IGNORED

STe or STf

The E only has an extended color pallate, as far as I remember. No big deal though as I don't think many software houses utilized it.

The e was Atari's response to the Amiga. The only problem is that while the e had 4096 colors, I think you could still only use 16 at any one time.

Here's a cool site I found when searching around for information on exactly what the STe offered. There was a time when I could recite all the stats for the various ST computers off the top of my head, but that time has since passed.

OLD-COMPUTERS.COM - Atari 520 / 1040 STe

You're right, Inky, the STe could only display 16 colors out of its 4096 color palette. How sad.

..Al

There were several graphics packages released that could handle upto 512 colors on the screen at once, including Spectrum 512. With the addition of the 4096 color palette, it made these programs even better. Atari finally got the graphics right, out of the box, with the Falcon. Too late though for the computer market unfortunately...or for Atari. The STF and STFM computers, as far as I know, only had the advantage of a built-in disk drive. Otherwise they are the same as the older ST's. The mega ST's came with some added hardware, like the blitter chip, another addition to the STe I believe too...

If I remember correctly, STe's had the 4k colour pallette, a blitter chip, analog joystick ports (near the midi ports), a newer version of tos (tho not 2.6 I think), and I think that was it. There were quite a few games that required STe's that I could never get my STfm to play, including a really good pinball game who's name escapes me now.

Including those listed by Tyrant above, the STe also included 8-bit stereo PCM sound (up to 50khz), SIMM memory expansion and a socketed CPU for easy expansion.

I remember reading about the STE when rumors about it were circulating. The media kept calling it an "Amiga killer", so I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, it turned out on to match (or in some cases, fall short of)the Amiga.

I remember when some die-hard developers were unhappy with the specs and voiced their opinion about it, Atari actually threatened to pull their developer's units because of that! Typical Tramiel stupidity again...(can't take criticism).

Two more things not mentioned: Hardware Scrolling and hardware sprites. Not obvious enhancements, and they didn't really catch on very well, but there were a few games that made good use of these features. In fact, there were quite a few things the STe was capable of that the non-E machines could only dream about. Look at Stardust, the several Doom-style clones that had 3D scrolling and gouraud shading in real-time, and there was an STE-Only pinball game (Pinball Dreams?) that used hardware scrolling/sprites and the enhanced sound of the STE to excellent advantage.

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Mindfield ]

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by :

Including those listed by Tyrant above, the STe also included 8-bit stereo PCM sound (up to 50khz), SIMM memory expansion and a socketed CPU for easy expansion.

I remember reading about the STE when rumors about it were circulating. The media kept calling it an "Amiga killer", so I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, it turned out on to match (or in some cases, fall short of)the Amiga.

I remember when some die-hard developers were unhappy with the specs and voiced their opinion about it, Atari actually threatened to pull their developer's units because of that! Typical Tramiel stupidity again...(can't take criticism).

If I remember correctly, it also has a Motorola DSP chip in it.