IGNORED

Moving a Coin-op (Pics added)

RangerG

My wife will be renovating an old downtown office and inside there is a nice Star Wars cab. I don't know if it works, but it looks to be in great shape and it has the manual. The owner told me that it is mine if I can get it; however, what will I need to move it? Some questions: Can I lay the machine down or only upright for transport? How heavy will it be (how big of a dolly and will I need one or more people to help me move it?) Thanks for the help.

Take care,

RG

Edited by RangerG

Laying the game down is fine - just check the insides to make sure everything is secure and no loose parts are in there that could bounce around. I move games myself and with a dolly rated for 600 pounds. I also prefer the inflatable tires, as opposed to hard wheels. That said, a lesser dolly could/should work out fine. Also, Star Wars is a fairly bulky cabinet, so having a buddy to help steady the game while moving it would probably be a wise idea.

Just as ClubNinja said, laying it down is fine - on its back. Again, as he said just open it up and make sure there are no loose parts in there. Look for little things as well such as odd bolts, quarters, keys, etc. Anything that might fall into a space where it does not need to be so that it can cause a short.

Depending on the condition of the game I like to put mine on a tarp to keep scratches to a minimum. Inexpensive movers blankets from Harbor Freight are nice as well. Be sure to pad/protect the sides so that the art does not get damaged.

As to a dolly, I just use an appliance dolly I got from a home improvement store...Lowes I think it was. If you have access to one just borrow it. Lowes or Home Depot probably rents them. Just make sure it is an "appliance" style dolly with an adjustable strap to secure the load.

I have moved a game upright on a truck bed with no problems. Of course it was padded and strapped in. If I have to go any distance it is a good idea to wrap (at least the top) in plastic as the portion sticking above the cab will catch bugs just like the windshield. If moving it upright put the game in so that he back of the game faces forward and the monitor/control panel faces the tail gate. This will help protect the front of the game should something come over the cab.

As to your specific game, Star Wars. I think I would find a way to get it NO MATTER WHAT. First of all there is the entire eBay price hype about anything that says Star Wars on it. That aside, the game is just fun to play and the cab art is cool. Be double protective of the monitor. Star Wars uses a color vector monitor. No one make a replacement. Yes, that adds to the price hype for the game as well. The monitors can be had, they are a little more than a run of the mill color CGA arcade monitor, but they can be found. Worse case in the situation of a broken tube I seem to recall reading someplace that you can swap a common tube onto the vector chassis...not sure there. One way or another, just take note of the monitor and don't let a broom or tool fall in and break the neck off!!!

Here are a couple of links that may help:

Klov article on the game.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9773

I also recommend that you look at the Klov message boards. Lot of help and info there:

http://forums.webmagic.com/ubbthreads/ubbt...hp?Cat=&C=2

That is an Atari game. You did not mention what type of problem it has. Here are some basics in terms of parts.

Not sure what is in there - is the power supply like other Atari games with problematic fuse banks and a "Big Blue" capacitor, does it use some version of the Atari Audio regulator board..etc... here is a good source of kits and parts:

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/parts.html#atari

Bob also is a great source of cap kits for monitors.

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/parts.html#atari

I "think" that Star has an Elecrohome GO8-003 19" in it???? He has a cap kit for it, with the deflection transistors, for $9.

These may help as well...again, depending on what ever the problem is with the game:

http://www.skepticfiles.org/cowtext/arcade/atarixyh.htm

http://www.westnet.com/~chris/arcade/F_Greg_Woodcock3.html

Tons more out there with some google searching!!

Good luck!

Edited by tta583

Well - my wife got the key to the building today. I start work next week (we are moving in to our new place this week), so I want to try to get it this week or weekend. Thanks for all the useful comments. I think I may try it myself with my wife to help steady it. We have a small dolly (rated for 200 lbs.), but it sounds like I need to rent a larger one. I may borrow a truck (or rent one at Home Depot) and I will look around for blankets. I will keep you posted and post any more advice.

Take care,

RG

I use a small dolly to move my arcade machines around. If you can get two people it's really easy, just take it nice and slow on the stairs. What I did was have one person move the machine on the dolly, and one person steady it from the front. I don't recall my machines ever sliding around much, but like I said, we took it nice and slow.

Some cabs have wheels on the back side so you can move them without a dolly, but usually they have flat spots from age so they may not work well.

Tempest

I once threw three games on the back of a trailer, strapped them down, and moved them from Dallas to Oklahoma City. When I got home I discovered that my buddy had not fastened the strap correctly, and we had lost the tie-down somewhere on the Interstate. Even without a strap, the games hadn't moved more than an inch in 250 miles. I wouldn't recommend duplicating the effort, but these things are heavy enough that they probably won't be sliding all over the place on their own.

That being said, I owned a Nintendo Vs. cab for a while that had a nice dent because a guy didn't strap it in and hit the brakes on his truck, sending it crashing into the cab.

As for a dolly, I think everything's been said. The ones with inflatable tires are much easier to maneuver, but the applicance ones (with a strap and rollers on the back) are handy for getting into/out of truck beds and up and down stairs. Do this long enough and you'll end up with one of each.

Also, those heavy-ass blankets are handy for getting a cab up in the back of a truck. Keeps the cabinet and the truck from getting scratched, and makes it a heck of a lot easier to slide.

Well - I checked on the game this weekend. It is covered in dust, but it looks to be in pretty good shape and I think I should take a chance on it. However, it is missing the coin door. I picked up the manual and inside it also had a manual for Tempest, a rom board for Stargate, and some other rom boards. I'm going to wait until my father visits (sometime in the next month) and move it correctly in that he has a truck, blankets, and a large dolly. I'll keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...

My parents visited for Labor Day and we went and got it. It is now in the shed and hopefully I will get a chance soon to clean it, check over it, test it, etc. It is missing the coin door and coin box - should this be replaced or can you set freeplay without it? A attached a few pics, and I'll keep you posted.

Take care,

RG

post-63-1157334536_thumb.jpg

post-63-1157334553_thumb.jpg

Looks like there is a monitor board missing in there. As is, its still worth money and well worth your time to download the manual and learn what you have/haven't got.

Cab looks great. I bet if you clean the connectors on the boards and fire it up it plays blind....monitors were the main problem in those games (most of the cockpit games all have fire damage in them from the flyback blowing!).

C

Eric,

That's what I am going to do. I have a new job and a new house so I will only get to work on it a little bit at a time. However, I wanted to make sure to get it before it was trashed. There are so many helpful people here (like Cassidy) that I know will help when I run into problems.

Take care,

RG