IGNORED

Best Emulators for 8 bit games?

Video

Well, this is for covering pretty much any 8 bit consoles. I was wanting to know what the best emulators are for the 8 bit systems

NES? I've downloaded several emulators, and haven't even found one that works yet.

SMSGot Mekaw065?? I think. Actually picked this up to play GameGear Games, but found out my games were fried or something, so I can't jack them. Maybe the GGs dead, but Anyhow, that's not the point. I hear the GG and SMS use the same hardware, and this worked to play Populous, but is there better ones?

Atari 2600 Z26. Yeah, that's the only real emulator for that, isn't it?

5200 ?

7800?

Coleco?

Intelivision, Actually got something from some site a long time ago, but can't locate the thing anymore Pretty sure it sucked though.

O2 Yeah, probably wont' bother, but anyhow.

That's not all of them, but these are the ones I'm most interested in.

Intelivision, Actually got something from some site a long time ago, but can't locate the thing anymore Pretty sure it sucked though.

Windows: Bliss32 (DirectX)

Other: BlissJ (Java)

There's also an "official" emulator that comes with the IntellivisionLives! collection. You can download a copy of the emulator with their "free Intellipack samples" of Intellivision games. I haven't checked to see if it's hardwired to only play the included games or not.

Edited by jbanes

Well, this is for covering pretty much any 8 bit consoles. I was wanting to know what the best emulators are for the 8 bit systems

NES? I've downloaded several emulators, and haven't even found one that works yet.

SMSGot Mekaw065?? I think. Actually picked this up to play GameGear Games, but found out my games were fried or something, so I can't jack them. Maybe the GGs dead, but Anyhow, that's not the point. I hear the GG and SMS use the same hardware, and this worked to play Populous, but is there better ones?

Atari 2600 Z26. Yeah, that's the only real emulator for that, isn't it?

5200 ?

7800?

Coleco?

O2 Yeah, probably wont' bother, but anyhow.

That's not all of them, but these are the ones I'm most interested in.

For 2600 Stella IMHO is the only way to go

For 5200 & Atari 8bit I use Atari800win Plus it works great

For 7800 myself I like ProSystem

Can't help you really on Coleco as I never been that big of a fan. Of course if you got plenty of HD space as it can get pretty big depending on what you want to EMU you can always use MESS as it emu's all of those systems, Arcade, and just about any other system you can think of including Coleco and Intelivision, you do however need bios files for all the different systems MESS emulates, but you can find them np at: http://users.acn.gr/lagakis/bk/mess.htm

Happy Emu'ing man

Nestopia is the current best NES emulator. You need a powerful computer, however, to run it at the best settings with full speed:

http://nestopia.sourceforge.net/

Yea I agree with him on that one, I forgot about Nestopia, you can't beat it for NES emulation New Version just came out to: v1.33

• 2 weeks later...

?Thanks for the help, the reason I'm wanting to know is I'm going to make my old computer a emulator player, cause I jus think that would be cool. And even though it's old, 233 it should still be able to handle pretty much any of the 8 bits.

I have a Windows 98 PII 400 as a secondary computer and had problems getting NES emulators to work on it (even though SNES and Genesis emulators run fine on it). I finally tried FreezeSMS, and it works well on that machine. It emulates NES, SMS, Game Gear and the Colecovision. I don't know about your computer, but give it a try.

?Thanks for the help, the reason I'm wanting to know is I'm going to make my old computer a emulator player, cause I jus think that would be cool. And even though it's old, 233 it should still be able to handle pretty much any of the 8 bits.

I have a Windows 98 PII 400 as a secondary computer and had problems getting NES emulators to work on it (even though SNES and Genesis emulators run fine on it). I finally tried FreezeSMS, and it works well on that machine. It emulates NES, SMS, Game Gear and the Colecovision. I don't know about your computer, but give it a try.

Hard to beat Nestopia for NES emulation its the one I stick with. I'll take a look at FreezeSMS, but I dunno, I tend to like a seperate emulator for each system. Thats why I got rid of MESS.

MEKA does in fact play SMS and GG games, and will also play games for Sega's older consoles like the Sega Game 1000 and the Sega Computer 3000, as well as games for the ColecoVision. Between MEKA and the ROM management tools provided by SMSPower, I don't think you will find a better emulation experience for any of Sega's 8-bit systems, or for the ColecoVision.

Still might have to check it out, I wasn't that impressed with MESS, and I haven't found a Coleco, Intellivision, or C-64 (and I loved the C-64 back in the day, Space Taxi & Park Patrol kicked ass) emulator that I like yet.

Edited by iratanam

Typically the multi-system emulators are not as good at emulating a specific system, as a mono-system emulator. Quantity versus quality. I recommend not overdoing emulation either. Just emulate a few systems, the ones that you used to play when the system was new.

That may be true, but he was looking for a NES emulator that will run on an older computer. FreezeSMS is the only one I've found that runs NES games on my Win 98 machine. Every other one I've tried requires a more powerful machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the emulator is a convienance thing. The consoles are eating cancerous holes in the wall space and I simply have no more room. So most of them will get packed up (with the exception of my most played ones) The emulators are just so I don't have to dig out a bunch or stuff to play a game when I have the urge to do so. Pluss it's great to take to partys over at friends houses.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll look into that. Freeze SMS may be what I'm looking for, that would cover the Coleco too. Don't know anything about Sega Computers though, except I don't have any, and the Dina will suppposedly play Sega 1000 carts or something Don't know.

As for Commodore, I have CCS64 V 3. I don't much like how it works, it's not very intuitive, but it does work great once you figure it out. It's just not that easy :P

I downloaded Xformer2000 yesterday (Atari 8 bit emulator). It is supposed to support PC joysticks, but when I select joystick in the menu, I can't get my joystick to work. Does anybody know how to enable joysticks for this emulator? Using the keyboard arrow keys just doesn't cut it.

Edited by Ansiterm