IGNORED

DC and FPS games

Gunstar

OK, first off let me just state that first person shooters in the vein of DOOM are one of my favorite genres. I say this to let you know, that even if a game is considered only average in the eyes of the general public, that I may still enjoy it. I'm not necessarily looking for the most advanced, state-of-the-art FPS games like HALO or HALF-LIFE, as long as they are as good, graphically and game play wise, or better than DOOM (Yes, in all it's 9 year-old obsolete glory, I love it), I'll probably be happy.

That being said, what are some FPS games on the DC that I should be aware of? I already have Rainbow Six (one of them) and it's cool, but there is too much strategy and planning involved, plus, I don't really like the "one shot and your dead" super-realism of it. Give me a health bar and health packs and send me in with guns blazing! I recently picked up Spec-Ops: Omega Squad which is fun and more of what I'm looking for, but I do want more...so, tell me about these games I have listed below and any others that I missed that I should be on the look out for:

KISS:Psycho Circus

OutRigger

Heavy Metal

Soldier of Fortune

Quake III

Unreal Tournament

for those last two, I only need to know one thing about them before I take the plunge and buy; Are there solo, one player missions and levels to complete in these games or are they strictly online/multiplayer shoot-outs, good only for fragging a friend?

Are there any I missed?

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

Even though KISS: etc is a bad game, it is probably the closest to what you are looking for out of that bunch.

Quake III and Unreal are both multi-player based frag-fests as is Heavy Metal.

Another game you might want to try is Fur Fighters. It doesn't have the gritty style of Doom, but it is a decent FPS.

Ports of Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake 1 are all available off the net... you would have to burn the discs yourself.

This Spec Ops: Omega Squad game is turning out to be pretty cool. The graphics are in between 007 on the N64 and 007 on the PS2&Xbox. But then, so was the DC, in between. It's loads of fun. Seems to be a big "sleeper" hit.

About Quake & Doom ports for cdr burning, is that easy to do? I've seen the sites, but I tried to make a cdr of the 5200 emulator and I ended up making a coffee coaster.

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

About Quake & Doom ports for cdr burning, is that easy to do? I've seen the sites, but I tried to make a cdr of the 5200 emulator and I ended up making a coffee coaster.

It is actually not easy... I got fixated on succeeding at it and made about 10 coasters before getting it right. I think that was last fall or summer though, so I would probably have to start over from scratch on them...

There is a tutorial on this site:

http://www.consolevision.com/