IGNORED

Comming soon Mad Max!

Pac Munchkin

quote name='usinoh' date='Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:43 AM' post='1100480']

You guys have done a great job with this HACK! The Graphics, the colors, the concept are all amazing. NEO if you do a cart release count me in :)

Thank you so much, Since all of you are being so good to Neo and I, I decided to give a history of the hack up to Neo coming in on the project.

It all started actually when I saw Neo's awesome hack Dragonsfire, it made me think of Fast Food in ways I never thought before. So I use to make Death Race games for my C 64 similar to the arcade game Death Race 2000 but their scrolling sideways or top down, so it never had the first person view the arcade game later turned into the arcade game turbo had. After playing dragonsfire I started thinking what if the mouth was a car and the food people. So I did my post on here about making Death Race 2000 which someone pointed out kindly to me Neo did that hack and did an excellent job on it. Also I thought the people would be coming at the car at different rates of speed so that concept was trashed almost as soon as I thought of it. Then I thought Mad Max everyone could be on motor cycles and the purple pickles would be great as trucks! So it was official I was to do Mad Max.

I began the hack from some of the things I found earlier trying to get color for the Fat Albert Hack, (which wasn't my hack only the color was). Then I kept poking around in bit hacker to find all the colors and I even found a bit to change the score to look cool with all zeros showing! I changed the score color and the background was in sections I was surprised to find but I changed all those colors. I made the car and had quite a hard time because of the 6 frames of animation in fast food I needed the car to stay still not jump up and down like the lips in fast food, I made the motor cycles that took a while to get them looking good with the limitation of space being only 8 bits across at one point they even looked like old touring motorcycles I was determined to get them looking like the choppers in the movie after four designs I knew I hit it and kept them. The car was originally thinner I found out the pixels stretch a little on screen so I built up the car to it's present state, the truck I was making similar to Activisions Chopper command trucks but with black tires and green trucks. The motor cycles were all silver with black tires and flesh colored heads on the riders. The hardest screens I worked on were the intermission and ending screens oh how I wished I could do like neo did for Dragons fire but I really worked hard to get just some words on like wreaked and dead and changed you're getting fatter to you're getting Madder. that seems simple but it is not the 2600 handles graphics like that weird I can't even explain because I don't understand. Well after working on getting the car shaking to a minimum I could not get it out entirely I was done and uploaded it.

Neo downloaded it and must have fell in love with it because next I get a message he made some changes I am free to use He was going to take no credit, I would not have that I loved his changes so much he changed the trucks to looks much better and made the car stop shaking and made the tires animate something I forgot to do as I was just trying to get the car to stop shaking! LOL

He made different colors for the bikes something I was tossing around trying but never did because I wanted the dark look of the movies cycles. But when I saw the colors it was an improvement, because it broke up the game and gave variety to it were as before it was very much almost like mono tone with all the cycles silver and the black car the only other color were the green trucks, and of course my back ground desert color choice.

So I said No I want to give Neo the credit he deserves and was and still am honored to have him working on Mad Max. he has made a lot of improvements since then it has come a long way, it is an honor to be a student at hacking and have a master hacker recognize I have something really good and worth perfecting.

I thought it was good as I up loaded it and found out it can be so much more, I am learning so much as a hacker and really appreciate everyone's help very much.

Neo can tell you the rest of the history if he pleases from where he took over for me. :D

Wade

Here is my to do list:

Change the Truck Hit indicator to a different color. :thumbsup:

Tweak the Game Over/Crash Screens. (Might stay like they are)

Tweak the bike colors. :thumbsup:

Design a new Label (Can't find any decent art) Anyone want to give it a try?

Write an instruction manual :thumbsup:

post-3832-1153095050_thumb.jpg

WIP Ver 2b BIN:

Mad_Max_WIP_V2b.bin

It's getting close to the end. Any other ideas?

Here is the text for the manual.

MAD MAX

The Road Warrior

My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos.

Ruined dreams. This wasted land. But most of all, I remember The Road Warrior. The man

we called "Max". To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time.

When the world was powered by the black fuel. And the desert sprouted great cities of

pipe and steel. Gone now, swept away. For reasons long forgotten, two mighty warrior

tribes went to war and touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were

nothing. They built a house of straw. The thundering machines sputtered and stopped.

Their leaders talked and talked and talked. But nothing could stem the avalanche. Their

world crumbled. The cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear. Men

began to feed on men. On the roads it was a white line nightmare. Only those mobile

enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the

highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice. And in this maelstrom of decay, ordinary

men were battered and smashed. Men like Max. The warrior Max. In the roar of an engine,

he lost everything. And became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted

by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here,

in this blighted place, that he learned to live again...

-HOW TO PLAY

Greetings from The Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland!

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla! The Humungus has sent his gang after you. Their

mistake. Take them out by ramming them off the road, Just be sure to stay clear of the Big Rigs.

Get hit by too many Big Rigs and it is Game Over.

--The Bad Guys

Ram the Bad Guys as they move towards you. You may roam around the

road in any direction. Missing a Bad Guy will not harm you, You just won't

recieve the points.

--Beware The BIG RIGS!!

A single collision is not fatal. Get hit by too many and it is Game Over!

Beware of the left side of the road. You have less time to react to a Big Rig.

The Bad Guys appear completely at random. There are no patterns

and no safe spots anywhere on the road.

--2 Player Games

For a 2 Player game push the SELECT switch. The DIFFICULTY switch has

no effect on either the single or two player games.

-CREDITS

Wade Casaldi - Game Idea and Graphics

Scott Dayton - Additional Graphics

AtariAge - Cartridge Services

I have a lot of Fan Art that will be included in the manual. It will be cleaned up.

post-3832-1153096111_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1153096136_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1153096162_thumb.jpg

Edited by neotokeo2001

Wow I love the manual the art work is great so is the story everything is perfect!

The hit indicator I like Red best, that was what I originally wanted but now seeing the colors I still like Red best although your Yellow choice looks pretty good too it matchs Mad Max at the bottom of the screen.

Can you find the hit adding bit and start it at 2 instead of zero? then it would be only four trucks hit and game over.

The only thing is if you started it at two I have to wonder if it would try to display you hit two trucks from the start?

Everything looks really great I can't wait to try out the newest version after I down load it. :cool:

Wade

Why *hasn't* any big company ever licensed this title? This would work GREAT around the GTA engine.

I've long been fascinated with these films, and related games etc. Did you know there was an official Mad Max game, for the NES? I'm not sure how many realized that it was essentially a port of the C64/Amiga (and maybe other platform) game "Road Raiders" aka "Motor Massacre". Those games fit into this general theme, though they could have done a lot more to properly tie the game in once they got the real license.

I agree that the GTA engine could be put to great use in this theme, though there have been some reasonably good games already. My favourites (besides the already mentioned Autoduel) are the recently released Hard Truck: Apocalypse, and the GBA game Car Battler Joe. Of course there are many games with just vehicular combat, but the addition of some RPG and story elements is what really interests me. Interstate '76 and Bandits: Phoenix Rising don't have RPG elements really, but at least there is a story from mission to mission.

Another Label

post-3832-1153622675_thumb.jpg

I am going to pretty much call this one a final. I can't figure out the life indicator so I won't be changing that. Any other ideas before carts are made?

I like the black lable best!

The hit indicator maybe on Z26 looks red but on Stella looks like light violet or hot pink.

So I have to wonder how it would look on a real Atari VCS.

Wade

The hit indicator maybe on Z26 looks red but on Stella looks like light violet or hot pink.

Wade

Looks like we will have to have 2 seperate cart editions. :D I am leaning toward the sand label version.

Jetset tested it on a real Atari 2600.

post-3832-1153667739_thumb.jpg

Looks close enough to me.

Wade

Looks like we will have to have 2 seperate cart editions. :D I am leaning toward the sand label version.

Jetset tested it on a real Atari 2600.

post-3832-1153667739_thumb.jpg

Looks close enough to me.

oh wow I had no idea the desert sand color would look so GREEN on a real Atari, 020D is play field since you can actually test it on a real Atari could you adjust it to the desert sand color I tried to get. On Stella it looks sand color but it is plain to see on Atari it looks very green.

The red does come out looking good!

If it is too late for that adjustment I understand.

Thanks so much for all the work you put into this I am very glad I shared it with you. :D

Wade

• 1 month later...

Oddly enough, the Mad Max story is actually a Christ story.

Interestingly evident in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome when the kids in that canyon village unveil a picture of Max (whom they have mistaken for Captain Walker having returned for them) in a form similar to that of Jesus Christ being crucified (sans the cross) with the form of kids riding upon him.

• 4 weeks later...