IGNORED

Food Fight = wow

Atarifever

Yes, I know the topic has probably been talked to death here in the 7800 forums, but I just started to give in and collect games over the internet and not just in the wild (due manly to never finding anything in the wild anymore). I got Food Fight, Ball Blazer, and Galaga for the 7800 from the AA store, and I'm blown away. Before this I only managed to find 5 7800 games in the wild (all winners), and man was I missing out. I think Food Fight might be the best game I've ever played. It's so simple looking that at first I thought I'd hate it (I have nothing against simple games, but this seemed especially sparse for an 8-bit generation system). However, I can't stop playing. This game has single handedly made the 7800 one of my favorite systems (well, Joust and Dig Dug helped a lot too).

By the way, does anyone else here prefer 7800 Galaga to the NES version? I know the NES version is more arcade perfect, but for some reason I'm finding it a lot more fun on the 7800.

I like Galaga to a point, what frustrates me is the bad collision detection. If you feel like you've been on one wave for a while thats because the bullets don't register a hit unless you hit the things right in the center, not too much of a big deal, just mainly annoying. I don't remember food fight, so I'll have to hook up the ol 7800 and try it out. *shutters at the fact i want to hook up my 7800*

I agree with you 100% on Food Fight. I'd say it's the system's best.

However, I gotta disagree with you on Galaga. The thing that ruins it for me is the stuttering mess the game becomes after wave 10.

See that's the weird part. I don't see it as stuttering at that point. I figured that'd be a problem for some people, but to me it just feels really fast after level 10. I can see what you mean (especially having only ever played Galaga on the NES before this and having played a lot of it on that system over the years), but it feels faster to me rather than stuttery. I also like the size of the ship more, as it now seems like it's possible to dodge (where I felt like my big ugly ship was the main reason for unavoidable deaths in the NES/ arcade version).

Edited by Atarifever

Yes, Food Fight is a great game on the 7800 and really shows off the system's abilities. I remember being floored when I first played it, and fortunately I had also played it in the arcade so I already had high expectatios. Definitely one of the best games on the system..

..Al

I picked up Food Fight fairly recently myself, and I played quite a bit that first evening... it's a good game for the system. In fact, it may have supplanted Tower Toppler and Xevious being my real favorites for the system, but I still have some testing to do. :D

I know how you feel, it's a fantastic game. I have a shelf full of 7800 games, Food Fight included, but no system to play it on. In all honesty, Food Fight and my Ms. Pac-man 7800 carts are the only two games(I own) that ever give me the urge to repurchase a 7800 unit.

I loved Food Fight, but the title of my favorite still goes to Asteroids. They worked wonders on that game. The arcade was good, yes, but the 7800 version is an improvement even over that.

Food Fight--well, it's funny, fast, and just plain addictive.

Food Fight is a good party game. Whenever you get an instant replay, everyone has to drink.

Too bad there's no simultaneous two player mode where you each go after a different cone on opposite sides of the playfield and maybe ONE of the deserts like the tomatoes can kill the other guy but the rest are harmless

Food Fight is wonderfulness. How many games out there give you that feeling of accomplishment you get from the instant replay? (even if you're not all that sure exactly WHY you got one. :) )

PGA Tour Golf. :) [Then again, you have to do something pretty impressive to get a replay....]

Really, the instant replay in Food Fight just makes it even more fun!

I also love Food Fight on the 7800. Definitely one of my go-to games on any system that I pop in when I can't decide what I want to play (like last night, for example).

I just don't like Xevious on the 7800. Maybe I missed something - I'll give it another shot - but it always felt slow, ugly, hard, and just... not fun. On the other hand, I prefer 7800 Galaga to the coin-op because there's a nice ramp up of easy levels to start off with. ;)

[Edit] I gave 7800 Xevious another shot last night, and I did enjoy it more than I remembered. Not one of my favorites, but perhaps not as bad as I previously thought. Funny how that happens some times. I hadn't played it in a long time, sometimes you remember games being better than they actually are and apparently, sometimes worse.

Edited by BydoEmpire

PGA Tour Golf. :) [Then again, you have to do something pretty impressive to get a replay....]

Really, the instant replay in Food Fight just makes it even more fun!

Perhaps, but does a PGA Tour Golf instant replay have its own musical theme? :)

That musical theme would make anything hilareous. I need to find it and play it at random intervals in the day. Whatever I'm doing will feel like an episode of Laurel and Hardy.