IGNORED

Virtual Boy Multicart?

Tempest

That's pretty expensive compared to pcbpool.com

It's not, the cart uses a 0.8mm board (regular is 1.6mm) which they don't do as standard, it's an expensive 'special order'. Also, pcbpool's 4 day service is 1.5 times their normal price + courier shipping from Ireland to the UK is about $40.

Oh, I didn't realize the VB used a half-thickness board.

Oh, I didn't realize the VB used a half-thickness board.

Yes, it's a bit weird like that, nothing on it is 'standard'. It would have been so much easier if it was 1.6mm with a connector edge like every other cart in the world.

I measured the original at 0.6mm, but 0.8mm works better when soldering the connectors as they tend to get a bit bent outwards when removing them. The extra 0.2mm saves having to hold each pin down while I solder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I built the breadboarded version, programmed the FLASH and it verified OK in my chip programmer, but it doesn't work on the actual VB for some weird reason.

Which leads me to ask, are the VB ROM images direct dumps or have they been altered / padded in some way for emulator use ?

• 3 weeks later...

THATS FUNNY, I JUST DUG OUT THE VIRTUAL BOY TODAY!

there are strange forces at work here.....

i called nintendo to ask why i dont get video on mine. though, i think it's the ribbon cable that is infamous for seperating from the board. they said they get calls to this day and have to shoo us away to websites.

if i get it a workin (tool on the wayhere in the states, it's a 3 day weekend, and i hate those damned triwing screws)

i's be interested in getting a multicart myself. If you want toproduce them, i can assist you in the graphic art stuff.

there are strange forces at work here.....

Too right !

The last thing I tried was programming the FLASH in my chip programmer (verifying twice) and then soldering it to a bare board without any of the other components, just the VB connector and the necessary pins hardwired - still nothing :?

BTW the 2 types of FLASH I've been using are Intel DT28F160S5 and DA28F320J5.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG IT WORKS !!

After a chat with Pat from www.projectvb.vze.com, the problem turned out to be a mixture of bad ROM dumps and lack of padding. Padding is something you have to do on the VB when the ROM image doesn't fill all of the FLASH, I'd wrongly assumed I didn't need to do this :roll:

That guy really know's his stuff where the VB is concerned.

Anyway, I'm doing one more revision as MicroChip have released the larger USB chip, which means I can cut down the design to just 2 chips + get the downloading faster (it's way too slow at the moment)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm willing to make the sacrifice as well, and you should already have my address from when I tested your Vecflash-CV interface. Just looking to make things easier on you, you understand... :) I would also be willing to forward to another tester here in the States if that was your plan.

• 3 weeks later...