IGNORED

Amiga 1200 Ethernet?

Tempest

We need a classic computer general forum...

Anyway, I digress. I was wondering if there is an easy way to hook an Amiga 1200 up to the internet via my ethernet connection. The reason I ask is that I want to transfer files (mostly games) to my 1200, but I'm really tired of having to open it up, rip out the HD, connect it to my PC, and using WinUAE to copy files to it every time I want to download something new. If I could get my 1200 on the web, I could download files with much greater ease. I figure there must be an easy way to do. If I can get my Apple IIe hooked up to the internet, I should be able to do the same with the 1200.

Tempest

We need a classic computer general forum...

Anyway, I digress. I was wondering if there is an easy way to hook an Amiga 1200 up to the internet via my ethernet connection.

Tempest

Tempest -- there are several Ethernet options available (including wireless), especially if your 1200 is towered.

There are a few options at Software Hut, based in Exton, PA; they've been my main Amiga dealer for probably 12 years, and they're fantastic:

http://www.softhut.com/cgi-bin/test/Web_st...id=8988034_4064

Also...even more options at AmigaKit....they're based in England, but they're great, too:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalo...f4e2ad9118bf9fb

In fact...lemme tell you about AmigaKit...when you place an order, they will e-mail you to verify that you placed the order. Then they will e-mail you to let you know somebody went to their storage and grabbed it. Then another e-mail to let you know it was packaged....they REALLY keep you up to date; seriously, I'm surprised they don't send an e-mail to let you know it was stuffed, what form of stuffing it was, where the stuffing was purchased, etc. Of course, they send another e-mail to let you know it shipped, complete with tracking info.

OK...so you'll probably want a PCMCIA-based Ethernet card, then. I'm pretty sure you can use pretty much any such card on the market....check www.aminet.net to see what drivers are out there...

Really? Any standard PCMCIA Ethernet card? It doesn't have to be special for the Amiga or anything?

Tempest

Tempest, is the PCMICA slot already taken? Reason I ask is because I remember the A600 and the A1200 contained a PCMICA slot for installing things like RAM cards or ethernet cards, and it was the first thing that I thought of when I read this thread.

Nope it's open. I didn't even know the Amiga 1200 HAD an PCMICA slot in it. When I read this I went "So THAT's what that slot is!". I had noticed a strange slot on the side of my Amiga, but I never knew what it was for.

Speaking of 1200 Hardware, is there a good place (other than ebay) to get a new mouse and keyboard? My mouse is kind of flaky, as the right button doesn't seem to press down half the time, and my keyboard has some cigarette melted keys on it (the previous owner rested his ciggy right on the poor Amiga key).

Tempest

Really? Any standard PCMCIA Ethernet card? It doesn't have to be special for the Amiga or anything?

No, it can't be just any card, driver support is very limited. The one I use on my A1200 is a 3Com (3CCE589ET). There is also support for NE2000 compatible cards I believe.

You also need an IP stack for the Amiga - the IP stack will provide the driver support for your card. I use Miami I believe on mine. Setting up the whole thing can be quite a pain in the ass, but I suppose far less of a pain in the ass then an IP stack for ST machines :ponder:

And the absolute easiest way to transfer stuff around with the PC/Amiga over IP is to use Cloanto's Amiga Explorer :)

And the absolute easiest way to transfer stuff around with the PC/Amiga over IP is to use Cloanto's Amiga Explorer

Looks interesting. Sounds like the ADT software I use to move files from the PC to my Apple II using the Serial Card. I guess I need a null modem cable to make this work, what kind of connector do I need on the Amiga side? For my PC->Apple connection I use a 9-Pin to 25-Pin cable. Does the Amiga have a 9 Pin or 25 Pin connector?

Tempest

Tempest -- www.softhut.com....at least for the mouse; don't know about the keyboard....check it out, though.

They have two prices listed for the 1200 keyboard, I have no idea why this is. It would suck to have to get a whole new keyboard, I only really need 3 keys. Anyone have a dead 1200 keyboard I can steal the caps off of?

As for the mouse, I'm not sure what model I want. The one I have looks like a modern two button PC mouse. The ones they have listed are ugly little square jobs.

Tempest

I have also had good results using a 3Com PCMCIA ethernet card on my 1200 (although I have since switched to using a 3000 and an Xsurf card). However, it should be noted that SOME 1200 accelerator cards cause conflicts with PCMCIA. I don't know the specifics, but I think it has to do with mapping expansion ram over PCMCIA addressing space or something. If you happen to be using such an accelerator, then you're kinda screwed I think. I'm afraid I have no idea how to tell if it's conflicting though... you might want to as the folks over at English Amiga Board, there are some very helpful people there.

As for a TCP/IP stack, you're best off using Miami. Unfortunately, many important Amiga programs are shareware, including this one... but check out Amiga Keyring for free Miami keyfiles (the original authors no longer issue new keyfiles, so it's impossible to actually get a legal version). I use Miami on my 3000, and it's really pretty easy to set up as long as you're somewhat knowledgable about networking... I've heard AmiTCP is much more complicated.

--Zero

Zero -- yup, the Amiga 600 and Amiga 1200 both had that conflict with stuff in the PCMCIA ports conflicting with memory above 4 megs. BUT -- after a short time developers got smart and designed peripherals with which the PCMCIA port wouldn't interfere. I know when I had my A600 I had an accelerator with 8 megs of RAM, and I also had a SurfSquirrel attached to the PCMCIA -- both got along really well!

To be honest, I really don't need my Amiga hooked up to the internet if I can just transfer files from my PC->Amiga via the serial cable. From the looks of it I need a 9-pin female to 25-pin female null modem cable to do this (along with the explorer software). However it doesn't appear that they make such a cable, as they all seem to be 9-Pin Female to 25-pin Male. I suppose I could use a gender changer...

Has anyone else tried to do this?

Tempest

To be honest, I really don't need my Amiga hooked up to the internet if I can just transfer files from my PC->Amiga via the serial cable. From the looks of it I need a 9-pin female to 25-pin female null modem cable to do this (along with the explorer software). However it doesn't appear that they make such a cable, as they all seem to be 9-Pin Female to 25-pin Male. I suppose I could use a gender changer...

Tempest

Yes, I've used both PC2AM and Amiga Explorer over parallel/serial connection. It does work, but it really sucks compared to the speed of using a PCMCIA NIC/TCP stack on the Amiga and Amiga Explorer ;)

Tempest

Yes, I've used both PC2AM and Amiga Explorer over parallel/serial connection. It does work, but it really sucks compared to the speed of using a PCMCIA NIC/TCP stack on the Amiga and Amiga Explorer ;)

Can it use a parallel port instead of the serial? Speed isn't all that important, I'm just going to transfer the occasional file now and then, the bluk of the stuff is already on there.

I wouldn't be against setting up the ethernet, but it sounds complicated. Not to mention I still have to get files over to the Amiga to set up the TCP stack.

Tempest

Finidng that 3COM card isn't easy, I think it's out of production. I did find one on ebay though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=103001136423

There are actually lots of them, but most are missing the cable (dongle). I'll try for this one and then worry about setting the TCP stack.

Tempest

Anyone every tried one of these? Seems to be a nice all-in-one kind of deal.

That might save you a bit on the searching and setup piece. Overall price isn't bad for a little kit. I think my 3Com card cost me around $25 at the time.

That Amiga Keyring site linked by Ze_ro above has a nice walkthrough of the Miami setup posted. Setting up Miami is pretty easy, provided you don't run into any library dependency issues - i.e. running an older version of WB...

PC2AM supports serial/paralell - Amiga Explorer is serial/TCPIP.

Go for a NIC and IP setup - it's worth it. And you've come this far already after all ;)

http://it.aminet.net/hard/drivr/cnetdevice.lha is the device you'll need to get a 3COM based card working. Inside the archive is a list of tested PCMCIA ethernet cards. I've got a Netgear and a PC Gold card working flawlessly.

Alternately, you can try using this driver:

http://de4.aminet.net/hard/drivr/prism2.lha

It is a wireless driver for a bunch of PCMCIA wireless cards. Having wireless on your Amiga 1200 is damn cool.

For a TCP/IP stack, I second Genesis if you're running OS 2.1->3.1. Or, you could just pony up a few bucks and pick up Workbench 3.9 which has a TCP/IP stack included as well as a webbrowser. As long as you have a few hundred megs free and at least 12MB of RAM on that puppy, you should be good.

http://it.aminet.net/hard/drivr/cnetdevice.lha is the device you'll need to get a 3COM based card working. Inside the archive is a list of tested PCMCIA ethernet cards. I've got a Netgear and a PC Gold card working flawlessly.

It is a wireless driver for a bunch of PCMCIA wireless cards. Having wireless on your Amiga 1200 is damn cool.

For a TCP/IP stack, I second Genesis if you're running OS 2.1->3.1. Or, you could just pony up a few bucks and pick up Workbench 3.9 which has a TCP/IP stack included as well as a webbrowser. As long as you have a few hundred megs free and at least 12MB of RAM on that puppy, you should be good.

Is it the workbench version that affects game compatibility or is it the kickstart? I think I have workbench 3.0.

Tempest

Is it the workbench version that affects game compatibility or is it the kickstart? I think I have workbench 3.0.

Tempest

It's the Kickstart mostly. KS 3.0 or above isn't very compatible with older games, but you can grab www.whdload.de to get around this. This will allow you to run a lot (1,100) disk games off of the hard drive without compatibility issues.

It's the Kickstart mostly. KS 3.0 or above isn't very compatible with older games, but you can grab www.whdload.de to get around this. This will allow you to run a lot (1,100) disk games off of the hard drive without compatibility issues.

Yeah, I've noticed that lower WB/kickstart = better game compatibility, but also = horrendous application compatibility due to older libraries (a big problem I ran into when starting to use TCP stacks, zip utils, etc)

Whdload takes care of nearly all those pesky game problems. It just rules. :cool:

I haven't been able to get WHDLoad to work yet, when I try to run the setup it tells me there's some program missing (install or something like that). I think I need to download some program from the web or something to get it to work. I'll look into that once I get the internet working.

I have kickstart 3.0 I think. How hard is it to upgrade to 3.9? Do I have to get new roms in the machine and all that?

Tempest