IGNORED

Time to update the Sears picture labels

Christophero Sly

Al has recently indicated his willingness to make adjustments to the rarity guide. I think almost everyone here feels that the rarities of the Sears picture labels need to be updated. I know that there have been several threads about this subject already, but rather than resuscitate one of them, I figured we might as well start a fresh discussion.

Below is my take on the relative rarities of the Sears picture label carts. The groups are listed in order of descending rarity. Within each grouping, I feel the rarities are about equivalent. I tried to keep the groupings as broad as possible to avoid complicating things with distinctions that are too fine.

Asteroids

Canyon Bomber

Dodger Cars

Gunslinger

Night Driver

Adventure

Arcade Pinball

Baseball

Basketball

Breakaway IV

Chase

Demons to Diamonds

Math Gran Prix

Missile Command

Poker Plus

Pong Sports

Race

Stellar Track

Submarine Commander

Berzerk

Blackjack

Haunted House

Maze

Outer Space

Pac-Man

Space Combat

Space Invaders

Speedway II

Star Raiders

Warlords

Yars' Revenge

I think 6 is a good rarity for the first grouping (Asteroids, Canyon Bomber, etc.). Some carts in that grouping are already 6's. Subterranea, Spy Hunter, Mines of Minos and Marauder are other rarity 6's and my sense is that the carts in the first group are on par with these titles. The carts in the last group (Berzerk, Blackjack, etc.) feel like 4's to me. I guess that leaves 5's for the middle group. I could probably split the middle group in two, but, like I said, that would probably just complicate things.

As for Superman, there are only two, maybe three, known copies, so I feel it deserves a 10.

I'm sure some of you completely disagree with me :), so, if you have any opinions on the rarities of the Sears picture labels, please post them here. Hopefully, we can reach some consensus and get some rarity designations updated.

I think it's important to point out that the Sears picture labels aren't high-profile carts and they rarely appear in single-cart auctions on ebay. This can make it more difficult to track them down, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are rare. Our individual experiences acquiring these carts can affect our perception of their rarities. Some of us may have spent years tracking down Gunslinger. Others may have had no trouble finding a copy of Gunslinger, but, instead, had a difficult time just finding Berzerk. I think we have to be careful to not let rarity designations be overly influenced by our perceptions of availability.

Below is my take on the relative rarities of the Sears picture label carts. The groups are listed in order of descending rarity. Within each grouping, I feel the rarities are about equivalent. I tried to keep the groupings as broad as possible to avoid complicating things with distinctions that are too fine.

You are a genius Christophero! I like this system. :) To add what I think to your list:

Superman

Asteroids

Basketball

Canyon Bomber

Dodger Cars

Gunslinger

Night Driver

Pong Sports

Adventure

Arcade Pinball

Baseball

Basketball

Breakaway IV

Chase

Demons to Diamonds

Math Gran Prix

Missile Command

Poker Plus

Pong Sports

Race

Stellar Track

Submarine Commander

Berzerk

Blackjack

Haunted House

Maze

Outer Space

Pac-Man

Space Combat

Space Invaders

Speedway II

Star Raiders

Warlords

Yars' Revenge

Berzerk

Pac-Man

Space Invaders

Star Raiders

These last carts are all three's. I see them all the time in comparision to the other Sears carts. This list looks a lot better now. I agree Superman is super and is a 10.

I think so. IMO, it's much, MUCH harder to find than those other six.

Ya Gunslinger is quite rare, but maybe it's a "harder to get" R6?

I've seen Gunslinger on eBay once, ever. Obviously Sears pic Superman is the holy grail of Sears carts, but Gunslinger and Cannon Man (Sears text) seem to be at the top of everyone's want list. I'm with Crunchy on this one. A seven doesn't seem unreasonable for this one cart, but might for the rest of the sixes.

I just went through the database and looked at all the sixes. I see all of them regularly except Cannon Man, and Raft Rider (standard case). Right now Gunslinger is listed as a 5 and that's just not right.

Gunslinger isn't a 5 that's for sure, but I've actually seen it several times on ebay and had no trouble finding a copy myself. I do agree that outside of Superman (and Tank Plus and Target Fun ;) ) Gunslinger is the rarest label, but I don't know whether I agree that it is significantly rarer than Night Driver, Canyon Bomber, etc., and, thus, deserving of a higher rarity. I'll keep an open mind on it. I wouldn't be utterly opposed to making it a 7, but it just doesn't seem to me to be any rarer than Mines of Minos, Espial, and Subterranea. Although Espial is probably rarer than a 6 and needs adjustiing itself.

Edited by Christophero Sly

Pong Sports is rare? I didn't realize you guys were looking for that one. I just recently sacrificed one to a soldering experiment.

You're joking right?

You don't even want to know what kind of Sears carts I have stripped in the past. :skull:

Pong Sports is rare? I didn't realize you guys were looking for that one. I just recently sacrificed one to a soldering experiment.

You're joking right?

Not at all. I'm learning how to solder and desolder Eproms and roms and have been using my trash pile (aka all the extras I end up with when I win auctions that have the 1 or 2 games I am actually looking for) to experiment.

You're joking right?

You don't even want to know what kind of Sears carts I have stripped in the past. :skull:

*Cpuwiz in the past*

"Boy the rims look dirty on my car. I'll just strip down this stack of Superman carts and use the labels to give them a wipe". :D

:|

You're joking right?

Not at all. I'm learning how to solder and desolder Eproms and roms and have been using my trash pile (aka all the extras I end up with when I win auctions that have the 1 or 2 games I am actually looking for) to experiment.

Let me know if you have any extra pic label Pong Sports before you get crazy with the solder iron again and I'll make it worth you while. ;)

You're joking right?

Let me know if you have any extra pic label Pong Sports before you get crazy with the solder iron again and I'll make it worth you while. ;)

No problem.

I used to list my extras for sale here, but never had any takers (even when offering games like Video Cube and Sea Hawk), so now I usually end up donating them to Good Will.

This is how I would rank them::

10:

Superman

8:

Gunslinger

7:

Asteroids

Night Driver

6:

Basketball

Canyon Bomber

Dodger Cars

Pong Sports

5:

Adventure

Arcade Pinball

Baseball

Poker Plus

Math Gran Prix

4:

Breakaway IV

Chase

Demons to Diamonds

Missile Command

Race

Stellar Track

Submarine Commander

3:

Blackjack

Haunted House

Maze

Outer Space

Space Combat

Speedway II

Warlords

Yars' Revenge

2:

Berzerk

Pac-Man

Space Invaders

Star Raiders

Defender

Edited by video game addict

Gunslinger is very hard to find. Harder than Asteroids.

Canyon Bomber and Pong Sports seem a bit high to me. I have passed on a few of them around here after I picked up mine mainly because I had no idea they were that rare. We had Sears all over the place in this part of the world. I see about equal parts Atari carts and Sears carts for just about everything. Gunslinger, Night Driver, Dodger Cars and Basketball are the exceptions.

I agree with Omegamatrix's list except for Gunslinger. I think that should be a 7 myself. BTW if anyone needs any pic labels, I've got spares of Adventure, Dodger Cars and Missile Command. PM me an offer.

I myself own all the pic labels loose except for Superman. I would say my rarest cart at the moment is that standard Raft Rider ;)