IGNORED

Commodore 64/128 Cartridge Games List?

VintageVGMR

As some of you all know, I picked up a commodore 128 system a few weeks back.

I was gonna try to sell it. But, I thought I might have a little fun with it for a while before I found it a good home.

Anyway. I was wondering if there was a list out there of Commodore 64/128 game cartridges.

Or heck. If anyone had any for sale I might consider those too.

I would be interested in seeing what all carts are out on C64 too. I only know of Thin Ice, and Congo Bongo, both great games, but I always thought cart games were rather rare, but it appears that there are around 200 or so.

I'd love to know what Thin Ice is, cos I've never heard of it!

(I'm the geezer doing the C64 section for Digital Press you see)

That's pretty much THE place for a proper list, though you'll want to see the 100 odd foreign releases too...

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/listing.c...6&section=2

If you want pictures of stuff and whatever, then you need to check out my site (so hit the link below!).

Oh, I wasn't planning on restricting myself to cartridges only. Although, as I said, I do plan on selling it sometime.

I just remember the days of my friends 64. The cartridges are a much more reliable medium.

Back then it was almost manditory that you made back up disks of the games you bought to make sure when the failed you could still play.

5 1/4" floppies were the pits.

At any rate. Depending on how the NES version of Impossible Mission works and looks, I may still have to get the C64 version anyway. That was on of my favorite C64 games.

At any rate. Depending on how the NES version of Impossible Mission works and looks, I may still have to get the C64 version anyway. That was on of my favorite C64 games.

NES doesn't have Impossible Mission 1, it only has Impossible Mission II. I wasn't too impressed from what I tried of the NES version. It doesn't look as good as the C64 version. The colors on the NES version almost look like a CGA PC game. The SMS version of Impossible Mission 1 is quite good, though.

Edited by BrianC

Some of these abbreivation are lost with me.

CGA PC ????

SMS????

Oh, and yeah. I meant Impossible Mission II for NES not Impossible Mission. My friend had both for the C64.

CGA - Color Graphics Adapter (4 colors and a few different pallet combos)

PC - Personal Computer (aka. IBM's)

SMS - Sega Master System

Tempest

Some of these abbreivation are lost with me.

CGA PC ????

SMS????

Oh, and yeah. I meant Impossible Mission II for NES not Impossible Mission. My friend had both for the C64.

CGA - Color Graphics Adapter (4 colors and a few different pallet combos)

PC - Personal Computer (aka. IBM's)

SMS - Sega Master System

Tempest

Ah. Ok. For some reason I had a brain freeze when I saw CGA and PC together. PC I should have figured. The same for CGA too.

SMS. The abbreviation was lost on me. But, then again, i didn't know about the SMS until just a few days ago. Just knew about the Genesis, CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast.

I would be interested in seeing what all carts are out on C64 too. I only know of Thin Ice, and Congo Bongo, both great games, but I always thought cart games were rather rare, but it appears that there are around 200 or so.

That's pretty much THE place for a proper list, though you'll want to see the 100 odd foreign releases too...

If you want pictures of stuff and whatever, then you need to check out my site (so hit the link below!).

If someone hasn't already done so, thanks for you time and effort in making the Commodore Cartridge list. It's a good effort. :)

I noticed some of the games were from countries other than the US. Were there any issues playing games from other contries like consoles sometimes have?

Edited by VintageVGMR

I noticed some of the games were from countries other than the US. Were there any issues playing games from other contries like consoles sometimes have?

Commodore 64s don't have intentional region coding like modern consoles do. However, because of the differences between the PAL and NTSC television standards, and the changes Commodore made to accomodate those standards, software intended for Commodore 64s released in PAL land (Europe, most of Asia, etc.) is often flaky when run on Commodore 64s released in NTSC land (North America, Japan, most of South America, etc.), and vice versa. Graphics can glitch, music can sound faster or slower, and so on. Usually it's not a big problem, and most games are still playable. However, anything that makes heavy use of the video hardware, such as graphics and sound demos, may not run at all.

This web page explains the differences. Google can dig up other info if you're still curious.

Edited by skunkworx

Thin Ice, I think that's what it was called. It was just an alternate version of Frogger, where you went from the bottome to the top of the screen, jumping on floating ice sheets. It was sort of skewed to give the illusion of 3D, and that is probably why the game is nearly unplayable, cause hit detection is way off between your characture and the ice.

If I remember right, the ice melted when you stayed on it to long, or when you jumped off, don't remember, the game pretty much sucked IMO.

I also had a cart 16 basic something, but it didn't work, maybe it was for the C16 istead?

Commodore 64s don't have intentional region coding like modern consoles do. However, because of the differences between the PAL and NTSC television standards, and the changes Commodore made to accomodate those standards, software intended for Commodore 64s released in PAL land (Europe, most of Asia, etc.) is often flaky when run on Commodore 64s released in NTSC land (North America, Japan, most of South America, etc.), and vice versa. Graphics can glitch, music can sound faster or slower, and so on. Usually it's not a big problem, and most games are still playable. However, anything that makes heavy use of the video hardware, such as graphics and sound demos, may not run at all.

This web page explains the differences. Google can dig up other info if you're still curious.

Thanks for the info. Being as I was only exposed to US N64 games, I doubt it will be much of an issue. But, on the safe side I will always ask before making a purchase.