IGNORED

Does anyone have Ultima VI original uncracked images?

VW

Hmm. Don't know what the maximum message size is, but let's see what happens.

OK, looks like that worked :)

Big thanks DarkLord, this is very cool - I've never seen the original pre installed copies of this game! :D

Don't know that the initial problem was but your attachments got

though and finally, so did mine. Sorry I didn't see your post before

I posted mine...

I've always been a big Ultima fan, from when I first played UIII Exodus

on my trusty 'ole 800XL, right up through U7, which I play under Linux.

I think U5 is my personal favorite - I think its just got an awesome story

line to it.

Ultima 6 has a lot going for it. Hard disk installation is always a big plus,

and the fact that its compatible with the Falcon is great too. I'd give my

right arm though, if they would have used the 256 color PC VGA graphics

for the Falcon, or at least redrawn the original EGA screens to take

advantage of the ST. Most places in the game are still acceptable, its

just really noticeable in places like facial portraits (character faces).

I still love it though. :)

PS Just for sheer experimentation, I tried copying the graphics sets from

the PC version onto the U6 install on my Falcon. I knew it was an extremely

long shot that something like that would work, and I was right, It just crashes

out.

I've always been a big Ultima fan, from when I first played UIII Exodus

on my trusty 'ole 800XL, right up through U7, which I play under Linux.

I think U5 is my personal favorite - I think its just got an awesome story

line to it.

Ultima 6 has a lot going for it. Hard disk installation is always a big plus,

and the fact that its compatible with the Falcon is great too. I'd give my

right arm though, if they would have used the 256 color PC VGA graphics

for the Falcon, or at least redrawn the original EGA screens to take

advantage of the ST.

The disks checkout fine in Steem w/Pasti - sweet! I'll take a (rather simple) look to see if I can find any physical copy protection. :cool:

I've been a huge Ultima fan as well since the beginning. I've got most of the originals CIB. But it was UIV for me that really changed things, I played that game for a long time.

Better graphics would have been a plus for UVI, but it does look pretty decent. Watching the installer I saw at least one file that had an .EGA extender. :lol:

Edited by remowilliams

The disks checkout fine in Steem w/Pasti - sweet! I'll take a (rather simple) look to see if I can find any physical copy protection. :cool:

I've been a huge Ultima fan as well since the beginning. I've got most of the originals CIB. But it was UIV for me that really changed things, I played that game for a long time.

Better graphics would have been a plus for UVI, but it does look pretty decent. Watching the installer I saw at least one file that had an .EGA extender. :lol:

I don't remember it ever asking to insert floppy disk x, or anything

like that. It was always a question asked by one of the characters

in the game. I believe its Lord British at first. The answers are in the

manual, so be sure and copy the list that Tempest was nice enough

to post.

Gosh yeah, Ultima 4 set new standards for RPGs. Like you, I spent

literally days and weeks playing it. Loved every minute of it. :)

Yeah, looks like the easiest (but certainly not the best!) way for

whoever ported it was just to grab and use the EGA screens. Man,

they may be 16 colors, but the sure don't come anywhere near

looking as good as ST 16 color screens do.... Its okay, as far as

the in game tile sets, objects, creatures, etc, but I always really

notice it when it comes to your characters faces.

Still a great game though! :)

Hey DarkLord, thanks for all your help on this, but please excuse me for asking for one more thing regarding this game. I am really trying to play Ultima 6 on an original ST so Pasti images don't help me as I can't write them back to an ST disk. From the sounds of things, this game is probably not physically copy protected so if you could try using makedisk or something equivalent to make .st images I would really appreciate it. Or if anyone could tell me how to convert pasti STX images to regular ST images I would appreciate that as well. Thanks again for sharing this game, all I need to do now is complete Ultima V to be ready for it, which I'm sure will only take another month or two.

It seems that the game.prg file has read errors on the installer disk. Although the U6 installer passed through it's HD installation routine with the .stx images, the game.prg was zero length on the HD. Consequently upon actually going into the main game, it hangs :|

I don't think this is due to copy protection, but rather a physical error. I'm no expert, just guessing. I've replaced the game.prg with a 'good' copy in the installed HD directory and zipped it up. I'll attach it here - if you have a HD on your ST you should be able to unzip this to the HD and start playing. Playing this on HD would be the way to go in any case, as the installer will create four floppies that you'd be swapping around while playing that way.

Darklord - if you put that installer disk in your ST, can you copy all the files from it at the GEM desktop?

ULTIMA6__HD.installed_.zip

Or if anyone could tell me how to convert pasti STX images to regular ST images I would appreciate that as well.

Load your favorite disk copier under Steem. When prompted for source disk, load the Pasti image. When prompted for the destination, enter a blank 720 image disk.

But note that the installer disk seems to be damaged. So you'll get a sector read error.

It seems that the game.prg file has read errors on the installer disk...

It seems indeed to be a hard error, not a protection (but I didn't made any detailed checks). Just one sector.

Darklord - if you put that installer disk in your ST, can you copy all the files from it at the GEM desktop?

May be trying to image the disk once again could also help. Many times sectors are borderline, then it might be read ok other time.

Is there an internal compressor tool that isn't available in the general release, or is this due to other factors?

Not at compressor. But there are preservation tools, not released to the public, that can significantly decrease the image size.

It seems that the game.prg file has read errors on the installer disk. Although the U6 installer passed through it's HD installation routine with the .stx images, the game.prg was zero length on the HD. Consequently upon actually going into the main game, it hangs :|

I don't think this is due to copy protection, but rather a physical error. I'm no expert, just guessing. I've replaced the game.prg with a 'good' copy in the installed HD directory and zipped it up. I'll attach it here - if you have a HD on your ST you should be able to unzip this to the HD and start playing. Playing this on HD would be the way to go in any case, as the installer will create four floppies that you'd be swapping around while playing that way.

Hmm, thats not good. I don't remember having any problems installing this game. Note

that I've only installed it twice - once to an ST, and once to my Falcon. After that, I burnt

it to CD so I wouldn't have to fool with the floppies any more.

Yes, I just grabbed several files at random from the installer disk and was able to copy them

to my Falcons' hard drive. Including GAME.PRG...

They must be compressed though. Look at this:

HD (installed) copy on my Falcon:

GAME.PRG - 257.196 bytes

Floppy (installer) disk:

GAME.PRG - 137844 bytes

Or did you have something else in mind?

It seems that the game.prg file has read errors on the installer disk...

It seems indeed to be a hard error, not a protection (but I didn't made any detailed checks). Just one sector.

May be trying to image the disk once again could also help. Many times sectors are borderline, then it might be read ok other time.

Okay, as it turns out, I've got -> 2 <- complete boxed copies of Ultima 6.

I've still got the receipt - I purchased the 2nd copy from another Atari

user way back when.

I've redoing the installer disk from the 2nd copy with Pasti and uploading it

here. Let me know if it has the same errors. A size comparison between

GAME.PRG on both installer disks from both copies shows the same size

on each floppy.

u6_inst.zip

Let me know if this one is okay guys!

Hey DarkLord, thanks for all your help on this, but please excuse me for asking for one more thing regarding this game. I am really trying to play Ultima 6 on an original ST so Pasti images don't help me as I can't write them back to an ST disk. From the sounds of things, this game is probably not physically copy protected so if you could try using makedisk or something equivalent to make .st images I would really appreciate it. Or if anyone could tell me how to convert pasti STX images to regular ST images I would appreciate that as well. Thanks again for sharing this game, all I need to do now is complete Ultima V to be ready for it, which I'm sure will only take another month or two.

Umm, I guess I'm showing my naive side, but what produces ST images? :(

I've got MSA...I'll upload the 3 disks after MSA gets done with it. Is that okay,

I hope?

Let me know how they turn out...

U6_MSA.zip

here. Let me know if it has the same errors.

Oddly enough, this one also seems to have errors, but in a different physical location.

I've got MSA...I'll upload the 3 disks after MSA gets done with it. Is that okay,

I hope?

You can make .ST images inside of Steem, or use other programs like MSATOST for conversion, etc.

As far as these three MSA's - I think we have a winner! :)

I imaged them back to floppies and installed them on STacy's HD here, and they seem work fine! Woohoo! :D

here. Let me know if it has the same errors.

Oddly enough, this one also seems to have errors, but in a different physical location.

I hope?

You can make .ST images inside of Steem, or use other programs like MSATOST for conversion, etc.

As far as these three MSA's - I think we have a winner! :)

I imaged them back to floppies and installed them on STacy's HD here, and they seem work fine! Woohoo! :D

Whew, great!

Just let me add to the "odd" side of this though...

MSA would only make images from disk 1+2 of the first U6 boxed set, but not disk 3.

It also would make images from disks 2+3 on the 2nd U6 boxed set, but not disk 1.

SO...if I hadn't had 2 diff. copies, I couldn't have gotten all 3 disks with MSA.

I guess we can put it off to media degeneration? I mean, its been a while since those

floppy disks have even seen the light of day... :D

BTW, if those floppy disks had copy protection onboard, would Pasti or MSA have

worked with them? I was just wondering...

Thanks.

DarkLord, thanks a million! I converted your MSA files to ST files and everything seems to work great. I'm so inspired that this game supports hard drives that I am going to try to find one on Ebay since mine died a while back. Anyhow, thanks a lot and you or anyone else let me know if you need original images of Ultima V or Wishbringer or Pasti images of Time Bandit, Alternate Reality the City, Bard's Tale I, SimCity or F15 Strike Eagle.

Edited by VW

Okay, I've done some scans... Sorry for the poor quality.

I've only got an old Umax Astra 1200s scanner. Seems

fitting to use the scanner that works with my Atari's

though. :)

The only thing I could not scan was the map. Its both

longer and wider than my scanner. I tried, it would have

took piecing together 4 pics or so. I messed around

with it under the GIMP, but could not get it to come out

looking right. So I included a map I found off the Internet.

Hope this is okay for everyone.

"REFG" is the reference guide. "COMP" is the Compendium.

"MISC" covers the rest... box scans, map, etc,...

Thanks...

Okay, here we go again. For some reason I can't upload

the entire file. I'll try breaking it up.... :(

U6_MISC.zip

U6REFG_1.zip

U6REFG_2.zip

U6_COMP1.zip

U6_COMP2.zip

U6_COMP3.zip

U6_COMP4.zip

U6_COMP5.zip

Edited by DarkLord

Anyhow, thanks a lot and you or anyone else let me know if you need original images of ... or Pasti images of ... Alternate Reality the Dungeon

I suppose you mean "The City", and not "The Dungeon". Because I never heard The Dungeon was released for the ST.

If you indeed happens to have the Dungeon, please do and post a Pasti image (actually, please post as much as you can as well: disk scan, box scan).

DarkLord, thanks a million! I converted your MSA files to ST files and everything seems to work great. I'm so inspired that this game supports hard drives that I am going to try to find one on Ebay since mine died a while back. Anyhow, thanks a lot and you or anyone else let me know if you need original images of Ultima V or Wishbringer or Pasti images of Time Bandit, Alternate Reality the Dungeon, Bard's Tale I, SimCity or F15 Strike Eagle.

You, and everyone else, are very welcome.

Glad I could help. :)

Oops you're right ijor, I meant the City, I have edited my previous post to change that. Do you need anything from the City, I have the instruction book, maps and disk but not the box.