IGNORED

Mario Bros. 2 - WIP

atari2600land

It's not going to be an exact port, so things will remain a bit different. I've added a few more screens, but am having trouble figuring out why jumping on an enemy and then jumping from it reaches the same height as jumping off the ground. I'm also going to try and see if I can get it scrolling (it's like Pitfall right now.)

I know it's not going to be an exact port, but one of the biggest changes in SMB2 was the ability to walk backwards beyond the screen. Edited by smartkitten26

• 1 year later...

I've decided to rewrite the whole program from scratch. Sorry for the necroposting! There is no door at the third screen yet, but you can pick up the enemy and throw him using the fire button. If you land on him, you can travel left & right on him as he goes. Any help redrawing the Shy Guy is very much appreciated.

smb2.bas.bin

smb2.bas

• 2 years later...

Here is how I do it thanks to bogax and others:

Shooter.bas

The basic premise is to adjust playfieldpos instead of using pfscroll up or pfscroll down. Once a new row needs to be placed the playfieldpos is reset and a redraw routine draws the new set of playfield data.

UPDATE: Actually, you might want to use this method instead:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/148427-vertical-scrolling-through-a-playfield-that-wont-fit-the-screen/?do=findComment&comment=1809236

OK, I managed to put the code in. It didn't like the fact that I had no spaces between the player0 and =, and the = and the 109, e.g., wherein other places it didn't care. I spent a few hours on this, and managed to make it be 1,400 bytes left instead of 500 bytes left. Why does it mind spaces sometimes and other times it couldn't care less?

smb2opening2.bas.bin

smb2opening2.bas

• Like 1

How did you do that? I tried to and couldn't. Anyway, you can't get into the first door yet because I haven't got that far programming yet. In this version I added a little bit of music and changed some code around. Let me know if you still can do what you did.

smb2opening3.bas

smb2opening3.bas.bin