IGNORED

PlayStation 3 to help find a cure for cancer

Agent X

I heard a bunch did, though. When it comes to quality, doesn't the PS2 really blow?

Pretty much.

Nintendo has been the best as far as console survivability goes.

I personally will wait for a PS3 re-design. It'll happen eventually.

From what I hear Blu-Ray is a lot more delicate than DVDs were, so I'd be weary.

Yea this is one of those sytems you can see a redesign a mile away. Besides the fact that its Sony and you know it will come, the thing is huge.. any console that makes a 360 look small is too big. I wonder if it will be as small as the redesign of the ps2 was, or if it will only get to the original ps2 size with the redesign.

Everyone said the Xbox was huge.

I've never understood why size is an issue.... I mean as it pertains to video game consoles. :ponder:

This is very interesting, actually. Although as a game system the PS3 strikes me as rather pricey (more than I can afford to spend anyway), it's nice to see it get some application outside of gaming that is both useful and relevant to the scientific world.

It's also relevant to one of the classes that I'm currently in as a masters student. It's a class on scientific data and analysis and one of the things we've been discussing is the use of distributed systems to do things like this. So I may just have to print this out and bring it in for Thursday when we meet again. I'm sure the professor would be quite interested in it (he's a gamer, too, btw).

Very nice. Thanks for pointing this out. :D :cool:

Probably more relevant to class: XGrid has been built into the Mac OS since v.10.4

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/xgrid/

And the PS3 is bigger still.

Though really, the XBox is just massive. It's a bit taller than a PS2, and lacks the cutins, but the overall footprint is about the same.

I've never understood why size is an issue.... I mean as it pertains to video game consoles. :ponder:

Space and aesthetics. A 5200 looks powerful... but it also takes up about the same amount of space as an NES, PS1, and N64 together.

I heard a bunch did, though. When it comes to quality, doesn't the PS2 really blow?

Pretty much.

Nintendo has been the best as far as console survivability goes.

I personally will wait for a PS3 re-design. It'll happen eventually.

From what I hear Blu-Ray is a lot more delicate than DVDs were, so I'd be weary.

Yea this is one of those sytems you can see a redesign a mile away. Besides the fact that its Sony and you know it will come, the thing is huge.. any console that makes a 360 look small is too big. I wonder if it will be as small as the redesign of the ps2 was, or if it will only get to the original ps2 size with the redesign.

Because some of us don't have lots of room. :(