IGNORED

Sony Ad....WTF?

Hmmm What's racist about a white chick squeezing a black dudes cheeks? He looks like he likes it.

Which, even if it were true, would actually make it more racist.

Let's say the ad showed a white plantation owner whipping one of his slaves, and the slave was smiling. "Look, he's not suffering, he likes being a slave!" Or, to go even further, what if you'd shown a bunch of hooded KKK members with shotguns chasing after a grinning black man?

Whose interests would that ad be serving? Does the apparent joy on the victim's face make the act more or less demeaning?

If you take a racist ad and depict the victim as enjoying their humiliation, all you're doing is trying to justify your racist stance. "See? Racism's not so bad! They like it!" Which is more racist than if you'd shown them suffering.

I don't really see a smile, though, personally. But it's still a racist ad, just not as bad as it could have been. The first time I saw this, I only saw the image, and I don't think the image by itself is necessarily racist. It's only if you see the world in terms of different colors of skin that it would be.

BUT, when you then add the text that they've got there, it crosses the line. Because now Sony's saying specifically that they chose those two people because one is black and one is white, and the white one is dominating the black. Not only that, but the text is completely categorical - it's not "the white PSP is coming", it's "White is coming".

Put together, this is about as blatantly racist as an ad from a mainstream company has gotten in the past 20 years or so, at least that I can remember.

Man, that ad went completely over my head the first time I saw it. Not until you pointed out the (now) obvious connections to slavery, shotguns, and the Klan did I realize how racist I was being. Here I was thinking that I might enjoy that kind of treatment from Mistress PSP-White, but didn't take the time to see it from the black man's perspective.

This is going to cost Sony dearly in the african american high end portable demographic. DEARLY.

That white woman looks really scary with that face and hair.

Still, the intro of the PSP White makes me wonder if they will introduce it in other colors.

Not that I want to see more ads like that one to make such an intro.

Edited by Vic George 2K3

theyll do what nintendo does apparently... like the controller, and now the white "lite" look of the psp. so id be paying attention to nintendo to get cues on what sony will do with the psp.

I'm no Sony fan, but the PSP was in white first.

They just didn't bring it out of Japan immediatly.

Let's keep the Sony bashing to things they actually do.

theyll do what nintendo does apparently... like the controller, and now the white "lite" look of the psp. so id be paying attention to nintendo to get cues on what sony will do with the psp.

ok,... sorry i dont know everything like you do.. i wasnt trying to be unfairly bashing of them, i just wasnt aware of that.

However, i was still right in them stealing the Wii controll.. and that was rather stupid of them, sorry..

Actually, that is not correct, the first Japanese PSP's were all black and had Firmware V1.0 on them. The fact that the white PSP was in Japan first and has been for a long time, is still correct.

Damn dont you geeks ever look at your sister's fashion magazines for stray boob shots? Thats template typical fashion advertising, something like that wouldnt even raise an eyebrow in Vogue or Elle. It all makes a lot more sense when your upscale mall gets one of those "can we go to bestbuy now" SonyStyle boutiques.

ok,... sorry i dont know everything like you do.. i wasnt trying to be unfairly bashing of them, i just wasnt aware of that.

However, i was still right in them stealing the Wii controll.. and that was rather stupid of them, sorry..

I wasn't trying to be insulting.

Actually, that is not correct, the first Japanese PSP's were all black and had Firmware V1.0 on them. The fact that the white PSP was in Japan first and has been for a long time, is still correct.

Meant to say the white PSP predates the DSLite. Worded that VERY poorly. Sorry for the confusion.

If we all knew as much as JB, this world would be a much much much better place. :D

Not until you pointed out the (now) obvious connections to slavery, shotguns, and the Klan

This is going to cost Sony dearly in the african american high end portable demographic. DEARLY.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but slavery, the KKK and whatnot are pretty American issues. I'd be surprised to learn that most people in Europe know anything about those things.

I'm not saying of course that racism doesn't exist everywhere, but know that it is a much bigger deal in the US than most places

Edited by figgler

KKK isn't the only racist outfit around...

Europe's got pretty severe problems with racism (neo-Nazis in Germany, neo-fascists in Italy, anti-Arab movements in France, anti-Pakistani movements in the UK, "ethnic tension" in pretty much every eastern European nation), and those movements often have a lot of political capital. There's a lot of anger over immigration, a lot of resentment over religious differences, etc. Also, European colonialism/subjugation ended in many nations within living memory (some African countries in the late 1960's), with a lot of tensions lingering from that.