IGNORED

Amiga 500

Sully70

I'm primarily an Atari collector, but a guy at work gave me his old Amiga 500 yesterday. It's got the plastic cover on it, power cord, and the mouse. Doesn't have the external hard drive though. Elite II, Madden, Stellar 7, Road Rash, TMNT, Powermonger, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Dragon's Lair(only disks 1, 5 and 6 though) are some of the games he gave me. It will actually go quite nicely next to my 800 XL. Just cool to get an Amiga, and free no less! He's looking for more of the disks so I'll see what he comes up with.

Just realized it's actually a 600, not a 500.

Edited by Sully70

Sorry, but the 600 is not an AGA machine... only the 1200 and 4000 had the AGA chipset. However, it's still an excellent machine. I hope you have lots of fun with it. There are also some Amiga 600's that have internal hard drives... I'm sure you'll find out pretty quick whether you have one of those or not :)

--Zero

The Amiga 600 isn't AGA? I could have sworn it was. I know that it was really tiny. I've always thought it was a cheaper, more compact version of the 1200. I was still getting a lot of use out of my good old 1000 anyway, I wasn't thinking of upgrading when the 600 came out. :)

The Amiga 600 isn't AGA? I could have sworn it was. I know that it was really tiny. I've always thought it was a cheaper, more compact version of the 1200.

It is cool looking and tiny, but definitely not a "mini" A1200 :) The A600 uses a 68000 and is very similar to the A500.

If I didn't have a decked out SX32MK2 CD32 as my mini Amiga, I'd probably pick up an A600.

Congratulations you're lucky.

Remember the Amiga is stills supported, I saw a screenshot of its desktop and it had a nice photo and it was playing winamp!

No Winamp for you on the A600! :) As noted there are some more modern apps for the Amiga's, but they have monstrous requirements compared to the older legacy hardware.

Actually, you can do MP3s on an 030/50Mhz if you turn down the sampling rate and pretty much do nothing else besides listen to music :) Also, there's MASPlayer which is a parallel port decoder that will work on any Amiga since the DSP on it is doing all the decoding work.

Steve: Sorry man, the 600 is a 500 with an IDE controller, PCMCIA, a 2MB Agnus and KS 2.05 built in. Great little machine, but no AGA (which at the time it came out, is weird).

Actually, you can do MP3s on an 030/50Mhz if you turn down the sampling rate and pretty much do nothing else besides listen to music :) Also, there's MASPlayer which is a parallel port decoder that will work on any Amiga since the DSP on it is doing all the decoding work.

Steve: Sorry man, the 600 is a 500 with an IDE controller, PCMCIA, a 2MB Agnus and KS 2.05 built in. Great little machine, but no AGA (which at the time it came out, is weird).

Didn't know that actually. Any idea where the decoder can be bought? Also, how does one compensate for the lack of keypad (which I've heard was essential for some games), and the incompatibility with some KickStart 1.3 games (like the original "Street Fighter", and a few others)?

Didn't know that actually. Any idea where the decoder can be bought? Also, how does one compensate for the lack of keypad (which I've heard was essential for some games), and the incompatibility with some KickStart 1.3 games (like the original "Street Fighter", and a few others)?

Usually KDE's shop is selling them, but I see it's not online.. their webstore has them: http://cgi.ebay.de/Amiga-MAS-Player-fuer-d...oQQcmdZViewItem

I'm sure there are some games that need a keypad, but I haven't come across any of them. Normally, they would be flight sims or something along those lines. As for 1.3 compatibility, you can use whdload (www.whdload.de) or Degrader from Aminet (www.aminet.net).