IGNORED

Catnip Cable : will you buy one ?

Zerosquare

28 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy a Catnip Cable ?

• Yes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

(If you do not know what this is about, read this topic.)

At this point of the Catnip Cable development, we'd like to know how many people would be interested in buying one. Although this is not a preorder, note that the results will affect the project's future. Consequently, please vote only if you're reasonably sure of your choice.

The price should be very approximately around 30 € (that's US $39). We cannot give a more precise estimate at the time, as the production costs are not fully known yet (they depend on the manufacturer we'll choose, on the number of clients, etc.)

The poll has been posted on AtariAge, Jagware, and Yaronet, therefore you can vote if you're a member of one of these sites (if you are a member of several, please vote only on one of these).

Edited by Zerosquare

Sorry for dumb question, but most of the info on the other forum is in French.
Don't be sorry. These posts are the most relevant, and have been translated :

http://www.jagware.org/index.php?s=&sh...post&p=3733

http://www.jagware.org/index.php?s=&sh...post&p=3805

http://www.jagware.org/index.php?s=&sh...post&p=5116

You need a Jag CF cart inorder to use this cable correct?
No, the JagCF is not required. Although the Catnip Cable can be used to update the JagCF, it is also a standalone USB-based BJL transfer cable.

These are the current CF carts, not the new ones being developed correct?
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean ? Edited by Zerosquare

GT Turbo and some other folks are developing a brand new CF cart which new games are being developed - this is different than the sealed CF carts which are available today.

Your previous answer clarified everything with the cable being able to run standalone.

Please put me on the list for one!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Did you vote on the poll ? We are not taking nominative preorders at the moment, so if you're interested, just vote (it is easier to track than posts... of course, if you already did so, and just wanted to show your support, it's all right ;) ).

The standard BJL will drive uploads via this Catnip cable?
Do you mean on the PC side or on the Jaguar side ?

No change is needed on the Jag -- the current BJL ROM, BJL CD, and Protector:SE cartridge can be used.

On PC, you'll have to use the uploader I posted in the BJL API thread (I've not released the Catnip Cable version yet, but I've made one, and it works fine -- the uploading problems only occur with the parallel-cable version).

You need a Jag CF cart inorder to use this cable correct?
No, the JagCF is not required. Although the Catnip Cable can be used to update the JagCF, it is also a standalone USB-based BJL transfer cable.

Can you use already existing products to update the JagCF, or will the Catnip be required for that?

Edited by MetaFox

• 2 months later...
Would this also work with the Atari Jaguar Flash rom cartridges?
Can you give me a pointer to these, please ? (you don't mean the Alpine Boards, do you ?) I don't know anything about them...

Are you using a USB to parallel IC or USB to serial? Curious which chip and what kind of support it has for OS X?
The design is based on the FT232R chip from FTDI, which has MacOS X drivers.

In fact, I already did the a beta-test port of my software to MacOS X on a friend's iBook, and it works, but there are two problems :

* As I don't have any Mac hardware, I need someone proficient in Mac programming to handle the support (producing binaries, fixing platform-specific bugs, etc.).

* MacOS X doesn't support speeds higher than 115,200 bauds for serial devices prior to Tiger (10.4). (For the technically-minded, it's a POSIX limitation - a new system call has been introduced in Tiger to work around this). The hardware supports 115,200 bps, but it's slow...

Interesting.

Couple more questions. You are using a USB to 232 chip from what I gather. Are you using this for interfacing to your CF board, and supporting connecting to joypad 2 for BJL transfers?

If it does the latter (which I think it does) are you supporting 4 bit transfers or 8 bit transfers?

I am not familiar with that FTDI chip (although I have used one of their chips on my OS X machine for a USB to serial interface for a couple devices non-jaguar).

Does the FT232R have enough TTL outputs for the BJL interface?

Just curious on how you implemented this. Sounds interesting.