IGNORED

Cartridge Port Hack – Troubleshooting

A question for all of those forum members that have successfully modded their flashback 2’s.

I just finished trying to install a cartridge port on my flashback and all I get when I insert a cartridge is random noise and random screen video (interestingly the noise and random video change each time the console is turned on with a cart inserted). The carts I’ve used to test are Asteroids, Pitfall, and Ms. Pacman.

I’ve checked all of my connections to the cart port with a multi-meter for continuity and they seem to check out ok. The original games still work when I use the DPDT switch.

I though I might have wired the cart port backwards, so I reversed it – but still no dice. Here’s an annotated picture of the cart port and the way I soldered the leads.

Connector2.GIF

Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

Also, any forum members have recommendations for a good solder? I'm using Radio Shack silver solder and it doesn't seem to flow/adhere very well using a temp controlled soldering station set to 350 C.

I tired of dealing with RS's inconsistent solder. I was thinking of getting some Kester 62/36/2, but then I found a site selling Cardas solder (tin, lead, silver, copper eutectic. 61/35/3/1) for less. I've heard good things about Cardas solder especially that its very easy to work with, but I'm wary of the whole audiophile snake-oil phenom.

Thanks.

Also, any forum members have recommendations for a good solder? I'm using Radio Shack silver solder and it doesn't seem to flow/adhere very well using a temp controlled soldering station set to 350 C.

I tired of dealing with RS's inconsistent solder. I was thinking of getting some Kester 62/36/2, but then I found a site selling Cardas solder (tin, lead, silver, copper eutectic. 61/35/3/1) for less. I've heard good things about Cardas solder especially that its very easy to work with, but I'm wary of the whole audiophile snake-oil phenom.

Thanks.

I checked my FB2, and your connections are correct.

You might want to check for shorts between your wires.

I had a similar issue with one of the FB2's I modded and it turned out to be a short.

I also use RS solder. I find that it works just fine. Just wait until lead-free soldering is mandated here in the US. That's when it will get a little tougher to mod a board.

Edited by Kokovec

• 1 month later...