IGNORED

Looking to purchase FB2, anything I should know first?

I was looking around on Ebay when I first learned about this. I Googled it and I became very interested. I am looking to pick one up at my local Wal-Mart. Is there anything I should know first? Cons, Pros, just cool things to know? :? Thanks!!! :D Oh and by the way, I have a 2600 vader so I might be interested in moding it with a cart slot, this system doesnt take up as much room as the vader. Is there anyone out there that does cart slot mods that come out nice? If so how much do they run? Please leave pics of you work!! Thanks !!!! :)

Edited by 2600lover

Alright!!!! This is helpful!!!! :)

My friend you need to walk before you can run. Enjoy time with your Vader first, get to know it and becomes friends with it, dont get distracted by flashy gimmicks. This is good advice and it is up to you whether you take it or not ;)

My friend you need to walk before you can run. Enjoy time with your Vader first, get to know it and becomes friends with it, dont get distracted by flashy gimmicks. This is good advice and it is up to you whether you take it or not

Heh... this is retro video games... I think you're pretty safe to start off at a quick trot, at the very least.

Ok... you want a FB2

I dunno why people haven't been responding to posts around here lately... but...

The Rev C is evidently the easiest to mod, and also addresses some problems with a few of the titles. Unfortunately, the only way to tell a Rev C is by looking at the circuit board.

You can read more about this in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1088679

There isn't much to "know" about the FB2. It has 40 built in games, it is a modern version of the classic 2600 chipset, so it isn't emulation. The joystick ports are 2600 ports, and the joysticks are 2600 joysticks (you can use them with original hardware). The power supply will not power an original 2600. It is a Plug and Play console with RCA out jacks. There are hidden paddle games that you can get to by entering a series of keyboard inputs.

I'd buy one. I'd buy 3... at $29, it is like e-baying two working Atari 2600 sticks, and getting a free PnP console thrown in.

I have 3. One I take with me on trips, the other 2 in storage in the closet, never been opened.

The cart mod isn't something to enter into lightly. It takes some skills. Curt made it as easy for the DIYer to do as possible, and he and others in the retro community have done a great job in documenting how to do it, but it still isn't something that any hack should try. I can barely build myself a working RSI stick, I don't think my skills with soldering are up to the FB-2 cartridge mod.

If you're just looking for a smaller footprint, I'd look for a 2600 Jr. or, better yet, a 7800... Both are smaller than the 2600, more or less FB2 sized, and come with cart slots already built in, without trying to hack one in yourself.

Edited by Paranoid

So how do I know if its a rev c board? Is there any marking on the box? Cause it would really suck to drive there, pick one up, get it home, open it up, check it, and then have to put it back in the box, drive back, put up with the old ladies at the return counter, and start at square one again.

Heh... this is retro video games... I think you're pretty safe to start off at a quick trot, at the very least.

This from a man who beats his head against a wall all day :D

Heh... that is only when I have to deal with real people... or Atari 5200 joysticks. :)

So how do I know if its a rev c board? Is there any marking on the box? Cause it would really suck to drive there, pick one up, get it home, open it up, check it, and then have to put it back in the box, drive back, put up with the old ladies at the return counter, and start at square one again.

Door number 2 is correct. :)

Nope. No markings on the box, no cosmetic difference in the console itself. You get it home, you open it UP, and it either says rev C on it or it doesn't. If it doesn't... you hopefully CAREFULLY pulled that warranty seal off the screw it is covering and can replace it so that Walmart cannot tell, or, better yet, the old ladies don't open up and look inside when you return it.

Like I said... an Atari Jr. is an easier way to go for a compact 2600 unit... even a 7800.

I'm not sure about the specific differences. Some of the games are evidently buggy and may not play right on the first two revisions. Quadrun doesn't have the voice effects, etc. A lot of things that only a purist or hardcore collector would even notice or complain about. Some of the games are simply unplayable.

All of the major titles seem to work OK with me. I'd search the FB forum and you'll find your specific answers. Me, I think I've got a rev B, and I'm fine with it.

This from a man who beats his head against a wall all day :D

Heh... that is only when I have to deal with real people... or Atari 5200 joysticks. :)

Real People???? You mean there are real people out there??? man I need to look harder instead of talking to you jokers :D

Real People???? You mean there are real people out there??? man I need to look harder instead of talking to you jokers

Oh! Don't get my wrong... when I say "real people"... I mean you guys... Otherwise I'm a recluse and hermit. REAL real people are the worst things on the planet to interact with. I think I've successfully alienated almost all of my REAL real-life friends, and a good portion of my online pals, as well. :)