IGNORED

Gamecube Suggestions..

My friend is picking up a Gamecube soon, anyone have any suggestions as far as what games to get?

I know I hear about the Mario World X or something along those lines, hopefully it's a good release!

How is Lugi's Mansion? Too kiddy like? or would anyone actually recommend it?

As far as myself, I'll be getting a PS2 (again, my 2nd one) in a few weeks and of course Grand Theft Auto III and Max Payne =) hehe, possibly even Virtua Fighter 4!

Latahs,

Clint

yeah, if he's ever liked any of the original Star Wars movies, definitely Rogue Leader. I've been playing it for 4 months now and STILL my jaw hits the floor when I see it running. Awesome game.

Luigis Mansion is ingenious and very funny (and good for learning the control pad layout - it uses ALL the keys and sticks).

Luigis Mansion isn't too kiddy, no. In fact, although it's done in a comic style, it can be really quite spooky at times. I'm no Mario fan but I love LM.

Not too much around on the Gamecube at the moment (though thats changing soon) so I guess they'd be my key titles to recommend.

Er...2nd Ps2? Are you eating them or something?? I must get a PS2 soon, Ace Combat 4 looks fantastic.

Clint,

I would recommend:

Pikmin (awesome game!)

Super Monkey Ball (the multiplayer games are fab!)

Wave Race Blue Storm (you've never experinced a game set on REAL water before - the physics are incredible)

Lugi's Mansion (simple, but fun)

However I would not recommend Max Payne on PS2 - really ugly and the controls don't to the game justice at all...

sTeVE

About dang time.

Ahem.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend Super Monkey Ball and Rogue Leader as definite purchases. I would rent Luigi's Mansion, WaveRace, and Pikmin before buying them. Those last three are definitely good games, but can all be beat within the standard 3 day window.

I've had a chance to play the new Resident Evil (Import), and I must say I'm quite impressed. Those are big words coming from me, as I've hated all of the other RE games. I would definitely recommend that as a purchase on the 30th.

Is there a change in the air? Has the sun come out? Why have the birds started singing?

Oh yeah, I completely forgot Resi Evil. That looks VERY scary indeed.

Unlike Sauron, I have the luxury of being terrible at videogames - so I'm STILL playing Luigis Mansion.

Hey now, I didn't claim to do the same feat myself. I just happen to know many people who beat that game pretty quickly. I haven't played a whole lot of LM, but I can honestly say what I have played was pretty good. Pikmin took me about a week to beat, though, but your mileage may vary. That's why I suggested to rent before you buy.

On the other hand. RL and SMB take MUCH longer to beat...I guarantee no one who visits these boards will beat those games within the standard 3 day rental window.

Super Monkey Ball & Rogue Leader! Those were the titles I got at launch and I'm still playing with 'em. Super Monkey Ball is by far my favorite...it's devilishly simple. And, if you have several people, monkey bowling can't be beat (just turn the music down). Practically every night my parents and I would settle in and bowl a few games--and since my parents haven't played any games since Atari 2600 era, that's a true testiment to the simplicity and fun of Monkey Ball. Rogue Leader is a thrill for any Star Wars Fan...it's like living the movies. It took me a few minutes to get into the controls, but once I did, it was very easy to beat the first few levels. I especially enjoyed the Battle of Hoth.

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

I see you have chosen to ignore our warnings, so bye Adrian!

..Al

*Standing Ovation*

As for games I would recommend for the Cube, here goes:

Rogue Leader - Jaw-dropping graphics, intense Star Wars action. Enough said.

Pikmin - Addicting strategy gameplay with that unique Miyamoto touch.

Smash Bros. Melee - Great multiplayer gaming with all of Nintendo's classic characters. Expanded single player gameplay over the original as well.

Tony Hawk 3 - By now you should know if you're a fan of the THPS series or not. This game kicks it up another notch with improved graphics and tweaked gameplay thanks to the revert.

Wave Race: Blue Storm - I was a huge fan of the original and this was one of the first titles I picked up for the GC at launch. I've still yet to beat it on expert though - very tough!

Super Monkey Ball - Follows the old "easy to learn, difficult to master" mantra. Great for single and multiplayer, with cool mini games to unlock.

007 Agent Under Fire - Just finished getting all platinum medals. Currently your only choice for FPS gaming on the Cube, but it's a great one, especially if you're a Bond nut. Great multiplayer and features Bots not found in the PS2 version.

-Kevin

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: K3V ]

I can vouch for Super Monkey Ball being a really fun game. I played it about 2 months ago at a friend's house. We didn't actually play the main Super Monkey Ball game, just a couple of the multiplayer mini-games.

One of them had you roll your monkey (who is encased in a ball) down a ramp and over a large body of water, where you had to open up the two halves of the ball like a pair of wings and try to land on targets to score points. Some targets would score more points than others, and of course those were usually the harder ones to land on successfully. You could also gain and activate powerups, which might make it easier for you to hit the desired (high-scoring) targets.

Another one had the monkeys rolling around on a floating arena with spring-loaded fists. The goal was to try to punch the opponent off the side of the arena as many times as possible within the time limit (I think it was 2 minutes). There were also powerups that would materialize to make things interesting, such as making the fist bigger or giving it a longer reach.

Again, I don't know how good the main game is, but those mini-games sure seemed to be worth it. I'm interested in what other people think of the different mini-games.

We also played a 5-player game of Top Shop on the PlayStation that night. That one is a surprisingly exciting video board game that Agetec put out as a budget title (under $10). My friend loves multiplayer games, and he really knows how to pick them, too.

If you like platform games, then Pac-Man World 2 is excellent! I've only played the PlayStation 2 version, but reviews indicate that the GameCube version is similar. As an added bonus for those of us who like classic games, the game has an arcade in it where you can play several of the older Pac-Man games (I think they are Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Mania, and Pac-Attack). You first need to accumulate tokens in the main game to unlock access to those game, though, so don't get it if that is the sole reason for purchase. Fortunately, the main platform game portion of it is worthy!

quote:

Originally posted by Lost Monkey:

Thanks everyone... now I am going to HAVE to pick up Super Monkey Ball.

I fugured from the start that it would be a game I would really like, but I've somehow managed to escape buying it.

haha. That's exactly what I was thinking. yeah, the sub-games alone make it a worthy purchase. What was putting me off about it before was the frustration level of those rolly-ball type games. If you guys can tell me for sure that it isn't nearly as annoying as Marble Madness (which I'd rather eat paint than play again - even if I didn't like paint) then I'll buy it right away

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

If you guys can tell me for sure that it isn't nearly as annoying as Marble Madness (which I'd rather eat paint than play again - even if I didn't like paint) then I'll buy it right away

Well, the main game is certainly as aggravating as Marble Madness, at least after you do all the relatively easy levels. But the various minigames are a bit less frustrating and more competitive when you're playing against one or more people. I hadn't even tried all the minigames until I stopped at Brien King's house on my way back from California last week. Of course, he generally kicked my ass, but it was quite a bit of fun! There's also a miniature golf game, with some very evil holes. Definitely worth it for all the minigames alone, especially if you have someone else you can play them with.

..Al