IGNORED

Shannon's Blog - Awecades - The Pak's (and a rumour) part 4

RSS Bot

Ok. So as I'm bored passing time waiting for this thing I figured I'd go over the game Pak's available for it.

The fourth one is the "Atari Arcade Pak" (part two). This consists of two parts. The "Arcade Origina's" and the 2600 games some of which include "Arcade at Home". Hence I have split this one up into two seperate blog entries. Today I'm gonna finish with the arcade side as well as covering the laserdisc stuff " Dragons Lair 20th Anniversary Edition".

Here is a list of games it includes.

Atari

Vector games - Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Battlezone, Black Widow, Gravitar, Liberator, Lunar Lander, Major Havock, Red Baron, Space Duel, Tempest

Centipede, Crystal Castles, Missile Command, Millipede, Pong, Super Breakout, Warlords

Dragons Lair 20th Anniversary Edition

Dragon's Lair I, Dragon's Lair II, and Space Ace!

A little birdy tells me that we will also eventually see a Thayer's Quest & Dragon's Lair III combo pak.

My usual comments...

I'll start with the laser disc stuff..

Dragon's Lair & Space Ace - These classics marked the first time live video was included in an arcade cabinet. Oddly enough the gameplay is fairly simple. You press the stick in a certain direction or press a button (too swing your sword for example) and then the game shows you the result of that action. Usually death, but if you picked the right action the game would continue. Pretty shallow gameplay, but then sometimes we like to be shallow. ;)

Asteroids & Asteroids Deluxe - Asteroids was, I believe the first game to allow a player to enter their initials for a high score board. Even to this day this game is alot of fun. For some reason people do not seem to like Asteroids Deluxe (no saucer camping??). Personally I kinda like it myself.

Tempest - This one will keep ya spinning and is the sole reason I had a spinner put on my machine. Yes I like it that much!

Centipeded, Millipede, Crystal Castles, Missile Command - Perfect companions for the trackball!

Warlords - Great four player fun! Sadly this game emphasizes one of the flaws of the awecade. It's kinda hard to squeeze four players and spinners in that little space. But then that'd be kinda going against the intent of the cabinet design anyways. Me wonders what would happen if I plugged a stella adapter into the USB port and a pair of paddles... :ponder:

Pong - The great grandaddy.. Despite not being in MAME. It makes it here for your perusal.

Well that's it for this Awecade pak! See ya!

blog-3211-1156743426.jpg

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=1917