IGNORED

MAME .107u2 -- Best yet?

Inky

Is it just me, or does it seem as though this is the best version of MAME ever released? The sound is more arcade like, IMHO, and the graphics (at least to me) seem to be sharper.

What was the last MAME you used prior to .107u2? There have been huge changes in the rendering system in .107

It's very easy to keep up with the changes if you download the Pleasuredome torrent.

You run a program to check to see that yours matches theirs. Then, you reseed the torrent so you share bandwidth.. otherwise you will be banned from the tracker.

Then when new updates come out you only need to download the stuff you need, not the full 15GB romset again.

It also requries you to keep about 15 gigs free on your hard drive in order to do that. Not always the easiest thing to do.

That being said, with me getting a cab that I plan on modifying for use with an external bootable USB hard drive. I\'ll probably need to keep my mame ROM\'s up to date.

Hard drives are very cheap these days. Plus, it doesn't require you to keep 15 gigs free. You can just seed until you've seeded the same amount you leeched, then delete that torrent and when the update comes get it.

It also requries you to keep about 15 gigs free on your hard drive in order to do that. Not always the easiest thing to do.

That being said, with me getting a cab that I plan on modifying for use with an external bootable USB hard drive. I\'ll probably need to keep my mame ROM\'s up to date.

Hard drives are very cheap these days. Plus, it doesn't require you to keep 15 gigs free. You can just seed until you've seeded the same amount you leeched, then delete that torrent and when the update comes get it.

Whoops didn't see the part you said about updates. But that requires keeping up with all the updates right? Last time I displayed the mame torrents on pleasuredome I only saw the last set.

BTW the current MAME set and rollback set are currently free torrents on Pleasure dome. Great for getting a poor ratio back in shape.

Well I have determined that Gauntlet Dark Legacy is actually playable. Albeit at the usual snails pace. It\'s gonna be interesting to see if a PC comes out where this can run full speed. :lol:

They also have all those nice sega games that unfortunately do not work. Bummer. :(

Just a couple question.

Besides .107u2 which is the latest version of MAME that was considered to be the best?

Which was the last one to support high scores?

Couldn't really say what would be best. I suppose it would depend on the type and age of games you're looking to play.

Right now - .107 is definitely the best for me due to the new rendering system alone :)

I believe that .106 was the last to have the hacked in hiscore support.

Just a couple question.

Besides .107u2 which is the latest version of MAME that was considered to be the best?

Which was the last one to support high scores?

Couldn't really say what would be best. I suppose it would depend on the type and age of games you're looking to play.

Right now - .107 is definitely the best for me due to the new rendering system alone :)

I believe that .106 was the last to have the 'hacked in' hiscore support.

'hacked in' :lol:

You should read aaron giles blog. There is alot that is just "hacked in" and technically not even save states are "pure emulation", so please spare me the lingo ok. ;) :P

I for one like hi-score support and if .107 offers nothing I find useful then I will just stick with the last version that has hi-score support until it does. No biggy.

In regards to my question regarding best (maybe most "stable" would have been a better term). Maybe a more accurate question was which was the last one to give the best performance/accuracy with the least amount of problems? We all know the MAME team is famous for "breaking" things when they make drastic chanages to the core.

I'm trying to pick a version of MAME that will be the least problematic for my hacked awcade setup. I was actually toying with the idea of keeping a seperate "current version of mame" set-up that I can tweak around with until it is properly set-up.

That way I'd have the main set-up which is mostly trouble free that the family can play without my assistance and then the current "test" version which I can experiment with without worrying about it.

Kinda like a test/production environment that you'd have at the workplace. OK I know I probably sound kinda crazy. But I'm usually more tolerant of different quirks and able to work thru them. Plus with a MAME cabinet a keyboard is not usually handy if something funky happens.

Like I said... It's been years since I really messed with MAME so I'm kinda mostly speaking from past experience. Updating to current versions tended to be a nuisance and with and arcade cabinet it it will be even more so.

I already downloaded the latest MAME roms as well as the rollback set so I should be good to go. I wonder if there is a way to get mamewah to randomly start a game in playback mode as a screensave. hmmm