. I've put in the necessary changes, but it's a little over 2k. So if anyone wants to help me clean up the code, it would be greatly appreciated.

game 1 = easy = wide Zyx, narrow playfield

game 2 = medium = narrow Zyx, narrow playfield

game 3 = hard = wide Zyx, wide playfield

change at the beginning using game select switch.

2kzyx3.bas.bin

2kzyx3.bas

If I can have a modified kernel where I can use multisprite and lives, then I'd make it 4k with the enemy. Right now, though, I just want to limit it to 2k. I've put in the necessary changes, but it's a little over 2k. So if anyone wants to help me clean up the code, it would be greatly appreciated.

game 1 = easy = wide Zyx, narrow playfield

game 2 = medium = narrow Zyx, narrow playfield

game 3 = hard = wide Zyx, wide playfield

change at the beginning using game select switch.

My high score more than doubled-- it went up from 37 to 85! (on the easy setting... :ponder:)

Michael

I didn't think it was possible, but I fit it in 2k myself with 4 bytes remaining. If someone wants to save me even more bytes, though, that'd be super.

Pretty cool game... I got 256 on the easy level, and the bannanas slowed down to the slowest speed again. Maybe you could change it so they never slow down again, or get even faster after you score 256?

Steve

Pretty cool game... I got 256 on the easy level, and the bannanas slowed down to the slowest speed again. Maybe you could change it so they never slow down again, or get even faster after you score 256?

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Apparenly the limit on variables is 256. I'm using 'e' to change the score and to keep track of when the bananas should change speed. I don't know what the fix is for this, though. I'm glad you like the game.

Great game!

There is a way to check for higher score. Look at

Random Terrain's Batari reference.

Specifically copying the relavant part of that doc:

If you plan to check to score, you will need to break out its 6 digits into 3 sets of two digits and check each one. One way to pull out the score digits is:

dim sc1=score

dim sc2=score+1

dim sc3=score+2

sc1 will contain the first two digits, sc2 the 3rd and 4th, and sc3 the last two. Since these are all BCD numbers, you need to place a "$" in front of any values you check. For example, to check if the score is less than 10:

if sc1=$00 && sc2=$00 && sc3<$10 then ...

To check if the score is greater than 123456:

if sc1>=$12 && sc2>=$34 && sc3>$56 then ...

Breaking out score digits is also useful for setting the score to display special values or custom graphics. You can modify score_graphics.asm to include definitions for digits "A-F" and set the score digits manually. How to do this is beyond the scope of this document, but it has been discussed in detail in the AtariAge 2600 Basic forum.

I think I did pretty well for the first try on easy level: :) (my sad reflexes couldn't get me any higher)

post-7602-1189043019_thumb.png

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Apparenly the limit on variables is 256. I'm using 'e' to change the score and to keep track of when the bananas should change speed. I don't know what the fix is for this, though. I'm glad you like the game.

Other than checking the digits of the score, one solution might be to set a flag when e rolls over from 255 to 0, and if the flag is on then use the fastest speed. Another solution might be to use a variable for the speed, set it to the slowest speed to begin with, increment it by 1 each time e reaches the next level, but make sure it never goes over the fastest speed.

Michael

Since 2600IDE won't tell me how many bytes I have left, I'll guess I have zero left since I added that last line. I'd like to finish this in 2K. I dunno why, I just thought I'd make a 2k game for the heckuvit, since hardly any has been made since Edtris (how many? 0?) And if anyone wants to release it on cart, I'd be glad to. First 2k game on sale since Edtris, that I'm fairly sure of. Have any bugs popped up yet?

Edited by atari2600land

Since 2600IDE won't tell me how many bytes I have left, I'll guess I have zero left since I added that last line. I'd like to finish this in 2K. I dunno why, I just thought I'd make a 2k game for the heckuvit, since hardly any has been made since Edtris (how many? 0?) And if anyone wants to release it on cart, I'd be glad to. First 2k game on sale since Edtris, that I'm fairly sure of. Have any bugs popped up yet?

If you put a PAUSE at the end of 2600ide.bat, you can see the output in the Command Prompt window.

What is loop2, anyway? It's preventing me from seeing how many bytes are left in the program.

"loop2" is a line label in the standard kernel.

Use the batch that Curtis posted (rename it to take off ".txt" from the end). When you compile with it, you'll get a file with the same name as your program, but with ".lst" on the end. This is an assembly listing. If you open up the assembly listing in the editor, it will probably look very confusing to you if you aren't familiar with assembly code. But scroll down to almost the very end-- a little bit above the score digits-- and you'll see a line that looks something like this:

29 bytes of ROM space left

Of course, the number will probably be something else. But that will show you how many bytes you have left.

Michael

EDIT: When I use it, it gives a message saying 'bB variable not set' or something similar.

Remember when you were having trouble getting v1.0 and 2600IDE to work, and I set it up on my computer, zipped it all up, and emailed it to you? Did you ever make any changes to it after that? If not, then I should be able to fix the batch for that setip and post it for you. What directory do you use with bB? Is it C:\bB?

Michael

EDIT: Or was it C:\bBv1.0?

Edited by SeaGtGruff

EDIT: When I use it, it gives a message saying 'bB variable not set' or something similar.

Remember when you were having trouble getting v1.0 and 2600IDE to work, and I set it up on my computer, zipped it all up, and emailed it to you? Did you ever make any changes to it after that? If not, then I should be able to fix the batch for that setip and post it for you. What directory do you use with bB? Is it C:\bB?

Michael

EDIT: Or was it C:\bBv1.0?

I put it in My Documents, but it's called 'bBv1.0'. The only changes I made to it is it's where I keep the programs I'm working on, and the change to the bat file I just did.

There! It gave me a .lst file and it says I have 10 bytes left. Thanks very much, guys. So, anyway, after all that, has anyone found any bugs in the Zyx program that I need to fix, does anyone have any suggestions/changes that I can implement in 10 bytes or less, or am I done here?