IGNORED

What game is this?!

yuppicide

I recall a game from my youth. I mentioned it here a few times when we talk about games that have a special place in my heart. The game I am referring to I thought was called Omni, but now I am not sure because the Omni in MAME is not the one I remember.

The place I played it was in a deli near my house (New Jersey) and they had about 6 games in there at the time. They were known for generic games in brown cabinets, sometimes with the wrong name on them or a generic title. Like Pac-Man, but a hand painted sign. I guess the guy got a good deal on them and could swap out the boards inside from time to time. The deli in the next town over had some of these same machines.

Anyway, the machine said OMNI on it as far as I can remember. This was in the 80's sometime. It might have been in a black cabinet, in fact I am pretty certain it was black as opposed to all the other brown ones in there. Not sure if it was an original cabinet or not. This is the only place I've ever seen it.

It was a side-scrolling space game where you scrolled to the right. You shot things. There were rings you could fly through for points. That's about all I remember.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recall a game from my youth. I mentioned it here a few times when we talk about games that have a special place in my heart. The game I am referring to I thought was called Omni, but now I am not sure because the Omni in MAME is not the one I remember.

The place I played it was in a deli near my house (New Jersey) and they had about 6 games in there at the time. They were known for generic games in brown cabinets, sometimes with the wrong name on them or a generic title. Like Pac-Man, but a hand painted sign. I guess the guy got a good deal on them and could swap out the boards inside from time to time. The deli in the next town over had some of these same machines.

Anyway, the machine said OMNI on it as far as I can remember. This was in the 80's sometime. It might have been in a black cabinet, in fact I am pretty certain it was black as opposed to all the other brown ones in there. Not sure if it was an original cabinet or not. This is the only place I've ever seen it.

It was a side-scrolling space game where you scrolled to the right. You shot things. There were rings you could fly through for points. That's about all I remember.

I think you mean tuni. a company called century electronics made a bunch of games that could be converted easily. They had stickers and marquees that said tuni on them. maybe one of those listed below is the game your looking for.

Games Manufactured by Century Electronics:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Manufacturer Year Type Images

Cosmos Century Electronics 1981 Videogame

Dark Warrior Century Electronics 1981 Videogame

Dazzler Century Electronics 1982 Videogame

Delete Century Electronics 1982 Videogame

Gold Bug Century Electronics 1982 Videogame

Heart Attack Century Electronics 1983 Videogame

Hunch Back Century Electronics 1983 Videogame

Logger Century Electronics 1982 Videogame

Out Line Century Electronics 1982 Videogame

Radar Zone Century Electronics 1982 Videogame

Space Fortress Century Electronics 1981 Videogame

Space Warp Century Electronics 1983 Videogame

Video 8 Ball Century Electronics 1982 Videogame

Video 8 Ball (Eight Ball) Century Electronics 1981 Videogame

Voyager Century Electronics 1981 Videogame

I don't think it's Century as their games are too old - forced side scrollers, with the exception of Scramble and I guess Zaxxon weren't popular until around 85. It's possible the sign was supposed to say Konami but was written without the K - onami?

Grasping at straws I know. But that would suggest Gradius, Salamander, Nemesis or even Parodius or one of their clones.

I don't think it's Century as their games are too old - forced side scrollers, with the exception of Scramble and I guess Zaxxon weren't popular until around 85. It's possible the sign was supposed to say Konami but was written without the K - onami?

Grasping at straws I know. But that would suggest Gradius, Salamander, Nemesis or even Parodius or one of their clones.

your probably right about knomai. They were very propular back then. I did not play many of the mid 80's games. I just thought those tuni cabinets might be it.