IGNORED

I Can't Get DASM to Run

Whenever I try to run DASM this briefly flashes on the screen before the program exits:post-9522-1154720942_thumb.jpg

I've used the 2600IDE for bB to compile several things. Since batari basic uses DASM to assemble games (it does use DASM right?) I don't think there's anything wrong with my version of DASM.

I'm using Windows XP.

I downloaded the latest version of DASM, and extracted it into a DASM folder in C:\program files\DASM. I also tried extracting it into several other folders. None worked so far.

I'm using the bin>DOS>dasm.exe. So I tried downloading a DOS emulator (DOSbox) and opening dasm through that. This message comes up "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or a way to set up an IDE (preferably crimson editor since I already have and have used it) to use dasm?

I use the Crimson editor as well; this is how I have my user tools configured:

Menu Text: Compile DASM Source Code

Command: D:\Games\Atari2600Dev\DASM\bin\DOS\dasm.exe

Argument: $(FileName) -f3 -o$(FileTitle).bin -l$(FileTitle).lst

Initial Dir: $(FileDir)

Adjust the folders as needed. Basically, to run DASM you need to feed it a bunch of command-line arguments, including the filename of the source file, the output file, and the argument -f3

Whenever I try to run DASM this briefly flashes on the screen before the program exits:post-9522-1154720942_thumb.jpg

I've used the 2600IDE for bB to compile several things. Since batari basic uses DASM to assemble games (it does use DASM right?) I don't think there's anything wrong with my version of DASM.

I'm using Windows XP.

I downloaded the latest version of DASM, and extracted it into a DASM folder in C:\program files\DASM. I also tried extracting it into several other folders. None worked so far.

I'm using the bin>DOS>dasm.exe. So I tried downloading a DOS emulator (DOSbox) and opening dasm through that. This message comes up "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or a way to set up an IDE (preferably crimson editor since I already have and have used it) to use dasm?

You know you can't just click on dasm.exe from windows and expect it to work, right?

When you say it just flashes briefly and then exits, it looks very much like you're doing that. To run DASM as a DOS app (as opposed to calling it from within an IDE) you need to go to a DOS command window first. Start/RUN and type in 'cmd' if you're using XP/Windows. Then navigate to the directory where DASM is, and type in the appropriate command line.

Cheers

A

I use the Crimson editor as well; this is how I have my user tools configured:

Menu Text: Compile DASM Source Code

Command: D:\Games\Atari2600Dev\DASM\bin\DOS\dasm.exe

Argument: $(FileName) -f3 -o$(FileTitle).bin -l$(FileTitle).lst

Initial Dir: $(FileDir)

Adjust the folders as needed. Basically, to run DASM you need to feed it a bunch of command-line arguments, including the filename of the source file, the output file, and the argument -f3

Thanks. That worked.

[ . . . ]

You know you can't just click on dasm.exe from windows and expect it to work, right?

When you say it just flashes briefly and then exits, it looks very much like you're doing that. To run DASM as a DOS app (as opposed to calling it from within an IDE) you need to go to a DOS command window first. Start/RUN and type in 'cmd' if you're using XP/Windows. Then navigate to the directory where DASM is, and type in the appropriate command line.

Cheers

A

I tried to open it like a normal windows application first. When It didn't come up, I assumed it would only run in DOS. I tried to compile the disassembly of Donkey Kong (from the MiniDig) to test it out, using the "dasm source.asm -f3 -game.bin" command line from Kirk Israel's 2600 101 guide. I got an error message.

It might just be the disassembly, though. I succesfully compiled several demos and Adventure with DASM through Crimson Editor, but it won't compile Donkey Kong. (The bin it spits out is just a blank screen with a rapid clicking noise in the background.) I might try to compile several .asm files that worked through DOS later.

I tried to compile the disassembly of Donkey Kong (from the MiniDig) to test it out, using the "dasm source.asm -f3 -game.bin" command line from Kirk Israel's 2600 101 guide. I got an error message.

hi there, i'm not sure if this was just a typo in your post or if this was the actual command line you used, but the last parameter that indicates the output bin file should read "-ogame.bin". You probable figured it out already, but just thought i'd mention it for future reference..

take care

Jim

• 1 year later...

It also might help to put together a quick-n-dirty batch file to save all that typing.

@echo off
dasm %1.asm -f3 -o%1.bin
start %1.bin

This assumes that you have registered .bin with Stella. I saved by batch file as asm.bat. If my file was called test.asm, I would only have to type

asm test

It will be assembled and then opened by Windows.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a very good tip.

I use a similar batch file all the time:

dasm %1.asm -f3 -o%1.bin
z26 %1 -n

...tho I just named it j.bat (for joystick input). If I'm constantly making edits and trying them out for a specific program, I just use the actual names in a batch file named a.bat.