IGNORED

StanJr's Blog - NES Rarity Guide Project (Come help out!)

RSS Bot

Ok. I am sick and tired of not having a current, up to date, accurate NES rarity guide. Sick and tired. The Etler list is so out of touch it isn't funny, and there have been several good solid efforts in the past few years that just didn't survive. So sometimes if you want something you just have to build it yourself. And I think I am up to the task.

Using the wealth of materials from guides past and a ton of contemporary research I think we can make this work.

Goals: The purpose here is to create a modern rarity guide for all American release NES games. The Famicom is its own beast and I have little knowledge and no interest in building a guide for it. I'll leave that for someone better suited. This guide has no interest (well, passing interest at most) in prototypes or other unreleased games. Working with protos is 50% fact and 50% rumor and innuendo. I'm sure there are plenty of NES mavens who can give NES protos the time they deserve, they are not me. This guide will deal with label variations, but only once the initial guide begins to solidify. Variations breed contempt.

Me: I'm an idiot. All I know is that I have been playing and collecting NES games for about 15 years and I love love love the system and it is high time we had a guide to call rarity the way Albert and Alex so carefully constructed the VCS guide here at AA. I will get things wrong, a lot. There is plenty I do not know. Plenty. But I have the desire and the determinatin to get down to work on this and maybe make it happen.

You: Are welcome to help. I have no doubt that most of you out there know more than I do. I am going to rely on (and duly credit) you heavily from helping me tweak the rarities of the games and supply important information. I will pay you nothing, except compliments and gratitude, but if this thing takes off, you might be able to shamefully say quietly and under your breath, "I had a hand in that..."

How this works: I am going to start a Blog Entry for each tier of rarity (Extremely Rare, Very Rare, Moderately Rare, Common, Extremely Common). Within this entry I will list all of the games that I feel belong in this category. I will also rank the games using a number scale like the one here on AA. (example: the games in the Extremely Rare category will be ranked 10, 9, and 8 ) The number scale is just like the one here at AA with 10 being the rarest, 1 being the least rare. The list I provide is the starting point. From there I would like for anyone who is seriously interested to post any changes they would make to that list. You may change as much as you like and update your changes as you see fit. A minor shift in rarity is going to be expected, so you don't really need to justify those, but if you make a huge shift, I would ask that you explain the reason for the shift. I would like to avoid bickering and arguing at all costs, so if you have a legitimate issue about the suggested rarity of a title, please let us work it out in an intelligent manner. Entries that degenerate into nonsense will be locked. There are going to be disagreements, no doubt, but this is a cooperative effort, please keep that in mind.

This is an ongoing project. I do not expect it to wrap up in a handful of days, so be ready for the long haul. Contribute as much or as little as you desire, but I know your input is invaluable and will make all the difference.

Wanna help?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=1680