IGNORED

Pac Munchkin and ET's Candy Bars (rehacked for color!)

Pac Munchkin

Everyone I am very proud to present you with my newest hacks Pac Munchkin and ET's Candy Bars! Every color in Atari's Pac Man I have Hacked!

These games will blow you away!!!!

I am still stunned over them my self.

I had to butcher a few dozen ROMs to find these registers but I found them it was all worth it.

These look good enough to sell on Cartridges!

I feel like these are my masterpieces so far!

Ok to tell you how these look and what I changed.

Pac Munchkin I did my first hack first

Screen color Black

Maze color dark purple

Pac Munchkin light blue

4 Monsters Red Green Yellow and Blue

I also changed the death sequence to be more like I remember in KC Munchkin.

This is so COOL!!!!!!!!! I am stunned it is mine, I have only been hacking slightly over a week now since my very first hack which was this game.

If I had screen shots I know you would be stunned I am this is so cool!!

Now ET's Candy Bars!

ET is a dark Green

The soldiers are all wearing a lighter green army battle fatigues

The screen color is gray for to concrete floors of the building

The maze color is dark brown for the chocolate candy bars

When ET eats a power pod the soldiers all turn yellow and run

Lastly I changed to color of the payer bar to purple for player one and gray for player two.

ENJOY these I am deeply proud to call these my hacks to think these were once Atari Pac Man is amazing!

They are beautiful, Pac Munchkin is bright and fun, ET's Candy Bars is dark and sinister.

Enjoy and let me know what you think too! :-D

Wade Casaldi

<---------- April 1 is that way.

Sorry I am having problems here tonight first I accidently did a doouble post now the post with ROMs is missing.

here are the ROMs.

Enjoy! :-D

Let me know what you think please.

Wade

Those are pretty cool. Too bad you didn't base the Pac hack off one of these

Hack-em - http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55226

8K Pac-man - http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...pacman&st=0

Nukey's already done the hard work you'd just need to change the graphics. Also I think the source is in his posts so you could more easily modify the mazes.

-Jeff

OK. Got them now.

By the sound of the first post you just pulled apart carts and glued stuff together or something.

There seems to be a constant background noise, even before the game starts, but that might just be the emulator (older Stella).

There seems to be a constant background noise, even before the game starts, but that might just be the emulator (older Stella).

I don't hear any background noise with the current development code (in CVS), or with the latest release of Stella (2.2).

OK. Got them now.

By the sound of the first post you just pulled apart carts and glued stuff together or something.

Oh no what I meant by I had to butcher a few dozen ROMs is unlike most seasoned hackers that know source code and can read it my approach to hacking is like carpet bombing the whole ROM until I hit something that changes, like in this case I was looking for color registers.

Once I find the registers then I know what to do from there with my understanding of binary I can put in the numbers I want to.

I tried disassembling ROMs twice and could not make anything out of what I was seeing.

For example I did find PF0 which is play field color, but I was expecting to find a number to change next to it assembly does not work that way so that meant it was in one of the LDA's or STA's I don't know they both seem the same to me.

So I much rather just change every byte in the ROM to find what I am looking for, I go about 40 lines at a time, this approach I find everything I need but it does end up butchering a lot of ROM images. So I save the original in a separate folder and work on the one in my Stella X I run a line down 40 lines and see what happens do it again and again until the ROM can't take it anymore and crashes, then I start over where I left off.

If I find something changes I then go one line at a time until I zone in on it and find an address I need.

I admit it is a very crude way of hacking but I can't read source code so if I want to change things I need to explore the ROM.

Oh here is a tip to make Pac Man almost insanely hard to play if you want.

change the value of this address.

also here seems to do the same thing

0056C

these are Bit Hacker I don't know what they would look like in Assembly.

If you change these it seems up or down does not make any difference the ghost are much faster and track you much more, plus when you eat a power pill they get away much better.

Wade

I don't hear any background noise with the current development code (in CVS), or with the latest release of Stella (2.2).

I agree with you , mine has no back ground noise I use Stella X 1.4.1

The only thing I changed were the graphics almost two weeks ago, my first hacks these were and now the colors.

I hated those original colors as much as I liked my first hacks I knew they could be better. that was why I was so excited to post that and share it with everyone. I wanted everyone to feel some of that excitement I felt in my break through.

Wade

Those are pretty cool. Too bad you didn't base the Pac hack off one of these

Hack-em - http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55226

8K Pac-man - http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...pacman&st=0

Nukey's already done the hard work you'd just need to change the graphics. Also I think the source is in his posts so you could more easily modify the mazes.

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I want to be a much better hacker before ever trying Nukey's stuff, his hacks make my jaw drop, that is a pretty tall standard to live up to, my hacks aren't that good yet.

Source code does me no good I can't read it, I am a bit hacker.

Also I am not sure about hacking 8 K that gets into bank switching I know nothing about that stuff.

Well I'm just a beginner hacker, I can do graphics very well because I used to do them for games in the 80's on my Commodore 64, I had this program called The Arcade Game Construction Kit, by Borderbund, that was so cool, if ever a programmer makes something like that to create games from menus for the Atari VCS There is going to be a big boom in great video games I am sure.

It was so easy to use and made games as good as any you could buy.

I made a KC Munchkin type game with I think I had 10 screens of mazes and each screen had a different kind and color so some have out lines others had solid walls it was really cool.

That was my greatest game I ever made, until these hacks it has been years since I ever did anything with games other than play other peoples games.

Wade

One of 'em seems like a reasonably familiar idea. :)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...amp;hl=Munchkin

Holy crap, I just realized I did that hack over a year ago! Didn't realize I'd been around here that long.

Wow I see that was your first hack and now it's my first hack too, yours is pretty good too, I like what you did with the sounds too.

Checking out the addresses Nukey gave you I couldn't make them out, in hex, I would need to look up lesser significant byte and higher significant byte and add them for every one of those.

I have the addresses like this from Bit Hacker.

0f2f Scared ghost color

0f35 Bar color player one

0f34 Bar color player two

0f2b Ghost

0f2c Ghost

0f2d Ghost

0f2e Ghost

0f33 Maze color

0f32 Screen color

0f31 Pac Man color

then these two addresses I found affect the ghost how they track and attack normal or sadistically.

0566 & 056c

So anyone here that does not know hex like I don't really can use these addresses in Bit Hacker , Showgfx or Hack-O-Matic.

He put the address not on the left as I thought but on the right I see now. Looking back and forth between the two now I see Nukey's has I'll use Pac Man color $ff31 where bit Hacker says 0f31. I just noticed that for all of them so it seems to find in bit hacker I would change the first f to a 0?

If that is the case this opens up a whole lot to me and just shaved very many hours off my future hacks!

I am starting to see that road map!!! :D

Wade

Actually my "munchkin" Pac-hack was my third hack, the first being a small graphical tweak on Rob Kudla's Space Invaders arcade hack - mostly just learning how to get things done.

Haven't done much hacking in a while, but my later hacks were much more extensive (and still done by bit-hacking) time and experience gets you far.