IGNORED

COmmodore 64 vs 128

markheus

Are 128's fully compatible with 64 cartridges and programs? If I remember correctly, there was a switch on the 128 to run in 64 mode. Is this a true 64 mode?

Yes, compability is nearly 100%.

FOr instance, if I was learning assembly for the 64 would it apply to the 128?

Imagine the C128 as an extended C64.

Andrew Braybrook wrote some of his games to exploit the 2MHz CPU speed over the C64's 1MHz if you were playing his games on a 128 in 64 mode. Would add extra enemies and small features.

How is that possible? I was under the impression that in order to switch to 2MHz mode, the VIC-II chip had to be disabled, which would make C64 mode useless.

I wrote a short raster interrupt program that would turn on 2 MHz when the bottom border started and turn back to 1 MHz when the top border ended. It wasn't compatible with everything, but I found it useful for making BASIC programs run about 25% faster.

I was always disappointed that the VDC chip was so limited in it's capabilities compared to the VIC-II... I was looking forward to pulling off some nifty high-res graphics, but the chips abilities really only work well for displaying text :(

The VDC could be used for games :D

c128-2.png

I started work on a version of asteroids and used the VDC's blitter to rotate the asteroids. I'd also gotten the ship to fly around but hadn't yet added the shots when I bought an Amiga and lost interest in finishing the game.