IGNORED

Who knows a lot about the Commodore 64?

TheBman80

I haven't thought about it in years but I was given tons of C64 stuff before I had a computer by my cousins. They got a home computer and gave me everything they had which was a lot they got their stuff from their church when they upgraded. When I say a lot I mean a lot I probably have just about everything C64 made I have 2 monitors 1 works the other turns on and the screen lights up but nothing both with original boxes and one with complete styrofoam inserts the other with most of them. I have like 5 C64 computers two with original boxes but it seems 1 of them works can the others be fixed? They all have power lights that come on but nothing comes up on the monitor. I have 2 hard drives that I have found so far one constantly runs and does nothing red light never turns off and the other works fine. I took some stuff out of the Attic and tested a few games they work fine. But their is so much stuff i think I have 10 huge boxes full of software and hardware I even found 2 printers so far I really have no idea all the stuff I have nor the room to take it all out and go through it yet so it may be a slow process. I even have a bunch of stuff that I have found that was never opened at all games hardware ect. Any idea on the value of some of this stuff and can the nonworking stuff be fixed? with the huge amounts of doubles of games and software I would consider trades for some stuff depending on what you wanted to trade. I was never a big C64 fan I got this stuff well after all the nintendo systems and home computers came out so I never really got into it. If you need pictures let me know.

Hi It's late.. but I'm still wired from work can't think of what to do though... so I guess I'll just post an edited version this members post to be more readable.. not neccesarily perfect though. Don't mind me...

I haven't thought about it in years but I was given tons of C64 stuff before I had a computer by my cousins. They got a home computer and gave me everything they had which was a lot they got their stuff from their church when they upgraded.

When I say a lot I mean a lot I probably have just about everything C64 made. I have 2 monitors 1 works the other turns on and the screen lights up but nothing. Both with original boxes and one with complete styrofoam inserts the other with most of them.

I have like 5 C64 computers, two with original boxes but it seems 1 of them works, can the others be fixed? They all have power lights that come on but nothing comes up on the monitor.

I have 2 hard drives that I have found so far one constantly runs and does nothing red light never turns off and the other works fine.

I took some stuff out of the Attic and tested a few games they work fine. But there is so much stuff I think I have 10 huge boxes full of software and hardware I even found 2 printers so far I really have no idea all the stuff I have nor the room to take it all out and go through it yet so it may be a slow process. I even have a bunch of stuff that I have found that was never opened at all games hardware ect.

Any idea on the value of some of this stuff and can the nonworking stuff be fixed? with the huge amounts of doubles of games and software I would consider trades for some stuff depending on what you wanted to trade. I was never a big C64 fan I got this stuff well after all the nintendo systems and home computers came out so I never really got into it. If you need pictures let me know.

Anyway... I'd like to know what, if any extra boxed copies of games you have if you're looking to sell.

I haven't thought about it in years but I was given tons of C64 stuff before I had a computer by my cousins. They got a home computer and gave me everything they had which was a lot they got their stuff from their church when they upgraded. When I say a lot I mean a lot I probably have just about everything C64 made I have 2 monitors 1 works the other turns on and the screen lights up but nothing both with original boxes and one with complete styrofoam inserts the other with most of them. I have like 5 C64 computers two with original boxes but it seems 1 of them works can the others be fixed? They all have power lights that come on but nothing comes up on the monitor. I have 2 hard drives that I have found so far one constantly runs and does nothing red light never turns off and the other works fine. I took some stuff out of the Attic and tested a few games they work fine. But their is so much stuff i think I have 10 huge boxes full of software and hardware I even found 2 printers so far I really have no idea all the stuff I have nor the room to take it all out and go through it yet so it may be a slow process. I even have a bunch of stuff that I have found that was never opened at all games hardware ect. Any idea on the value of some of this stuff and can the nonworking stuff be fixed? with the huge amounts of doubles of games and software I would consider trades for some stuff depending on what you wanted to trade. I was never a big C64 fan I got this stuff well after all the nintendo systems and home computers came out so I never really got into it. If you need pictures let me know.

Unopened items are worth far more than opened items. So if you plan to sell it, do not open it up. If you plan to play with it, open it up, and have fun.

Cheers

A

Broken stuff is almost worthless. The reason to trade and to make trades that include broken stuff is if the other person is going to make the effort to rehabilitate the item (which many will). In that case, you've got to realize that the guy taking your broken item off your hands is doing it as a favor to you and a favor to the community, and make the deal reasonable for that person.

Well I'm telling everyone that they don't work for a reason so I can get information on how fix them if I decide to get rid of them I want them to be working first I don't like giving people crap. I found a guy who sells replacement chips for it and he gave me a few pointers on were to start. Ok well I'm taking off for the day I will post some pictures tonight and more information. Good thing It's raining today Now I have a reason to really dig in to the C64 stuff.

When I say a lot I mean a lot I probably have just about everything C64 made.

I don't know about that, there was a LOT of C64 stuff made!

I have 2 monitors 1 works the other turns on and the screen lights up but nothing. Both with original boxes and one with complete styrofoam inserts the other with most of them.

Fixing monitors is somewhat risky business, and in this case, probably not worth it. Commodore 1084S monitors are somewhat in demand, but if it's anything older than that (I'm guessing yours is probably a Commodore 1702) which doesn't do RGB, then it's mostly worthless.

I have like 5 C64 computers, two with original boxes but it seems 1 of them works, can the others be fixed? They all have power lights that come on but nothing comes up on the monitor.

Well, that depends on what's wrong with them. In my experience, the most common problem with broken C64's is caused by accidentally shocking the joystick port with static electricity when reaching for the power switch (which was right next to the ports). This usually burns out the CIA chip inside the machine. If this is indeed what has happened, then replacing the CIA chip might revive the computer. Honestly though, C64's aren't terribly rare, and it might not be worth seeking out CIA chips, as the computers likely won't sell for a whole lot, even in working condition.

I have 2 hard drives that I have found so far one constantly runs and does nothing red light never turns off and the other works fine.

I assume you mean DISK drives rather than hard drives here... That doesn't necessarily mean it's broken. How did you test them? If I turn on my 1571 disk drive without having the computer turned on, it will constantly run like that, but it definitely still works. Try hooking them up to a computer and read some disks before you toss it out, as it may still be working (If you don't know how to do this, just load in a disk and type LOAD"$",8 and then type LIST, this should give you a directory listing). Working disk drives are somewhat more in demand than C64's themselves, as the drives are more fragile.

I took some stuff out of the Attic and tested a few games they work fine. But there is so much stuff I think I have 10 huge boxes full of software and hardware I even found 2 printers so far I really have no idea all the stuff I have nor the room to take it all out and go through it yet so it may be a slow process. I even have a bunch of stuff that I have found that was never opened at all games hardware ect.

Well, when you do get around to sorting it all out, I urge you to list the stuff in here, as I'm sure there are plenty of C64 people around who might be interested in buying stuff. If you don't know what something is, please post a picture of it, and I'm sure one of us will be able to identify it!

--Zero

Yeah Not everything they made but a whole hell of a lot of software and what not I already found a source for chips for the C64 so I just have to figure out what in the world the problem is with them. I know the one is a 1702 the other nonworking one is as well I'm not really In the mood to mess with old computer monitors I'm going to learn how to rebuild arcade monitors you get a lot more out of those. Yeah I did mean disk drives was just getting tired as hell last night and was trying to get the post out there for some help. I'm going to start sorting now I will try to post some stuff tonight maybe try to get some of this stuff a new home its better to get stuff like this to people who will use it more instead of it just sitting in storage for 10+ more years. oh and to all interested here's the place that sells replacement chips for the C64 and other computer stuff. He has a few suggestions on his page what could be wrong with the C64's I have. In the repair log on the web page heres what he suggested

http://www.arcadecomponents.com/index.html

Commodore 64 gives nothing but a blank screen - reset line on CPU is stuck

Found a short between the 7406 IC and the metalized cardboard RFI shield. Attached a thin piece of posterboard to the shield with double-stick tape and trimmed the pin on the IC.

Commodore 64 gives nothing but a blank screen

Found multiple machines with this symptom: Replaced bad VIC II chip on one, replaced a bad PLA chip on another, Replaced a bad 74LS629. Could also be caused by a defective crystal.

Edited by TheBman80

Just went through a ton of software tonight I separated all the games from hardware programs then sorted out all the games and put them all with their instruction booklets/ boxes. I figured everyone wants me to list the games first But not tonight I have every game sorted theirs lots of doubles triples and sometimes even like 6 copies like Gauntlet well maybe a few more if you count all the bootleg copies of most of the games. Their is tons of stuff I will try to list the games tomorrow and how many copies / bootleg backup copies I have. Then I will list all the little add ons I have modems fast boot carts ect. I have lots of basic books and word processing programs lots of office stuff If anyones interested. I know their is a mouse still in the plastic wrap and a few other programs. It basically took me from 7pm to 12am to sort through the games and program disks If that gives you any idea of how much their is.

Edited by TheBman80

Just went through a ton of software tonight I separated all the games from hardware programs then sorted out all the games and put them all with their instruction booklets/ boxes. I figured everyone wants me to list the games first But not tonight I have every game sorted theirs lots of doubles triples and sometimes even like 6 copies like Gauntlet well maybe a few more if you count all the bootleg copies of most of the games. Their is tons of stuff I will try to list the games tomorrow and how many copies / bootleg backup copies I have. Then I will list all the little add ons I have modems fast boot carts ect. I have lots of basic books and word processing programs lots of office stuff If anyones interested. I know their is a mouse still in the plastic wrap and a few other programs. It basically took me from 7pm to 12am to sort through the games and program disks If that gives you any idea of how much their is.

Hi serious C-64 fan here :D The hardware, working or not, is probably not worth too much,

The Commodore 64 personal computer, released in August 1982, became the best selling single computer model of all time, according to the Guinness Book of World Records

with 17 million being made, they just are not that valuable, even if they work 100%....

The software is a different story, tho...

SO, after you sort it all out, I would be interested in any music programs, possibly some games....:)

The software is a different story, tho...

SO, after you sort it all out, I would be interested in any music programs, possibly some games....:)

I have come across a bunch of music software 2 disks in the box I just did and I know their is lots more still in the attic their are prob just as much software if not more than the games. Of course I will test everything first but after someone asks about certian programs their is just way too much to just go and test everything right at one time It would take me weeks if not months!

Thats not a bad idea I will have to try that with the ram I was going to start with that anyways. I guess the ram chips are all soldered on the board so if im going to go the the trouble of removeing them I'll make sure to socket them. Does anyone have an internal picture of what the ram chip looks like on the C64 PCB? Or is it not hard to miss labled ram or what not.

Edited by TheBman80

A 1702 monitor isn't worthless, but it isn't as useful as the later monitors (1902, 1080, 1084) that can do RGB. But the 1702 was much less likely to break. From a reliability standpoint, the 1702 has to be one of the best monitors anyone ever made. I used to get my Commodore monitors fixed at TV repair shops when they failed, for what it's worth. (I can fix a lot of things but I stay away from monitors because the high voltages scare me.) Any of the Commodore monitors make fine displays for game machines and other computers of the era (Atari, Apple, etc.) I still use my 1702 a lot. I need to get my 1080 fixed. I think I threw my 1084 away at some point. I got tired of it breaking--I think it broke on me 4 times.

Depending on the model, a broken Commodore monitor *may* have value, if someone is able to fix it and wants it badly enough. Since a 1080, 2002, or 1084 monitor will work with all 8-bit computers and consoles, Atari ST, Amiga, Apple IIgs, and IBM PCs with CGA, those monitors can save someone a lot of space.

Be careful trying to fix 64s for profit. A dead 64 is worth $5-$10 to someone who wants the salvagable chips, like the 6581 SID (sound) chip. With a working 64 worth $15-$20, it's easy to spend more on parts than the machine is worth. The power supply was much more problematic than the computer itself, so if you have one that doesn't power up right, try it with another power supply from a computer that did power up.

The most common problems I saw on 64s were blown 6526 CIA chips (there are two of them) and memory chips. The memory chips weren't socketed. I don't remember the model number on them anymore, but I believe there were 8 of them, so look for a cluster of 8 chips that are smaller than the 6526, 6581, 6510, etc. I used to troubleshoot bad memory chips by stacking a new chip atop the old one. Sometimes there was more than one bad chip, so I'd have to chase a problem with multiples. But when the system started behaving differently, I knew I probably had found a bad chip.

As far as disk drives go, the 1541 is dirt common and not worth a lot, though a working 64 bundled with a working 1541 would probably go for more than either on their own. The later 1571 and 1581 (3.5-inch) drives are worth considerably more.

Commodore printers.... I've seen them cheap before, never bothered picking them up. Most Commodore-branded printers weren't very good when they were new. Most of us used Star Micronics or Epson printers. They cost a little more but were a lot faster and had better print quality.

I hope this helps. I loved those machines, 20 years ago...

Commodore printers.... I've seen them cheap before, never bothered picking them up. Most Commodore-branded printers weren't very good when they were new. Most of us used Star Micronics or Epson printers. They cost a little more but were a lot faster and had better print quality.

I don't think there is anything that loses it's value quite like old printers and modems. I see these things at the thrift store all the time for dirt cheap. For some reason, I see a lot of flatbed scanners too...

--Zero

I don't think there is anything that loses it's value quite like old printers and modems. I see these things at the thrift store all the time for dirt cheap. For some reason, I see a lot of flatbed scanners too...

No kidding. I saw the printer my wife bought three years ago (before we were married) for $6 earlier this week. I think it was a $120 printer. My everyday printer is a Lexmark 4039, a hopelessly obsolete laser printer. I bought it 10 years ago for about half price, but it's one of the most reliable pieces of equipment I ever owned (it was designed as an office printer). These days you can get a 4039 with a low page count for $35. The toner cartridges are hard to find, but when you can find one for under $50, it's a lot of printer for the money. Not flashy, but cheap, economical, and reliable. Cost per page when I can find an original (not refilled) toner cartridge for under $50 is around a penny a page. Since we print a lot, I really like that.

Scanners show up for a lot of reasons. Sometimes people see one with double the resolution so they buy it and toss their old ones. (Never mind their old scanner probably has a higher resolution than their printer anyway.) But the bulbs in scanners do have a finite lifespan, so some may actually be junked because they're bad. They used to be a replaceable item, but for the cost of the bulb, you might as well just get a new scanner if one burns out. The other (legitimate) issue is drivers. And finally, some scanners never had Windows XP drivers released, or the manufacturer wanted $30 for the driver. And if you're careful shopping around, you can get a new scanner that'll probably be a little faster and might have better software and pay not much more than that.

But I've REALLY taken this off topic. To reel it back in... Um... Commodore modems are generally worth a couple of bucks as curiosities. If you assembled a complete set of them, they might be worth a little more. There weren't a lot of models--first was the 1600 VICmodem, then the 1650 Automodem, the 1660, the 1670 (1200 bps!), and you may or may not want to count the 1680 (for Amiga). They're historically important, even if they aren't worth a fortune today. The 1600 was the first truly affordable mass-market modem (I think it originally retailed for $99), and the 1670, if I remember right, was the first 1200 bps modem to retail for less than $200. Isn't that frightening?

No kidding. I saw the printer my wife bought three years ago (before we were married) for $6 earlier this week. I think it was a $120 printer. My everyday printer is a Lexmark 4039, a hopelessly obsolete laser printer. I bought it 10 years ago for about half price, but it's one of the most reliable pieces of equipment I ever owned (it was designed as an office printer). These days you can get a 4039 with a low page count for $35. The toner cartridges are hard to find, but when you can find one for under $50, it's a lot of printer for the money. Not flashy, but cheap, economical, and reliable. Cost per page when I can find an original (not refilled) toner cartridge for under $50 is around a penny a page. Since we print a lot, I really like that.

After hearing about all the questionable business practices that Lexmark and HP do with their printers (what with the lockout chips in the ink cartridges and such), I don't think I'd ever buy a printer from either company. I currently use an Epson Stylus Color 660 (which I've seen since in the thrift stores for $5 as well). I don't print stuff very often though, so when I do, I end up having to clean the print head like, 5 times because it's gotten all gunked up. So basically, it's kind of a crummy printer, but at least the ink cartridges are cheap!

Scanners show up for a lot of reasons. Sometimes people see one with double the resolution so they buy it and toss their old ones. But the bulbs in scanners do have a finite lifespan, so some may actually be junked because they're bad. The other (legitimate) issue is drivers.

My guess is that the advent of digital cameras has also mostly doomed scanners to obsolesence (obsolence? obsoleteness???). Drivers have caused me problems in the past too, although mostly because I run Linux. I have an old IBM flatbed scanner, and there is no Linux driver available for it, so it no longer gets used. It worked alright when I did use it, but I don't have a lot of uses for it anymore.

But I've REALLY taken this off topic.

Heheh, and I certainly didn't help with this post... oh well.

Commodore modems are generally worth a couple of bucks as curiosities. If you assembled a complete set of them, they might be worth a little more.

Actually, I wouldn't mind getting a modem for my VIC-20... not that it would get any real use, but some day I'd love to set up my main PC to act as a telnet server that I could dial into with an old 8-bit, just to get some rudimentary (read: useless, but fun) network access, or maybe just enough to forward the connection to Particles! BBS so I could play a few rounds of Tradewars. I used to use a 1670 to dial into BBS's back in the days... 1200 baud used to be a pretty respectable speed, even though my brother was using a 2400 baud modem on his Amiga at the time.

--Zero

After hearing about all the questionable business practices that Lexmark and HP do with their printers (what with the lockout chips in the ink cartridges and such), I don't think I'd ever buy a printer from either company. I currently use an Epson Stylus Color 660 (which I've seen since in the thrift stores for $5 as well). I don't print stuff very often though, so when I do, I end up having to clean the print head like, 5 times because it's gotten all gunked up. So basically, it's kind of a crummy printer, but at least the ink cartridges are cheap!

Yeah, the 4039 dates from the days before Lexmark went evil. I wouldn't buy their new stuff now.

My guess is that the advent of digital cameras has also mostly doomed scanners to obsolesence (obsolence? obsoleteness???). Drivers have caused me problems in the past too, although mostly because I run Linux. I have an old IBM flatbed scanner, and there is no Linux driver available for it, so it no longer gets used. It worked alright when I did use it, but I don't have a lot of uses for it anymore.

Depending on what you're doing with it. For OCR and scanning clipart, you still need one, but those are specialized uses now. I admit, I don't use mine much. My wife uses hers a little more, but she majored in art.

Actually, I wouldn't mind getting a modem for my VIC-20... not that it would get any real use, but some day I'd love to set up my main PC to act as a telnet server that I could dial into with an old 8-bit, just to get some rudimentary (read: useless, but fun) network access, or maybe just enough to forward the connection to Particles! BBS so I could play a few rounds of Tradewars. I used to use a 1670 to dial into BBS's back in the days... 1200 baud used to be a pretty respectable speed, even though my brother was using a 2400 baud modem on his Amiga at the time.

I had a 1600 (300 baud!) and then a 1670, then I got a used 2400 and sold my 1670 for 20 bucks. Sometimes I miss those days, but what we have now is better--more than one person can use the board at a time now. :) But I do miss Tradewars, now that you mention it. That 1600 was slow and really noisy--the 1670 was a big upgrade. I think I still have it somewhere. I seem to remember picking up another 1670 at some point but I think I traded it for Amiga stuff.

All the scanners I see at thrift stores are all either SCSI (many of which came with proprietary SCSI cards) or parallel (which is a pain if you have a printer). All the newer ones (especially the combo ones) are all USB and plug and play ... so yeah, those old ones are destined for land fills.

I sold a Commodore color printer at OVGE earlier this year for $5. The guy asked me if it worked well -- I just started laughing and said, "hell, it was a piece of shit when it was new! I don't imagine it got any better with time!" He just laughed -- and bought it anyway.

I agree, Commodore modems aren't worth much unless you find a 2400 baud one with an RS-232 adapter attached to it. And even then, the adapter is worth more than the modem.

As for the topic question, I don't claim to know "a lot" about the Commodore 64, but I do love it and I did write a book about it.