IGNORED

How many cart copies of SteamRoller were produced?

As the title says, I have a quick-and-simple question about SteamRoller for ColecoVision: Do any of you guys know how many carts were produced and sold under the Retrotopia label, back in 2000? I tried to find the answer to this question on the net, but I couldn't find the exact figure.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

I don't know how many were manufactured, but what an awesome game! I remember one of the Classic Gaming Expos where I spent most of an afternoon playing it at the BSR's booth. There was a copy that sold on eBay for a little over $300 (it was $310 or $330) about a month ago. I'll try and find the auction, maybe it lists the production run.

I just searched and didn't find the auction. I suppose it may have been a bit more than a month ago, but it was within the past few months. Any idea what it originally sold for? $300 seems like a good return.

It was roughly 330$, if I remember correctly. I should know, since I'm the one who won that item on eBay. :D

I just searched and didn't find the auction. I suppose it may have been a bit more than a month ago, but it was within the past few months. Any idea what it originally sold for? $300 seems like a good return.

I don't know what the production run was, but the original price was $35.90.

Alright, I got an official answer from the good folks at IntellivisionLives.com, which is: "Fifty, plus or minus a few freebies to press people, Blue Sky Rangers, etc."

So I guess that answers that. :)

Was the rom for this ever released?

Sure, you can find it here, and a few other sites as well. Google is your friend.

To this day, I'm still kicking myself for not buying that Penguin Land CV cart when I had the chance (on eBay). That and also the Kevtris cartridge I once spotted on Atari2600.com... I won't make that kind of mistake again. :ponder:

How do you play this game? Are there instructions online?

None that I could find, but here are the instructions in a nutshell:

Steer with the joystick, brake with the button. You can perform a U-turn if you stop completely, press the joystick in the opposite direction, and then release the brakes.

Run over the potholes for points. If left unrepaired, potholes become manholes, which flash red and cannot be repaired. You can also run into harmless beachballs for points. When beachballs fall into manholes, they become beachbombs that destroy your steamroller on contact. They eventually blow up on their own, however, so just steer clear of them until they do.

Also steer clear of the red steamroller, who's only goal in life is to ram into you. In the two-player game, you get points for bumping the opponent from behind, but both players just bounce back if they collide head-on.

At the end of a round (when all beachballs/beachbombs are gone), an alarm will sound, and the roads will be washed over in black. You must escape through a gateway at the bottom of the screen without getting washed over. In the one-player game, the computer-controller steamroller becomes vulnerable and you can squash it for points during this wash-over emergency period.

Key icons represent bonus lives. Numbers are bonus points that are added to your score if you run over them. Gas Cans provide power-ups for several seconds (blue 'M' to repair manholes, red 'B' to squash beachbombs, black 'S' to smash the opponent's steamroller on contact). Endangered objects will flash and you will be immune to beachbombs and the other steamroller while the power-up is in effect.

I didn't include every detail of the instructions, but this should suffice. Hope it helps. :)