IGNORED

Null modem cable??

well ive heard about atari ST's connecting to PC's is there a way I can do this with no ST hard drive? I just want to use my PC's harddrive instead of buying a ST one which I cant afford. That way I can have about 500mb of space directed towards my ST and have the 5.5gb left for the PC is there an easy way to do this??? what parts will I need? are they easy to get at any old computer store?

I looked long and hard at this for awhile with no real luck . I got an ST Networking interface so I could move stuff between my ST/PC via FTP. Drive sharing isnt supported .

I believe you can get an interface cable for a Zip drive which would give you some kind of interface with your PC. Someone in Germany sells it (where else for cool ST stuff!)

I used ghostlink to connect my Falcon to the PC. I could use folders on the PC drive as Atari drives but it was pretty slow even at 115200 bps. An ST will do 19600 bps which is veery sloow. A null-modem cable is needed. You can find that from any computer/electronics store. Ghostlink can be found on any Atari FTP.

Joshua.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Lord Gaiyan ]

Hmmmmmmmm, I was under the impression the ST series parallel port doesnt work bi-directional since Atari didnt activate all the pins (Falcon may be different)

Are you sure Ghostlink would work on an ST???

I have a Laplink cable from my PC days, is that the one required for Ghostlink? I'll def give it a try!

I am using PPP. I have a null modem cable between the serial ports of the MegaST and the TT and another between the serial ports of the TT and the server PC, ethernet to the other PCs. I am using bnet and STing on the Ataris and Samba on the PC. The TT is of course very snappy but the ST at 19200 can be a bit of a wait and being hertzically challenged takes it time rendering tabled web pages. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to use Microsoft products so I know nothing of connecting to Windows, I would like to get my 8bit into this LAN but don't know how yet.

Tony.

• 3 weeks later...

Ghostlink comes with a program for both the ST and PC. They are tiny programs that fit on a DD floppy. Ghostlink is serial only. So you need a null-modem cable. Laplink AFAIK is parallel so it won't work. Again, ST's unmodified serial speed is 19200 bps which is tortuously slow compared to 115200 of the PC. But it definately will work on the ST. Even off of a floppy. The PC harddrive/folder will appear as a harddrive on your ST desktop and you can use it as such... if you have the patience

Joshua.

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: Lord Gaiyan ]