IGNORED

I'm going to go to the other side of video game collecting.I

Atari Master

The Dreamcast post below showed me that it's about time to start buying Dreamcast games and Consoules.I'm goind to start looking now and buying all I can find.It sounds alittle harsh but listen to a story from Tips & Tricks magazine.

Story is from Joe Santulli.

In 1984, Kay-Bee was closing out it's Atari 2600 stock and had thrown all of it's games into several giant bins.My friend Kevin and I went back and forth to Kay-Bee quite a few times to pick out the stuff that seemed to be constantly replenished.I ended up grabbing easyily 30 or 40 titles, witch included a few Tigervision games that I haven't seen boxed since (Miner 2049'er II and Marauder come to mind).But one game I passed up was Springer.I remember thinking, "Kevin already has Springer, and it sucks...let me pick up an extra Keystone Kapers instead."We were already collecting at the time, but were unaware of what might be considerd valuable many years down the road.It wasent untill this years Classic Gaming Expo that I was finally able to obtain that game at a reasonable price.But when I think that I once walked away from two or three of them-brand new in the box!- it kills me.For the past 10 years or so, I have not "walked away" from anything that was too good to be true if it was within my means.

So I should hit a few titles and get a sealed Dreamcast and possibly a "Sports Version".I don't want to have to feel like he did.

Anyone know of any titles that would be worth picking up?

As I've said several times before, BUY ANY OF THE FINAL DC RELEASES! This means, Mark of the Wolves, Last Blade, Conflict Zone, NHL 2K2, Bomberman Online, Williams Arcade Collection 2, Sonic 2, etc.!!

Why buy these games? Simple, they are inexpensive and like the Sega Saturn before it, many gamers wrote off the Saturn too soon and as a result missed out on the last Panzer Dragoon, House of the Dead, and Shining Force games! Very few people are buying these final DC games and they are becoming harder and harder to find. Once DC stock is gone forever, people will again regain interest in it and scramble to find the rarer titles (ie: the final releases) and be willing to pay a PREMIUM to get them!

This is a guaranteed trend! It's happened with practically every system (with a few exceptions...3DO, Virtuaboy, etc), but the final releases for a game platform are generally the most rare and sought after games.

quote:

Originally posted by John Soper:

go to
for the "Best of" message board. They have a complete DC game list in one thread and predictions for future rares in another.

BTW, I'm up to 43 games myself. They're not all cheap though, $15 or more each starts to add up.

The key to getting DC titles cheap while there's still a moderate supply of DC stock is to hit major retailers who are desperate to clear out their unsold stock. Case in point, on a recent trip to Sears, I scored a copy of Shenmue, NFL 2K2, Sonic 2 and Outrigger for $4.99 EACH!

Granted, not all Sears locations that I've been to have such bargain basement prices. Best Buy constantly has super cheap DC games, but they vary per location. You need to check constantly...I found a copy of MaxSteele, Last Blade and Test Drive Lemans for $7.99 each! Many titles are still $19.99, but they will drop soon.

Target stores also have dirt cheap DC prices, providing they still have games in stock. Many have since sold out, but a month ago I got a copy of Daytona and the Sega Smash Pack for $9.99 each. Not bad. Hell, Target is already liquidating Gameboy Advance games!! I'm not joking...Iridium3d and Fortress were $14.90 BRAND NEW! And they had something like 5 copies of each!

My DC game buying is coming to an end. I'm looking to focus on getting some of the new XBOX games. I may pick up the last copy of Shenmue II for the DC at my local Gamestop, but they want $59 for it and this is one of the reasons why I bought my Xbox...to play this game properly without those annoying excessive loading times and to avoid having to hear that damn noisy Dreamcast CD motor...it sounds like one of those cheap little plastic toy cars that you pull back to activate their forward-momentum motors.

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

The key to getting DC titles cheap while there's still a moderate supply of DC stock is to hit major retailers who are desperate to clear out their unsold stock. .

Adrian, that's good advice but you can't always count on deals especially if you're picking up the rarish games (some of which you already said to get in another post). I bought some $5 and $7 games, but also spent $20 each on Lodoss, Bangai-O, and Power Stone2. That $15 was more of an average figure. I'm still want to get the vs-Capcom and GTA2 games and they won't be cheap

Either way, it's still better than buying Bounty Bob or Dragoon Saga for $200+

quote:

Originally posted by Atari Master:

The Dreamcast post below showed me that it's about time to start buying Dreamcast games and Consoules.I'm goind to start looking now and buying all I can find.It sounds alittle harsh but listen to a story from Tips & Tricks magazine.

Story is from Joe Santulli.

In 1984, Kay-Bee was closing out it's Atari 2600 stock and had thrown all of it's games into several giant bins.My friend Kevin and I went back and forth to Kay-Bee quite a few times to pick out the stuff that seemed to be constantly replenished.I ended up grabbing easyily 30 or 40 titles, witch included a few Tigervision games that I haven't seen boxed since (Miner 2049'er II and Marauder come to mind).But one game I passed up was Springer.I remember thinking, "Kevin already has Springer, and it sucks...let me pick up an extra Keystone Kapers instead."We were already collecting at the time, but were unaware of what might be considerd valuable many years down the road.It wasent untill this years Classic Gaming Expo that I was finally able to obtain that game at a reasonable price.But when I think that I once walked away from two or three of them-brand new in the box!- it kills me.For the past 10 years or so, I have not "walked away" from anything that was too good to be true if it was within my means.

So I should hit a few titles and get a sealed Dreamcast and possibly a "Sports Version".I don't want to have to feel like he did.

Anyone know of any titles that would be worth picking up?

Well, I have 13 games so far, and plan on picking up many many more.

I went to Sega's site and their "Official" list says there are 250 games, however, I know for a fact there are more. I have the "Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits, Volume 2", which is NOT on their list. I wonder how many more they missed.

For the record, I think the most RARE game out there for the Dreamcast has to be I-SPY: Industrial Espionage (published by UFO...NEC's DC publishing subsidiary).

I became intrigued by this game when the Official Dreamcast Magazine(now defunct) did its rating of every DC released at that point. When I read the review for I:SPY they did mention that the game is tough and unnecessarily complicated (it certainly is) but that perhaps finding it on a store shelf was highly rare. Why? Who knows..perhaps UFO only pressed a limited number of this title and sold them in test markets to see how it would sell. In any event, my quest was to find this game and I found a used copy at my local EB last summer for 99 cents! Then I checked on ebay and bought 5 BRAND NEW copies from some dude who was desperate to sell them. My cost: $5 each. I am holding on to these shrinkwrapped gems for a few more months until the DC mania picks up again.

The game is pretty bad by the way. You are forced to set each team member in motion through a confusing task-priority setting screen and must monitor as many as five guys at one time who have virtually no AI whatsoever. Defintitely a game for those who LOVE to micromanage. As far as localization is concerned, the game is heavily Japanese both graphically and plotwise. All they did was translate the text.

I've gotten some pretty good prices on DC stuff. First, I got the DC with two controllers an 8-meg memory card, vibration pack, and 14 games (most very good) for $80 dollars, used. Then I picked up several titles from EB for 10-20 bucks. Yesterday, I stopped into the local EB and picked up the MadCatz steering wheel for $18!!! It is Awsome! It's my first ever steering wheel for a console, and I now wish to find one for my 3DO, and I told my brother to get one for the Xbox! It took me about an hour to get used to the steering wheel&pedals, but now I am clocking speeds and times about 3X better than with a controller. They had a newer model for $30, but the one I got works great! I'm going by a Best Buy this weekend to check out the games. I'm specifically looking for 3 games; Half-life, Bang! and Draconus: Cult of the worm. I need good FPS, space FPS and RPG's for my DC. Starlancer is good, but I need more, that's where Bang! comes in...by the way, the 3DO DOES have rare games that are good and were released in small quantities at the end too (in reference to the post above stating the opposite).

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

I've gotten some pretty good prices on DC stuff. First, I got the DC with two controllers an 8-meg memory card, vibration pack, and 14 games (most very good) for $80 dollars, used. Then I picked up several titles from EB for 10-20 bucks. Yesterday, I stopped into the local EB and picked up the MadCatz steering wheel for $18!!! It is Awsome! It's my first ever steering wheel for a console, and I now wish to find one for my 3DO, and I told my brother to get one for the Xbox! It took me about an hour to get used to the steering wheel&pedals, but now I am clocking speeds and times about 3X better than with a controller. They had a newer model for $30, but the one I got works great! I'm going by a Best Buy this weekend to check out the games. I'm specifically looking for 3 games; Half-life, Bang! and Draconus: Cult of the worm. I need good FPS, space FPS and RPG's for my DC. Starlancer is good, but I need more, that's where Bang! comes in...by the way, the 3DO DOES have rare games that are good and were released in small quantities at the end too (in reference to the post above stating the opposite).

You're not going to find Half-Life. It was cancelled despite being 100% ready to ship (hell, they even printed a strategy guide for it!). Soldier of Fortune did come out, but I understand that's a pretty mediocre game. Bang!Gunship Elite and Draconus should be pretty easy to find! I see them often in my travels!

Another place to check are Sam Goody's and FYE stores...they always seem to have lots of DC stock at OK prices. Buy from them only if your Best Buy is out of stock.

So are there any good FPS games on the DC that have good solo adventures then? I know about Quake III arena and Unreal, but they seem to be specifically multi-player oriented. I want an adventure!!! ala HALO, but on my DC!!! Thank God I can at least play Halo on the XBOX, but I want a good DC FPS game!

Also, if Half-life is 100% complete, it's just a matter of time before it starts showing up on underground FTP sites...programmers hate for their hard work to go to waste, it'll leak out eventually...it may already be out there somewhere...

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

quote:

So are there any good FPS games on the DC that have good solo adventures then? I know about Quake III arena and Unreal, but they seem to be specifically multi-player oriented. I want an adventure!!! ala HALO, but on my DC!!! Thank God I can at least play Halo on the XBOX, but I want a good DC FPS game!

Also, if Half-life is 100% complete, it's just a matter of time before it starts showing up on underground FTP sites...programmers hate for their hard work to go to waste, it'll leak out eventually...it may already be out there somewhere...

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

Ah HALO! Read my other posts on my latest HALO accomplishment! Just completed it on HARD! Halo is an instant classic, a game for the ages, an epic title, I LOVE THIS GAME!

As for Halo-type games on the DC, there's Soldier of Fortune, and, um...hmmmm....I forget...let me go through my library of DC games quickly to jog my memory....

I just went through them...Outrigger is a FPS, but it doesn't qualify since its a QuakeIII/Unreal fragging game. There aren't any others in my library. Hmmm...guess the fPS was never really the DC's strength.

As for Half-Life, who knows, it may show up. I do know that it was completely ready to go, but since Sega announced the death of the DC, the developers chose to cancel it since sales would have been pretty pathetic.

So are there any good FPS games on the DC that have good solo adventures then?

The N64s real weakness was that it didn't really have any good RPGs (not counting the Zelda games), and the Dreamcast's main weakness is that it doesn't have any good FPS games (not counting the multiplayer ones).

I don't need Halo -- I'm still happily stuck on 007 and Perfect Dark

quote:

Originally posted by GOAT Dan:

The N64s real weakness was that it didn't really have any good RPGs (not counting the Zelda games), and the Dreamcast's main weakness is that it doesn't have any good FPS games (not counting the multiplayer ones).

I don't need Halo -- I'm still happily stuck on 007 and Perfect Dark

Well, heck, as far as that goes, I still play AvP/Doom/Wofenstein on my Jag on a regular basis and PO'ed/SpaceHulk/KillingTime on the 3DO. I guess I'll be looking for Soldier of Fortune for the DC.

I went by the closest BestBuy and Circuit City today, but they didn't have much of a selection, mostly the sports titles and a million copies of KISS: Psycho Circus...is that one a FPS game? Is it any good?LOL

The local EB seems to still get a brisk turn around of DC games, so I keep checking back for used games. I need to find some place that has all the cool games I'm looking for...I may end up just searching the net for the best prices though, that's what's happened to the 3DO and Jaguar, you can find most of the games for both on the net for varying prices from dirt cheap to ridiculous. Saturn too.

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

I have Rainbow six already, it's pretty good, but I also like the more action oriented ones. I play R6 occasionally as well as Spec Ops. How about games like Heavy Metal or a few other 3rd person action games I've seen? Are they good action shooters that are similiar to FPS shooters 'cept for the view?

quote:

I have Rainbow six already, it's pretty good, but I also like the more action oriented ones. I play R6 occasionally as well as Spec Ops. How about games like Heavy Metal or a few other 3rd person action games I've seen? Are they good action shooters that are similiar to FPS shooters 'cept for the view?

Heavy Metal Geomatrix is a 3D fighting game. Spec Ops and Hidden & Dangerous are similar types of games to the R6/Rogue Spear series. They aren't true FPS, but they do break up the monotony a little. All of these titles are a bit on the difficult side and will require a pretty sizeable investment of time to succeed.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Buyatari:

Anyone out there have any DC protos.

I've only been able to pick up 2 unreleased ones. (Test Drive Cycles and Worms Pinball)

Anyone manage to find a copy of Half-life?

Adam

How did you manage to get a hold of two unreleased games? Are they copies? Do you have to use any special techniques to play them (ie: boot disc, etc)

quote:

Originally posted by Lemmi:

I just picked up soul fighter for DC at best buy for $4.99

and NHL2K2 is still $40 which is kinda high to start stocking up on

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: Lemmi ]

I noticed that many Best Buys seemed to have received huge shipments of Vanishing Point which they sell for $9.99. It's not a great racing game by any means, but you may want to add it to your collection if you can find it.