IGNORED

Please Help Very Eager

Me and my friend want to design console games in the future. We thought that we should start with the primitive systems such as atari 2600. We have very little programming knowledge, Im the one who will be doing the programming mainly. Im starting out with vb programming and have a good basis of the language. Can anybody help us? I have read about using the assembler dasm, text editor and emulator to make games. Even so, the dasm Im most confused on how to use. I really need help, thanks

Starting with a primitive twenty-something gaming console is as good a starting point as any, although programming the Atari 2600 is very difficult, and programming for other early consoles is barely easier, especially for beginners. Have you considered skipping ahead to the Game Boy or perhaps the GBA? If all you know is VB, then you might want to start with DragonBASIC. Otherwise, if you're really masochistic enough to start your game programming career with the early consoles, you may want to try Batari Basic.

But if I were you, I'd learn some other languages, like C or C++, before getting into game programming. You won't go all that far with just a basic understanding of VB, although a PC dev-kit like Game Maker is another, more modern option.

Good luck, soldier. :)

I'm open to programming in c/c++, I even have a huge reference book in c++. Do you know where I would have to go from here?

First you need to decide for what system you want to make a game for. Any knowledge of C won't help you at all for the Atari 2600, you'll have to learn its assembly language (even if you start with Batari Basic, you'll soon find that it has its limits). It's possible to develop programs in C for the ColecoVision (in fact, Scott Huggin's Spectar was made in 100% C language). I don't know much about Intellivision programming so I can't help you much there, except maybe for this link.

If you're more enclined towards PC gaming, you can either learn more stuff in VB (I'm sure there's still plenty to learn), or try to find some C/C++ graphic librairies which you should test out with some sample programs, just to figure out how they work. Great learning experience right there, although don't expect all the answers to be handed to you on a silver platter. When in doubt, Google is your friend.

For GBA programming, you can give DevKit-Advance a try. Look for it. :)