IGNORED

Favorite ST games

Inky

Hi guys,

I have to add another voice to say

Time Bandit ROCKED!

I LOved that game. I think i've played that game more than all others put together, but never completed it.

Best played as two player with one guy hiding to protect himself and do all the collecting and stuff, and one guy dying early to be the shadow and do all the dangerous stuff and path clearing.

Never could complete the final level of the Spaceship thing though, or the ghost town.

*sigh* those were the days.

And SUPERSPRINT was fantastic too, we used to play that evening after evening after evening at uni. No wonder my whole corridor got IIi's and IIii's

AND it still works on a Falcon hehe.

why are the box shots from the Amiga Versions? :)   Just checked out North and South and the box has an Amiga sticker on it ! :)

Well, cause most of the amiga and ST cover arts are completely the same (except for the sticker of course) and since I couldn't find the ST cover (or an equally good looking version) I picked that one. You'll find there are more amiga boxes on my site. You find more of them on the net compared to their ST counterparts. I don't own all those games myself, so I can't scan them...

Sorry...

Cheers

Really? I don't remember.. But I remember another thing!! There was a game called "Unreal" by Psygnossis. I have to admit that it was superb in the Amiga version but not so good in Atari version... Never mind!! Kick off was perfect instead.. Perfect gameplay. Just Perfect. Amiga could not even imagine it.

I just go an RPG called Bloodwych last night...how come no one mentioned this game? It seems at least as good as Dungeon Master to me...very cool, with a whole party you control and it seems to be a LOT more interactive than DM, talking with people and stuff, I haven't gotten real far in either game yet though, so my views may change. How about ISHAR? I saw the screen shots of this game and it was amazing looking, but the copy I downloaded is a read-only .msa file, so I couldn't transfer it to .st for use on my real ST! Anyone know where I can find an .st version?

Bloodwych is good, think it is smaller than DM. Also a nice feature of BW is that you can have 2 player simultanious on it (with joysticks) and have hours of fun battering your mates :) or playing it co-op like you are meant to.

If you are interested there is a character editor for BW which allows you to change the stats of all the chars in your party and give them all spells etc. So you can litterly obliterate hard enemies with a single blow from one guy.

I only have Ishar 2 (bought it) which looked excellent seemed very deep, but ran like a dog on an STFM.. I'll have to get hold of a TT or Flacon and see if that improves it's performance. Verrry laggy responce.

yeah, maybe you could e-mail me that BW file...I won't use it right away, as I thinking cheating off the bat ruins a game, I only cheat when I'm stuck...I still want to try ISHAR 1&2 even if they run slow on a stock ST, it seems like they aen't heavy action games anyway, so being sluggish with adventure/rpg's is no big deal to me...

The BW hack is on an ST Format cover disk Issue 18?

I don't have a copy I can send you sorry.. One day I will MSA up all my old ST disks :)

Ishar 2 does require some action, like most games in it's genre. True it being slow does make it easier to destroy people, but it really breaks from the gameplay.. and becomes annyoing quickly. Graphically it is very nice.

STeem engine them instead (.st); it makes one less step for those of us who are turning them back into real ST disks (otherwise you have to filter them through MSAtoST first, no biggy, but it's nicer not to have to use the extra step... :D) Ahh...sweet, sweet laziness...

If you say it does... :) I don't generally use emulators, if I want to play something, I get the real thing. The only emulators I've ever used were on the Dreamcast anyway, because it's so much simpler, plus I can use the DC controller. Even on the DC, I only have a GameGear, SegaMaster system and 800/5200 emulators...and I rarely use them since I have a real 8-bit and 5200's and don't care much for the other two...The only emulator I ever even tried on a PC was the Handy (lynx emu), and only once in a VERY long while to test a game I might buy. Otherwise, I prefer the real thing, they work better. :)

There's just something about playing/using other computers and consoles on the PC that makes me feel dirty and like I'm betraying the system. I'm a hardware guy at heart and software emulating hardware is sacreligious to me...especially on PC's which I've always hated and only use as a necessary evil. I long for the days of proprietary systems like Atari and Commodore. My next computers that are new will be a MILAN and an Imac, the last vestiges of "free" computing in a world of IBM/Microsoft/Intel and clones...Down with Bill Gates! Down with Microsoft! Down with Intel! ...funny...I'm getting an Xbox...am I a Hypocrite for using a PC and wanting an Xbox? Oh, well...I can use them and hate them at the same time I guess...of course, once I get my MILAN and MAC, I'm chucking my PC out the window from a ten-story building! I'll still keep my old PC around to be a slave for my ST and 8-bit (for APE/SIO2PC).

I agree with gunstar, Nothing beats the real deal. I still have my old 4 meg STE and wouldn't want to miss it for the world!

If you like to download the ishar games, Try http://www.atarizone.com or http://atari.krang.net/ , they should have them.

I'm not really an RPG guy myself, but the one I used to play was "Crystal of Arborea". It's also from Silmarils, but its an easier RPG. And of course "Legends of Valour", one of the biggest first persons RPGs for the ST.

The Phantasie series should also be good, but I never played them...

Cheers,

Maarten

I need a mouse and a new floppy to get my ST at least working again. I so want to hook it up and let my kids use it as thier first computer...

Sure, that's it!

I want to load up Falcon and give it another go-round.

Still I want some info on how to play Time Bandit.

I agree with gunstar, Nothing beats the real deal. I still have my old 4 meg STE and wouldn't want to miss it for the world!

If you like to download the ishar games, Try http://www.atarizone.com or http://atari.krang.net/ , they should have them.

I'm not really an RPG guy myself, but the one I used to play was "Crystal of Arborea". It's also from Silmarils, but its an easier RPG. And of course "Legends of Valour", one of the biggest first persons RPGs for the ST.  

The Phantasie series should also be good, but I never played them...

Cheers,

Maarten

Thanks for the LINKS! I have seen the 'Crystal of Arborea' on the LGD site, but all the games seem to be linked to some FTP site in England, which I can't load on my browser...I tried using FTP Explorer, but it was so Alien to me, I couldn't figure out how to do anything and I don't feel like starting a new college major to learn it! I'll look into 'Legends of Valour' too.

Inky, get your ST working! it is possible to hook a PC 3.5" floppy up to it to replace your broken one...also, if you want to send me your broken one, and your broken mouse, chances are, I can fix them for you (I'm a pretty good hardware hack, especially when it comes to repairs). I won't charge, you just pay for shipping both ways...

Inky, get your ST working! it is possible to hook a PC 3.5" floppy up to it to replace your broken one...also, if you want to send me your broken one, and your broken mouse, chances are, I can fix them for you (I'm a pretty good hardware hack, especially when it comes to repairs). I won't charge, you just pay for shipping both ways...

My prob is that I NEED a mouse. I don't have one. I used to have 2 of them, but one got sent out with one of my St's when I sold it, and I lost the other one...

I'm thinking of attempting the floppy hack soon as I can get a spare floppy drive.

It is so hard to pick just three. Some of my favs:

Pirates!

Silent Service

Battletech: The Cresent Hawk's Inception(fav rpg on the ST)

Xenon 2

Obliterator

Astro Marine Corp

Another World

Battlehawks 1942

I want to get an STe to try out Substation. Anyone play Substation, is it any good?

Hi all

There are just so many brilliant games for the ST. How about Crystal Castles, I really liked this game for some strange reason, found it really addicting.

Xenon ruled too, my jaw dropped to the floor when I saw/heard it for the first time. My ST had become an arcade machine :) .

And Sundog, excellent game, but I never managed to solve it. There was a planet I never managed to reach. But I still had a great time trying...

I want to get an STe to try out Substation.  Anyone play Substation, is it any good?

Wasn't Substation a first person 3D shooter, a low budget Doom clone? I think I tried it several years ago. But I wasn't that impressed, I had just seen Doom II on the PC and not suprisingly it was loads better than Substaion. :) ...

What does the STE have, that the ST does not which is required for Substation? If it's just the use of the Blitter chip, I'm planning on upgrading my ST with one of those anyway...does the STE have anything else besides a bigger color palette and stereo sound (neither of which I would think would have any dire effect on the game if played on a regular ST?!?

What does the STE have, that the ST does not which is required for Substation? If it's just the use of the Blitter chip, I'm planning on upgrading my ST with one of those anyway...does the STE have anything else besides a bigger color palette and stereo sound (neither of which I would think would have any dire effect on the game if played on a regular ST?!?

Well, it also had connectors for analogue joysticks and an idiotic placement of the ordinary joystick connectors :D . Also there was something changed in the video shifter that meant you could do smooth hardware scrolling or something. Don't ask me exactly how, I gave up programming already with my ordinary ST, found it too boooring :)

Apart from that I can't recall any other differences....

I want to get an STe to try out Substation.  Anyone play Substation, is it any good?

Wasn't Substation a first person 3D shooter, a low budget Doom clone? I think I tried it several years ago. But I wasn't that impressed, I had just seen Doom II on the PC and not suprisingly it was loads better than Substaion. :) ...

Thanks for the info Han. :) Ya, I know Substation isn't going to be a Doom, Halo or Unreal or anything. I just thought the story of the game sounded really cool, something that I could get into. I also think it would be coold to play a FPS on a ST, just for kicks.

Well, it also had connectors for analogue joysticks and an idiotic placement of the ordinary joystick connectors :D . Also there was something changed in the video shifter that meant you could do smooth hardware scrolling or something. Don't ask me exactly how, I gave up programming already with my ordinary ST, found it too boooring :)

Apart from that I can't recall any other differences....

Actually, I have the STF which has that idiotic joystick ports too, if your refering the awful design of them being under the keyboard, where you have to lift up the entire machine to plug them in&out...(I've already damaged my monitor port from lifting up the computer with everything connected in the back: I hope the person that engineered that placement of ports was fired along with everyone who let it slip by them) Isn't the analog connectors your refering to, the same as the controller ports on the Jaguar/Falcon (I assume the Falcon and others had them since those grey/blue jaguar type controllers are available for *some* Atari computer)?

I just downloaded some documents on modifications for the ST to add an additional video shifter for 32k colors and a mod for RCA audio out with stereo. As well as a cpu excellerator to make text&images twice as fast as the falcon (according to the docs)...so maybe with these mods and a blitter, something like 'Substation' will work on an ST...

Time Bandit was a lot of fun. It was like getting multiple games in one game. I never did complete it but it was a lot of fun to play. I just wonder what happened to Michtron. I have to assume that they went out of business or was bought by someone else when the Atari ST was no longer a viable system.