IGNORED

Playstation CDs with scratches?

Hi, I hope you'll tolerate a total n00b question, because I generally don't do modern systems. I had a chance to buy a few Playstation (original, not PS2) games today, but I passed on them because they had some minor scratches on them. Do the CD-based systems tend to do OK with games with minor scratches on them? At the asking price, I wasn't comfortable taking a chance, and I've never thought to ask before.

If they do have scratches, do the same tricks to polish out scratches on an audio CD or DVD work fine on game discs?

Thanks!

gnenerally systems like dreamcast, ps2, and saturn have hard times with scratches, so its best to try to clean them to perfection before buying.

However, psone games are very durable. You can have a disk that looks like its been beat to hell and it loads... the only problem ive ever had is audio cutting out..other than that its fine.

My experience has been that PS2 games are the best with reading over scratches, however the PS1 is the worst.

I won't buy a PS1 game unless the bottom is shiny and perfect. If it's a really good bargain and they aren't in perfect condition, I take the chance and take them to my buddy that owns a game shop in town. He has a CD buffer and fixes them for me for free.

One thing to BEWARE of on PS1: If the label is scratched, IT WILL NOT PLAY and CANNOT be fixed.

well yea, the label thing applies to any cd / dvd run game.

and like i said the psone disks are very tough...

btw Squaresoft games are the worst.. anything WILL mess them up, they are the worst to keep up lol.

well yea, the label thing applies to any cd / dvd run game.

and like i said the psone disks are very tough...

Actually, it's only valid on CDs.

CD(and the Dreamcast-exclusive GD variant) has the reflector foil right under the label. There's only a thin layer of lacquer and some ink between it and total destruction.

DVD has the reflector right smack in the middle of the disk(likely due to the double-sided format that no one really liked). Regardless of which side is scratched, the damage has to go equally deep to hurt the reflector. This is a MASSIVE improvement over CD's virtually defenseless foil.

Personally, I haven't had any problem with minor scratches on any of my disk games.

And yes, all the fixes for "normal" CD and DVD scratches work on game disks.

There's no diffrence between the 2 from a physical standpoint.

d00d, th4t wuz 4 tot4l n00b qu35t10n! :P

Just kidding with ya.

I'd ask the vendor if thay can buff or polish the discs on the spot. Also, ask if you can test them even if you have to bring a PSX in to do it. Most good dealers will allow that. If they wo't, then I guess they don't need the sales!

And yes, all the fixes for "normal" CD and DVD scratches work on game disks.

There's no diffrence between the 2 from a physical standpoint.

Cool. Thanks. I felt like a total n00b for asking that, but when I saw the black plastic on those PS1 discs, it made me wonder about them.

Yah. The black plastic is exploiting the fact that CDs use infrared lasers for a cool visual effect.

It's also not actually black. Actual color varies from game to game, but red and blue are common. Hold it up to the light if you don't believe me. :)

In my experiance, CD bassed game systems fare fairly well with scratches. Especially the PSX, with the black CD's that seem to I don't know, kind of hide the scratches from the laser eye. Even if the disc is scratched to hell, you can run it through a Disc Doctor type of device and buff the big ones out and bring it back to life useually.

Now the newer systems, I'd be a little more wary of scratches. You can useualy buff them out and still get them to work, but it's not nearly as reliable to get them to work as with CD's.