IGNORED

Cross system hacking

Pac Munchkin

I just discovered using two Bit Hackers side by side I can cross system hack, I was experimenting on transferring the graphics the real Odessy II KC Munchkin over to Nukey's 8K Pac-Man, so bit by bit I copied over, it would be nice if a program was made to cut and paste also preview spirites.

It looks neat seeing the actual original spirites transferred.

Small problem Pac Man has three frames of animation kC Munchkin has two, so I chose to make two with the open mouth which makes the animation slower, the only other option would be to "make" an in between animation myself, then KC Munchkin would have three just like Pac Man.

I have up and right looking perfectly but down and left are a little messed up slightly, I can't find the problem yet.

Here is how I did it, I opened Bit Hacker for O2 KC Munchkin ROM, then I opened another Bit Hacker for 8K Pac Man. I imagine any 8bit graphics from any ROM for any system can be transferred over to VCS hacks, that would mean Coleco vision graphics should be able to be ported over to VCS.

Oh no ROM I am just goofing around seeing what can be done, if it turns out well then I will upload it.

Wade

Edited by Pac Munchkin

I just discovered using two Bit Hackers side by side I can cross system hack, I was experimenting on transferring the graphics the real Odessy II KC Munchkin over to Nukey's 8K Pac-Man, so bit by bit I copied over, it would be nice if a program was made to cut and paste also preview spirites.

Well if all you need is a hacking tool with support for editing/copying/pasting/converting graphics, you could try Tile Molester. Just select the Atari2600 ROM you wish to edit, and then select "1 bpp linear" on the "view->codec" menu, and, in "view->blocksize->custom", select columns = 1.

BTW, can't wait to see what you have achieved! ;)

Edited by haroldoop

Well if all you need is a hacking tool with support for editing/copying/pasting/converting graphics, you could try Tile Molester. Just select the Atari2600 ROM you wish to edit, and then select "1 bpp linear" on the "view->codec" menu, and, in "view->blocksize->custom", select columns = 1.

BTW, can't wait to see what you have achieved! ;)

Wow thanks,

It looks complex but worth trying.

Wade

What I have so far,

Here is what I have so far, I am trying hard to do Nukey's Pac Hack justice.

The death sequence is messed up I can not find parts of the death sequence and the correct order but it does have much of the KC Munchkin death sequence in it.

The monsters now tilt their heads down or back as the go up or down exactly like in KC munchkin (that is something I forgot about with my other munchkin hacks.

Munchkin has that familiar hexagon shape but I was surprised to see how it is achieved what looks uniform to our eyes in play really is not in pixels, that is how it was as big as Pac man but had the hex shape.

every thing is exactly copied bit for bit from KC Munchkin.

because Pac Man uses three frames for animation instead of two, and using two for full open mouth looks like it slows down the eating, I made middle part way open mouth to put between, this never existed in KC Munchkin but looks good and smoothes the open close sequence.

I can't yet find the colors or the proper dying sequence but enjoy what I achieved so far.

Wade

Munchkin__8K_Pac_hack_wc_7_17_06_WIP.bin

Love the hack. Can hardly wait for the right colors. Think you could change the sound as well?

Would it be possible to move sprites from one 2600 game to another? Adventure could sure use a better dragon like the one in Dragonfire. Or maybe better looking enemies in Sorceror.

How about changing the graphics in Adventure to look like something froom Quest for the Rings?

Good work, all told.

Love the hack. Can hardly wait for the right colors. Think you could change the sound as well?

Would it be possible to move sprites from one 2600 game to another? Adventure could sure use a better dragon like the one in Dragonfire. Or maybe better looking enemies in Sorceror.

How about changing the graphics in Adventure to look like something froom Quest for the Rings?

Good work, all told.

You know what you are right, I never thought of it, but all those old games could be changed, I could change that stupid square block into the runing man from dragon fire, and change the dragon too.

I have to admit Adventure was never really my game but this would be a neat hack.

I don't see why not but remember I am a beginer hacker so maybe I am a little off on this?

Wade