IGNORED

Problems with Adventure & Warlords

doctorclu

Last I played with my 7800, I was having trouble seeing the block character in Adventure and the ball in Warlords. When Warlords didn't work, I lost interest in it for a while and picked back up a 2600. Warlords is THE Atari game system game this side of the Jaguar. :D

So any idea what has gone out on the 7800 to cause this?

I've always found that 2600 game colors seem a bit muted on the 7800. The colors in Adventure are really vibrant, and they seem really toned down through the 7800's circuitry. I've read before why that is, but I can't recall exactly why off the top of my head.

I've always found that 2600 game colors seem a bit muted on the 7800. The colors in Adventure are really vibrant, and they seem really toned down through the 7800's circuitry. I've read before why that is, but I can't recall exactly why off the top of my head.

I've never verified it for RF, but with an S-video mod where the 7800 chroma and 2600 chroma have separate pots, it you turn up the 2600 color so it's nice and bright, there's interference on 7800 games. I added a switch to mine so only one or the other chroma is connected.

Last I played with my 7800, I was having trouble seeing the block character in Adventure and the ball in Warlords. When Warlords didn't work, I lost interest in it for a while and picked back up a 2600. Warlords is THE Atari game system game this side of the Jaguar. :D

Are there difficulties seeing the walls in those games? If not, it seems there's something wrong with the "ball" circuit within the TIA, since the ball and the walls share the same color registers.

Are there difficulties seeing the walls in those games? If not, it seems there's something wrong with the "ball" circuit within the TIA, since the ball and the walls share the same color registers.

Incidentally, while it would seem somewhat strange for an internal part of a chip to go wonky, such things are not unknown. On my first Commodore 64, sprites 0 and (IIRC) 6 suffered from a pixel worth of horizontal "erosion". If the sprite shape contained four consecutive horizontal dots, only the last three would show up. If the shape contained a single dot without another to its left or right, it wouldn't show up at all. Collision detection regarded the missing parts of the sprite as being nonexistent. My guess is that a couple of pullup transistors in the sprite circuitry were overly weak and thus abnormally show in turning on the sprite.

BTW, on the 2600, there's at least one way to display a faint black line (much less than a pixel wide) down the center of the screen.

I've never verified it for RF, but with an S-video mod where the 7800 chroma and 2600 chroma have separate pots, it you turn up the 2600 color so it's nice and bright, there's interference on 7800 games. I added a switch to mine so only one or the other chroma is connected.

Seems to hold true with my own 7800, which is hooked up via RF. 7800 Asteroids and Galaga have a very noticeable amount of snow when the brightness is normal. I turn it down to cut the snow out.

I'm too busy playing my 2600 games to notice interference when they're in use.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, tried to adjusting the pots (in the middle/blue) but the ball would not show up in Warlords. And prior to adjusting the pots I also could not see the shots fired in Battlezone.

Any other suggestions?

Being that I have a older 7800 with the expansion port and socketed roms, I am wondering if I need to upgrade a chip or two (if I am running a older revision or something?)

post-4709-1151512614_thumb.jpg

Here's one thing I found interesting... one of these socketed chips is not using four of the pin slots. Check out the middle chip. That is just strange to me.

post-4709-1151516494_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

Ok, tried to adjusting the pots (in the middle/blue) but the ball would not show up in Warlords. And prior to adjusting the pots I also could not see the shots fired in Battlezone.

Any other suggestions?

Supercat suggested that your TIA chip may be bad. If you have another console with a socketed chip, you could try swapping this chip and see what happens.

The TIA should have one or both of these printed on it:

CO104444D

UM6525N

Here's one thing I found interesting... one of these socketed chips is not using four of the pin slots. Check out the middle chip. That is just strange to me.

No that's normal. That chip is the 7800 BIOS, the normal 7800 BIOS is only 24 pins but Atari/GCC designed it for expansion so it can use larger chips if needed.

Mitch

Any other suggestions?

Supercat suggested that your TIA chip may be bad. If you have another console with a socketed chip, you could try swapping this chip and see what happens.

The TIA should have one or both of these printed on it:

CO104444D

UM6525N

LOL! Yep, that did it. Sadly I read this message after I figured it out myself. :D (Pulled that chip from the Telegames system/2800) 7800 works fine now. :)

Mitch, thanks for confirming about the bios slot. So what have people done with that extra space since?

Mitch, thanks for confirming about the bios slot. So what have people done with that extra space since?

Not much. The only 7800 BIOS that uses it is the "Asteroids BIOS" that is generally found in PAL 7800s.

Mitch