IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 18: Space Jockey

Ze_ro

Important note: This week's competition is over. Further scores will not be counted in the list.

You are a Space Jockey at the controls of a highly maneuverable Attack Saucer, which appears on the left side of the screen. A variety of enemy weapons and obstacles appear on the right and move toward your space ship. These include tanks, jet planes, prop planes and helicopters, which all fire at you. Additionally, there are balloons, houses and trees that do not fire but are obstacles capable of destroying your Attack Saucer upon impact.

Game Information

• Game Name: Space Jockey
  • Released By: 1982, US Games
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert - Fast enemy shot
  • Right Difficulty: A / Expert - Frequent enemy shot
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: ResOGlas

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, August 31st at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 252,025 (theKLT) [+11]
  2. 112,975 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 105,630 (keilbaca) [+9]
  4. 100,090 (atari2600land) [+8]
  5. 100,000 (Rom Hunter) [+7]
  6. 79,470 (SeaGtGruff) [+6]
  7. 35,300 (LarcenTyler) [+5]
  8. 20,930 (BrianC) [+4]
  9. 20,140 (Malc74) [+3]
  10. 11,465 (SpiceWare) [+2]
  11. 6170 (vdub_bobby) [+1]
  12. 4490 (scogey) [+1]
  13. 1905 (ewing92) [+1]

Best Tips

• LarcenTyler [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 1,015,400 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 1,000,380 (John Marks)
  3. 300,000 (Shane Shaffer)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [179]
  2. keilbaca [142]
  3. SpiceWare [125]
  4. vdub_bobby [83]
  5. shawnb [71]
  6. BrianC [67]
  7. LarcenTyler [66]
  8. scogey [48]
  9. the 5th ghost [46]
  10. Malc74 [40]
  11. Deteacher [38]
  12. 128bytes [34]
  13. Jred [26]
  14. theKLT [25]
  15. Goochman [23]
  16. Cybergoth [22]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • Christophero Sly [17]
  • phaxda [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • SeaGtGruff [15]
  • doctorclu [14]
  • Nathan Strum [12]
  • shadow460 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • supercat [5]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
Scoring Points Space Jockey
  • Jet Plane - 100 points
  • Helicopter - 50 points
  • Prop Plane - 100 points
  • Balloon - 25 points
  • Tank - 100 points
  • House/Tree - 20 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy of it available (unfortunately, it doesn't have any real hints in it anyways).
Here are my tips for this game:

-Enemies only fire at you when you pass within a certain distance of the row they're in. Use this to your advantage by getting them to fire at you, and then dodge their shots and shoot them after it goes past you.

-Only one enemy can fire at a time, meaning that if you can get an enemy to fire at you, you can take out another enemy without fear of being shot at. This is especially useful for taking out tanks.

-Don't go out of your way to go after ground targets. While tanks are worth a high number of points, you can get the same amount from shooting airplanes and jets as well.

It's too easy, all you need to do is hang out between the second and third row of enemies, wait for the middle ship to shoot at you, then dart up and get him before he shoots again... but then it's boring, and takes forever to earn very many points.

--Ze_ro

Oh dear. Oh deary, deary, deary, dear. I'm sorry, but this is utterly terrible. I managed to get to 20140 before succumbing to crippling boredom (I think I had 5 or 6 lives remaining at that point). Playing this on Game 16 would probably be a lot better.

And that's it for me this week. Anyone who has the strength of character to roll this one deserves a medal IMO.

post-4591-1156607198_thumb.jpg

I could've done better, but my concentration lapsed, and I need to go out soon. Here are my tips for this game:

-Enemies only fire at you when you pass within a certain distance of the row they're in. Use this to your advantage by getting them to fire at you, and then dodge their shots and shoot them after it goes past you.

-Only one enemy can fire at a time, meaning that if you can get an enemy to fire at you, you can take out another enemy without fear of being shot at. This is especially useful for taking out tanks.

-Don't go out of your way to go after ground targets. While tanks are worth a high number of points, you can get the same amount from shooting airplanes and jets as well.

post-1653-1156695992_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I'm not feeling this game, and I don't have the time to spend hours on it to max out. I'll leave it at this score.

It's too easy, all you need to do is hang out between the second and third row of enemies, wait for the middle ship to shoot at you, then dart up and get him before he shoots again... but then it's boring, and takes forever to earn very many points. The only reason I got clobbered before I reached 100,000 was because I kept getting bored, so I would take bigger risks and try to get all three enemies. The game would be more interesting if you lost points for each enemy you let slip by, to encourage you to go after all three enemies instead of playing it safe with just one. Or, if you lost points for shooting "friendlies" by mistake, and let the friendlies be the balloons, houses, and trees. It isn't a bad game, by any means, but it could have been more interesting. I wonder if someone could hack this game to make it more of a challenge?

MR

I wonder if someone could hack this game to make it more of a challenge?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ERSION_ID=16186

It certainly beats Space Jockey.

8)

That it does, but I already found a pattern to where I can also play that pretty much as much as I want. It was a bit more difficult to find however :)

The trick is, is to not care about one building, and only pass across the building when its in between two enemies, then follow the building to the end till it wraps around, wash, rinse, repeat.

Whoops! Sorry guys, I lost track of the days (I have to work almost every weekend, so I gradually loose track of which day is which. At least, that's my excuse :roll: ).

Anyways, that's the end of this week's game. I hope you all enjoyed Space Jockey... no? Well, in case you didn't, I hope you enjoy the next game twice as much then :P

--Zero

I really don't like this game....

But look at my high score!! WOO-HOO!!!

Score:1905, WOO-HOO!!!!!!

Yeah...I tryed like 15 times.....I suck at this game......

You must be a joking, right?

A child can play this game blindfolded while taking a leak (and still keeping the toilet clean).

8)