IGNORED

MIDI maze

I have great memories of playing MIDI Maze when I was in college. This was back when the Atari ST had a "reasonable" following and between the Rochester, NY Atari users group (ACORN - Atari Computer Owners of Rochester, New York) and the people on campus I knew quite a few people with STs. We would often organize large gatherings of Atari STs solely to play MIDI Maze.

We could easily get 8 computers networked together, I'm not sure how much luck we had going for the max (16?) We even setup a MIDI Maze tournament on campus once, with multiple networks of MIDI Maze going.

MIDI Maze is a game where you play a smiley face in a 2D maze (with a 3D, first person perspective), hunting down other smileys. Everyone's current kill status is displayed on a musical scale, so you could easily see how everyone's doing. If I recall, as you take damage your "smile" turns more and more into a frown until you die. All the smiley faces can be different colors also, making it easier to hunt down a particular friend (heh, heh, heh).

This game came out many years before Doom, but it's certainly one of the first deathmatch-style network games. I haven't played it in *years*, but would love to gather up enough people to have at it again. I have several Atari STs myself, perhaps I can gather a few other people here in Austin and setup a game someday.

..Al

When I first saw the topic of this thread, I imagined a maze game where you couldn't actually see the maze, but would instead navigate it by sound. While the game you described sounds interesting, I have to admit that it's not as interesting as I had first thought (Hey, just how would you make a game like that? Isn't it crazy?).

--Zero

Okay, I just went and hunted down some screenshots for MIDI Maze so you could get an idea of what it loooks like:

This is a shot that I remember it looking like on the ST, although it doesn't show a game in progress (the game window is the one with blue arrow):

MidiMaze1.jpg

These next two shots seem to be from a newer version of the game:

MidiMaze2.gif

MidiMaze3.gif

and I believe this is taken from the manual.

MidiMazeManual.jpg

There also seem to be several MIDI Maze clones floating around the net. Here are some of the ones I found:

- MiMaze - The Multicast internet Maze

- Faceball 3000

- iMaze - X Windows MIDI Maze Clone

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Atari-Jess:

whoa I officially NEED this game for the ST. and I thought it kinda sounded like ol faceball i remember the old old old one but i never played it. heh thanks Albert for all those links!

You're welcome. It's definitely worth hunting down for the ST. I think I actually have an original copy of it in my storage unit, I'll have to look for it as I'm moving in a few weeks. If I find it, I'll scan the documentation, disk, and try to take some more screenshots (which will probably require me to boot up one of my STs). At some future gaming expo it'd be great to organize a MIDI Maze tournament.

..Al

There is only 1 other Atarian where I live for sure that I know of. He owns the IGA in the neighbouring town. I only wish that there was a Atari thing that I could get to but I am glad that I dont have as much competition around where I live.

If I could get to a gaming expo, I would

(ESPECIALLY AN ATARI ONE!!!!!)