IGNORED

Beach Head: C64 vs. Atari

Cybergoth

Hi there!

I just stumbled accross an interesting bit in the atarimania database, where the cover scan of "Beach Head" says that the Atari version is 100% machine code. Now, I know that the original C64 version is a basic/assembly hybrid, so I wonder if the Atari port benefitted here from a later birth.

Does anyone know wether the Atari version saw some significant improvements over the C64 version somewhere?

Greetings,

Manuel

From memory the Atari version was inferior. Lack of colour, worse sound. The only real benefit would have been speed, but I don't think even that was different.

I never got the impression that the C-64 version had any BASIC content (other than the usual single-line SYS code).

Beach Head 2 was a better effort - some nice explosions and effects, but from memory they didn't bother with speech effects on either of the Atari versions.

Sometimes memory fails ;)

Practically Beach Head 1 is the same version in Atari 800 and C64.... well, some jerky colored text in the score could be a +1 point in the C64 version. Both version are old and lack of colors.

Beach Heach 2 is from 1986, just when C64 was the top 8bit machine porting. But the Atari version is superior graphically by far. You right, Atari version dont include the speech effects, I think for Atari 800 (48K) compatibility. In overall is impresive the Atari version, using the color DLIs, multicolored sprites, sound efects...

Edited by Allas
  • Like 1

I never got the impression that the C-64 version had any BASIC content (other than the usual single-line SYS code).

That's probably just a pretty easy trick to hide the BASIC code. The SYS would then only jump into some small ASM snippet that relocates the beginning of the BASIC RAM a few bytes higher and then runs the BASIC code residing there.

C64 programmers occasionally did things like that. That way they could do the game logic in BASIC and only the action scenes in ASM. Pirates! is another major example of that technique.

When it comes to BASIC code combined with assembly code, usually only type-in programs did that to save space in magazines. After all a integer number between 0-255 plus komma takes up more space than a single character in a PRINT statement.

Anyway back to beach had: The C64 version really uses a bit BASIC, but not much. It's just the menu screen and score stuff, the game itself is 100% assembly.

Anyway back to beach had: The C64 version really uses a bit BASIC, but not much. It's just the menu screen and score stuff, the game itself is 100% assembly.

Wouldn't that be less than 100% then?

Maybe I was slightly too unclear. With "the game" I talk about the game engine. There are other examples of BASIC + ML games which also have BASIC running when somebody plays the game (for score display, or simply game logic i.e. player has died/extra life etc). But this is not the case: When you play the game, it's 100% assembler code running.

C64 lose memory if BASIC is still active?

Depends on what "lose" means. When running BASIC routines, the KERNAL ROM, BASIC ROM and I/O area need to be active. That's 20 KiB. Then BASIC needs ofcourse some variables in the area between $0000-$03FF. But an assembly routine might ofcourse switch off ROM when it starts and turn it on again when it returns to BASIC.

If you're still considering BASIC/ASM hybrid code: The 8K BASIC ROM needs to be active in the memory map to run BASIC code, but while you execute the ASM parts you can switch in the RAM again.

Like I said above: For assembly routines this doesn't matter. And in Beach Head the BASIC is not active during the game engine anyway, so you never need to have the ROM active there.

Also, even if ROM is enabled the VIC2 still is able to display the RAM underneath. So by placing your bitmap/character/sprite data below the ROM or I/O areas you can use all 64 KiB RAM even if ROM stays enabled all the time.

Beach Heach 2 is from 1986, just when C64 was the top 8bit machine porting. But the Atari version is superior graphically by far. You right, Atari version dont include the speech effects, I think for Atari 800 (48K) compatibility. In overall is impresive the Atari version, using the color DLIs, multicolored sprites, sound efects...

That's just about exactly what I was going to say. And I've played them both very recently :)

ok. the atari version seems more colour full in BH2 but lacks in atmosphere...

the small comic sprites and the missing speech... wasnt there a big cry when the tank hit the player?

or the sound effects were not good as good as the c64 ones...

still would go for the c64 version i am afraid...

• 8 years later...

The speech simply 'made' Beach Head II for myself, added so much atmosphere to the game.The A8 version lacking it, is sadly a mere shadow of an experience for myself in comparison.

Audio is still sadly so often an 'over-looked' medium in games today.

Whilst i appreciate the A8 version was only 48K and still very playable, it's just not the same experience and it's with games like this it's sometimes hard to 'sell' the merits of the A8 range to friends who only ever knew the C64 etc.

:-) This won't mean anything to readers outside the UK, but...

The A8 version of Beach Head II is like the ITV version of the film Die Hard (compared to the Movie or in this example C64 version).So...you have all the explosions, same 'cast', action sequences etc but something is missing, been altered and it really detracts from the atmosphere..

In ITV's case it was the likes of:'yippee-ki-yay, muddy funkster' seeming to appear from our hero rather than what we were used to and it simply was'nt on.