IGNORED

Area 51 Monitor Problems

jhansen

Please help. I have an Area 51 arcade game. When you first start the machine the screen is very clear. However, during play, the screen slowly becomes unfocused until it is becomes difficult to play. I cannot adjust the focus to resolve the problem. If the game sits for awhile the problem goes clears up and then reoccurs with the next game.

Does anybody have any ideas what my issues may be.

Thanks

Do you know if your monitor automatically degauses itself? That may be part of the problem if it is randomly degaussing itself during the game.

Also, I would get a voltmeter and check the power on the power supply, just to make sure the board is okay.

No clue if either of these will help. If not, can you describe the problem in a little more detail?

quote:

Originally posted by jhansen:

Please help. I have an Area 51 arcade game. When you first start the machine the screen is very clear. However, during play, the screen slowly becomes unfocused until it is becomes difficult to play. I cannot adjust the focus to resolve the problem. If the game sits for awhile the problem goes clears up and then reoccurs with the next game.

Does anybody have any ideas what my issues may be.

Thanks

This could be any number of things, however, it's very likely in need of a Cap Kit. If the screen is blury, it could also indicate a problem with the Flyback.

A Cap Kit is easy to do, and cheaper than replacing the Fly Back.

Word of warning, the Monitor maintains a charge of around 19,000 Volts (even unplugged) and could kill you. If you have never worked on monitors, you need to read as much as you can about it or find someone to do it for you.

I have a tutorial on my site on how to do a Cap Kit and it has links to other sources on how to do Cap Kits. I suggest you read them all, then re-read them again to make sure you are comfortable doing it.

Its scary as hell the first time you do it (and several times after that ), and you should ALWAYS respect the monitor. I got bit by the chassis the other day while fixing a Ms. Pac Monitor for Ron. It was just off the Big CAP on the board, but it was enough to get my attention

Area 51 should be a JAMMA game, so if you have another JAMMA board around, you can also double check to make sure its not a board problem (unlikely based on your description).

Here is the link: http://www.arcaderestoration.com/index.asp...=3&DATA=4&CBT=3

Good luck!