IGNORED

HANDY- Atari ST/E HARD DISC

Zeptari

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDY-Huge-Space-Mobil...1QQcmdZViewItem

Can anyone tell me more about this thing?

Was this a homemade project?

Anyone here have one? If so, how anout a review?

-Rick

Now that is cute. They are finally getting good use out of that cartridge port.

This proves how much potential the ST's had. My gosh just hink about it. I heard a while ago or read that Atari's were getting a lot of miles in Poland, and this proves it. Gigabyte HD storage through the cartridge port. Man could I have used that back in the day.

It has been around for a while. It looks like a nice hack.

Be aware that it's not 100% AHDI compatible. Some finicky software may not like it (off the top of my head...Notator). The drivers are custom drivers that are not AHDI compatible. So if you generally use cleanly written software, then it just may work.

Otherwise, you're better off with a hard drive connected to the ACSI port with an AHDI compatible driver. (I prefer using the ACSI port myself anyday)

• 7 months later...
It has been around for a while. It looks like a nice hack.

Be aware that it's not 100% AHDI compatible. Some finicky software may not like it (off the top of my head...Notator). The drivers are custom drivers that are not AHDI compatible. So if you generally use cleanly written software, then it just may work.

Otherwise, you're better off with a hard drive connected to the ACSI port with an AHDI compatible driver. (I prefer using the ACSI port myself anyday)

AHDI and ACSI compability is not same thing. AHDI is not tied for specific port on Atari. So, beeing AHDI compatible is possible on Cartridge, IDE or any other port. It depends on driver.

And I must say here, that AHDI is not perfect. What is AHDI? Bunch of rules for block device support on Atari. It has some stupid limitations and supports not more than 1 driver at once. XHDI tries to override them - but all it is just waste for average, single-task Atari user.

If some proggy works only with ACSI port based drives blame it, not adapter.