IGNORED

It's Batari-Man!

atari2600land

I want to make Pac-Man using Batari BASIC. Here's what I have so far. Not very much. I need so much help because there's lots left to do and I don't know how to do very much, so I'll just take it one step at a time. Step 1: How do I make the ghost move in random lines like in Pac-Man using Batari BASIC?

pacman.bas.bin

pacman.bas

post-9475-1155862315_thumb.png

And an newer newer version with moving ghost. I know it's yesterday's date. But what about dots? I'll need lots of them. How could 6 different players of 6 different sprites appear at the same time without flicker in the Space Invaders batari game? Could I do something like that for this? Also, if there's a simpler way to get the ghost moving, please tell me!

pacman081706.bas

pacman081706.bas.bin

Edited by atari2600land

In case it might be helpful, here's a WIP maze 'game' I was working on a while ago with an older version of bB:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77015

Although the code will probably not work with whatever version of bB you are using, you can still run the .bin file with an emulator and at least look at the imperfect .bas file code to see if you can find anything that is useful.

Here's an updated version with a power pill in the middle. Now I need dots for Batari-Man to eat. What is the limit, if any? I'd like 59 dots if possible. If Space Invaders for BASIC can have up to 6 sprites with 6 different aliens without flicker, then that's at least 36 dots I could have without flicker, right? And how do I make more than 2 copies of a player or missile, and set them at different places around the screen like in the Space Invaders BASIC program? I suppose since the dots wouldn't be moving, only removed, then it would be easier than if the dots were moving, right? BTW, the .bas file has remarks (rem).

pacman081806.bas.bin

pacman081806.bas

Are you sure your name isn't Ed Averett Jr.? :P

If Space Invaders for BASIC can have up to 6 sprites with 6 different aliens without flicker, then that's at least 36 dots I could have without flicker, right?

Not in Batari BASIC. You'd need to create it in assembly to get a multisprite, VDEL kernel like that. The original PacMan for the 2600 used the playfield for dots. As you're well aware, that won't work with bBASIC's handling of the playfield.

Edited by jbanes

If you want to avoid flicker, what about being only able to see ghosts that are in line of sight? Then program the ghosts to avoid each other but pursue you, so you'll only see one at a time. That would make for an exciting game. You could make the goal to eat the dot in a given part of the screen. Maybe you can't see the dot until it also is in line of sight. You could also hide a power pill on the map. If you find it, you can eat the ghosts or be immune to their attacks for a few seconds.

As you progress through levels, maybe the power pill doesn't last as long, or the ghosts get faster.

BTW, who is Ed Averett Jr.?

Ed Averett was an incredibly prolific game developer who worked on the Odyssey^2 game console. As it so happened, he wrote nearly every game for the system! Some of the games had their low points and some had their high points. The overall point, though, was that he just kept chucking stuff out to see what would stick. Which was really incredible, even if the quality wasn't always the highest.

I'll leave you to figure out why I asked if your name was Ed Averett Jr. ;) :D

Ah, well, it was fun while it lasted, huh? Here's a final version, although I don't know why I'm posting it. BTW, who is Ed Averett Jr.?

Keep tinkering dude!! I can't wait to see when you rock the socks off everyone and make a really wicked game, which I'm sure you will. ;)

• 2 years later...
Here's an updated version with a power pill in the middle. Now I need dots for Batari-Man to eat. What is the limit, if any? I'd like 59 dots if possible. If Space Invaders for BASIC can have up to 6 sprites with 6 different aliens without flicker, then that's at least 36 dots I could have without flicker, right? And how do I make more than 2 copies of a player or missile, and set them at different places around the screen like in the Space Invaders BASIC program? I suppose since the dots wouldn't be moving, only removed, then it would be easier than if the dots were moving, right? BTW, the .bas file has remarks (rem).

I think it can be done with bB's multisprite kernel:

player0: pac(batari)man

player1-2: four ghosts (w/ 30 hz flicker)

player3-5: 18 pellets (w/30hz flicker and NUSIZx)

missile3-5:18 pellets (w/30hz flicker and NUSIZx)

Cheers,

Jarod.