IGNORED

Crypts of Chaos gfx cleanup

Ringman

I started cleaning up the gfx for Crypts of Chaos out of boredom. I actually like the game, I just coudn't stand the dungeon gfx.

Anyway here's my current version of it, there may be a bug or too, but it looks alot nicer then before:

I may clean up the enemy gfx too, any suggestions or comments?

cryptdx.bin

I started cleaning up the gfx for Crypts of Chaos out of boredom. I actually like the game, I just coudn't stand the dungeon gfx.

Anyway here's my current version of it, there may be a bug or too, but it looks alot nicer then before:

I may clean up the enemy gfx too, any suggestions or comments?

I haven't tried it out yet, but downloaded it to play later tonight. I like the idea of cleaning up the graphics-- dungeon *and* enemies! Plus, it would be great if you could figure out how to improve the joystick handling, because one thing that always kept me from playing the game more is the clunky joystick controls. I've always thought that the basic game was very imaginative for its time (and for its platform), but it's hard to get into a game where you keep getting killed because of the sucky way that the joystick is being read and processed, not to mention the beating that the joystick ends up taking because you can't get the weapon-selection cursor to do what you want, or because you're trying very hard to move left or right at more than a crawl. :sad:

Michael Rideout

well at least this time the assembly is attainable thanks to this game being only 4k

I posted a program in another thread (last year, I think?) that lets you split larger ROMs into separate 4K chunks, so that the individual chunks can be disassembled with distella. Also, I think you might be able to disassemble larger ROMs without splitting them up by using dis6502 (I'm not sure if that's the correct name, I'll have to verify later). With dis6502, you'll need a custom equates file for the Atari 2600, but I've already created one. The nice thing about using dis6502 instead of distella is that dis6502 is interactive-- you see the original machine code, the disassembly, the equates, etc., all at the same time on the screen, and you can add labels, etc., on the fly.

Michael Rideout