IGNORED

Falcon on US Ebay? Uhm...

t.skid

I don't know terribly much about the aesthetics of the Falcon 030, so I don't know if this is a fake or not. I did find this nice picture of a Falcon, though:

Atari Falcon 030

I see what you mean by the keyboard. The one in the auction looks like a normal ST keyboard and the one in the above picture is much darker. However, if you look at the floppy drive they both look the same (as opposed to the better integrated drive of earlier STs). Also, the nameplate looks the same, although someone certainly could have lifted that off a Falcon. As for the SC1224 monitor, do those not work with the Falcon? I don't think I've found a single picture of a Falcon with an SC1224 yet.

And I don't know how different the OS in the Falcon looks either. But that certainly looks like the original version of GEM, running at the lowest possible resolution (320x200?). I'm sure some Falcon experts will jump in and comment.

..Al

Well, heres my $0.02.

The case looks to be the right color (not exactly the same ST grey), the keyboard doesnt look the right color (confused now), and the GEM desktop is ok since the Falcon could display all the regular ST modes (and prob would default to that screen is no disk was present during bootup like an ST).

So,

The Keyboard is the only strange thing in the picture to me.....

About the GEM desktop: it's normal the lack of HD icon? I don't know if the falcon was available without the hd.

BTW, it couldn't be an ST with the case of a Falcon? If you look at the floppy in the photo, didn't looks like an "internal" st, than a normal falcon drive?

But there's also another answer: the very firsts Falcons - prototypes - was really looks like the one on auction. I remember to have seen it at the SMAU (most important computers show in Italy) in 1992, and keyboard was white. If this is a proto and not a fake, maybe it's interesting

How much do Falcon 030's normally go for? I wouldn't mind picking one up, although I'm not sure I'd want to bid on this particular auction. I suppose I could think of some questions to ask the seller in an attempt to verify the authenticity of the machine, but then, how many people would go through the trouble to create a fake Falcon030 from a normal ST? If you're going to rip someone off, there are much more profitible ways to do it.

It would have been nice if he took a picture of the label underneath the computer, as I'm sure that would also say Falcon 030 on it, and be a bit harder to fudge. The prospect of a prototype machine is interesting, but I bet it's something simpler than that, such as Atari just being cheap and using normal ST keyboards for whatever reason.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

How much do Falcon 030's normally go for? I wouldn't mind picking one up, although I'm not sure I'd want to bid on this particular auction. I suppose I could think of some questions to ask the seller in an attempt to verify the authenticity of the machine, but then, how many people would go through the trouble to create a fake Falcon030 from a normal ST? If you're going to rip someone off, there are much more profitible ways to do it.

It would have been nice if he took a picture of the label underneath the computer, as I'm sure that would also say Falcon 030 on it, and be a bit harder to fudge. The prospect of a prototype machine is interesting, but I bet it's something simpler than that, such as Atari just being cheap and using normal ST keyboards for whatever reason.

..Al

I've been looking to pick up a Falcon as well. From what I've seen, they go for an average of about $400 - $500. Best Electronics has various refurbished Falcon configurations with the high-end model going for $599, which isn't too bad.

quote:

..Al

Dash says that he have a "white keyboard" falcon, so probably Al is right: maybe firsts falcons had the same ST keyboard, as the prototypes had (also, in the Best Electronics catalog there's a photo of the FX, Falcon proto, white keyboard).

Anyway, my doubt was not on the volountary fake of the seller, but only if he don't known really Atari computers and take for granted what's write on the label.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: t.skid ]

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

I've been looking to pick up a Falcon as well. From what I've seen, they go for an average of about $400 - $500. Best Electronics has various refurbished Falcon configurations with the high-end model going for $599, which isn't too bad.

Wow, I didn't realize they were going for that much. Is there really that much demand for these? At present, the auction is up to $180USD, with four days to go. I'll have to keep my eyes on it to see what happens. I don't really need any more hardware cluttering up my house right now, but I would like to get one of these at some point.

Given other comments here, I'm going to assume it's a legit Falcon 030.

..Al

This may be a dumb question, but is the Falcon compatible with Atari ST software? I assume it is because they both use TOS (at least I think they do).

I've been trying to find information on the Falcon all day. It's like the damn thing didn't exist. It must have been more popular in Europe than the US (actually I don't think it was ever popoular here), because all the info pages I've found have been from the Netherlands.

Is there an ST/Falcon FAQ somewhere?

Tempest

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Tempest ]

There's very little information about the machine itself as far as what "hybrid" means. The only information contained in the description is this,

It is our contention that this particular machine was a hybrid, between the Atari ST and Atari Falcon, assembled by third party developers. Placed at the front of the machine is "Atari Falcon 030" (as noted in the first photo above) and on the bottom of the unit there is a lable of "520STFM " (as shown in the second photo above.)

So I have little doubt that this machine started life as a 520STFM, both from the very obvious label, as well as the white keyboard (which is probably uncommon even if there are a few Falcons like this). The inclusion of the SC1224 monitor also seems pretty suspicious to me, since none of the pictures I found of the Falcon were pictured with an SC1224.

Sounds like someone took a 520STFM and then bought some Falcon030 parts. Presumably this would include the motherboard, but if the ports are significantly different I have to wonder what the back looks like. If they placed a Falcon board into a normal 520STFM case, they probably had to hack up the back a bit. It's been a while since I've taken apart an 520/1040STFM, I don't remember if the plastic covering the back of the unit is attached to the top or bottom. If it's attached to the bottom *and* the ports on a Falcon differ from the 520, then they'd definitely have to hack up the plastic. However, if that plastic is attached to the top piece, then they may have just replaced that as well (which would explain the "Falcon 030" badge, assuming they didn't just slap that on).

Someone should ask this guy to A) take some pictures of the back of the machine, and B) if he's brave enough open up the case and take some pictures of the motherboard. I think (A) is a reasonably request, but I doubt he'd go for (B). And anyway, if the correct ports are on the back, then that would reasonably point to this being a Falcon030, at least internally.

..Al

quote:

The inclusion of the SC1224 monitor also seems pretty suspicious to me, since none of the pictures I found of the Falcon were pictured with an SC1224.

Connecting a SC1224 to a Falcon is no problem. I used the monitor of my ST on a Falcon aswell for software that didnt work in VGA mode (games, demos)

quote:

If they placed a Falcon board into a normal 520STFM case, they probably had to hack up the back a bit.

The original Falcon also had some small holes at the bottom for a small fan on the motherboard.

Robert