IGNORED

Kung Food

rockfistus

Those who consider KF to be the worst game for the Lynx (or any other console) have clearly never played Tournament Cyberball, Hard Drivin', or my least favourite, the horrible Ninja Gaiden III. Kung Food may not be an upper-tier Lynx game, but it's got appealing graphics, an interesting (if silly) theme, and is quite playable. It's also considerably easier than Dirty Larry and Batman Returns, both of which got much better press, and, best of all, it's very easy to find these days. I still find time to play it once in awhile. :)

Edited by davidcalgary29

Those who consider KF to be the worst game for the Lynx (or any other console) have clearly never played Tournament Cyberball, Hard Drivin', or my least favourite, the horrible Ninja Gaiden III. Kung Food may not be an upper-tier Lynx game, but it's got appealing graphics, an interesting (if silly) theme, and is quite playable. It's also considerably easier than Dirty Larry and Batman Returns, both of which got much better press, and, best of all, it's very easy to find these days. I still find time to play it once in awhile. :)

I'm probably one of the few people who like Cyberball on the Lynx. Not because it's a great game or anything, but because I loved the arcade game.

Tempest

I like Kung Food! I dont LOVE it but I like playing it sometimes and here's why- in my book it makes the short list of quirky games that came out of Atari during those days, like ninja golf an dTodd's Adventure in Slime World. The game wasn't the best out there but it was worth the $3 I paid for it on the clearance rack at toy r us. The best thing about the game was that it was food instead of just regular men. I give atari credit for trying something creative and new instead of going the normal route like everybody else and just making another ninja game or double dragon or whatever else.

I think Kung Food is pretty cool, could have done with more moves though.

Don't know how anyone can slag of Hard Drivin' I love that game and its also a damn impressive piece of coding too.

The main problem with Hard Drivin' is that it was always a gimmick game. The graphics were absolutely amazing when it hit arcades back in 1989, but that's about all it had going for it. I remember it cost $1.00 to play (which was alot back then), but it was worth it because the experience was so amazing. However as graphics in games got better, the gimmick wore off, and by 92-93ish it was pretty much crap. The framerate (even in the arcade) is pretty choppy, and it just got worse on home systems. You also lose alot of 'cool factor' when you don't have three monitors and a force feedback steering wheel. I honestly don't know why they bothered to port it to any home system.

Tempest

The main problem with Hard Drivin' is that it was always a gimmick game. The graphics were absolutely amazing when it hit arcades back in 1989, but that's about all it had going for it. I remember it cost $1.00 to play (which was alot back then), but it was worth it because the experience was so amazing. However as graphics in games got better, the gimmick wore off, and by 92-93ish it was pretty much crap.

I hate to derail threads but...

Yeah, HD & RD are gimmicky and the graphics didn't hold up for very long. But are there any other games that allow you to drive a loop de loop or a corkscrew? :D

Back to Kung Food...the game would have been infinitely more enjoyable had they spent more time tweaking the collision detection in the game. Only being able to hit enemies by being on the exact same scan line did much to ruin the fun of it.

Back to Kung Food...the game would have been infinitely more enjoyable had they spent more time tweaking the collision detection in the game. Only being able to hit enemies by being on the exact same scan line did much to ruin the fun of it.

I got no problem whatsoever with people de-railing my thread...I fully expected to be the only idiot on the planet that liked Kung Food. :D I really did. I love that game.....the more you play it, the farther you get,..

Keep at it.

It could never be as bad as the Paperboy port was...:D The thing that kills me is even the musician screwed the music up....Just like every home-version of Paperboy besides the NES version which the music was actually good considering the hardware.

Edited by rockfistus

The collision detection was always a real problem with me and Kung Food. The bad guys could hit you easily, but you had to be exactly lined up with them to hit them, and sometimes that was difficult. Then you had cheap shots like the ice spikes stabbing upward with no warning, and then those little tomatoes that roll towards you and you can only stop them with a kick that was difficult to pull off with the Lynx's D-Pad.

Kung Food had a lot of potential, but in the end the difficulty of the game and control issues soured me early on. I think I managed to get out of the freezer once and onto the kitchen floor, and died fairly quickly.

For me there isn't much wrong with the Lynx version of Paperboy except it is a direct port of the ST version.

How many Lynx games are ports from the ST? Wouldn't make more sense to port things from the Amiga?

Tempest

The Lynx and ST share similar colour abilties (16 on screen without switching)

Viking Child was also an ST port by the way.

The collision detection was always a real problem with me and Kung Food. The bad guys could hit you easily, but you had to be exactly lined up with them to hit them, and sometimes that was difficult. Then you had cheap shots like the ice spikes stabbing upward with no warning, and then those little tomatoes that roll towards you and you can only stop them with a kick that was difficult to pull off with the Lynx's D-Pad.

Kung Food had a lot of potential, but in the end the difficulty of the game and control issues soured me early on. I think I managed to get out of the freezer once and onto the kitchen floor, and died fairly quickly.

I just found the one thing that pisses me off the most, who's bright idea was it to make it GAME OVER when the times runs out.....uh....the game is hard enough without the fucking timer :)

If I remember right, the farthest I made it back in the day was the sink, which had moving platforms on the water, if you fall in the water you lose a life......of course...... :/ (They couldn't just take a little energy or anything ya know....)

Edited by rockfistus

This is something that's always puzzled me...I've loved Kung Food since I first picked it up some thirteen years ago. I thought it was challenging, but more because there are hordes of enemies attacking you at any one time in the later stages...not so much because of the collision detection. I did beat the game, once. I've only played it a handful of times since then, but still, I find it quite playable, and even fun if you can believe that.

The puzzling thing is that so many people despise Kung Food. It's no Double Dragon, but I really can't see what's so bad about it for a handheld beat-'em-up released in 1992. If an average gamer like myself can beat it, is it really that unplayable?

• 2 weeks later...

It's no Double Dragon, but I really can't see what's so bad about it for a handheld beat-'em-up released in 1992.

You answered your own question. Double Dragon is also released for the Lynx and imo, much better than Kung food, plus the fact people were spoiled by Double Dragon. So after playing Double dragon and then playing Kung Food, you see just how bad the game truely is. I guess it would be different if you've never played a beat em up before. But compared to other beat em ups of the time, this game truely sucks and sucks hard. Couldn't compare to NES beat em ups like River City Ransom and others.