IGNORED

My Email to Nintendo

jbanes

I just sent this email to Nintendo. Thought I'd share. I highly encourage you to send your own if you feel the same.

Dear Nintendo of America,

I am writing to offer you consumer comments on your recent release of the Nintendo Wii details. Due to your history of listening to your fanbase, I decided that you might be interested in hearing a reaction to your announcement.

To date, the general feeling I have had about the Wii is that it is a massive step forward, and that it will represent an excellent FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM that will be affordable, fun, and provide a better form of interactivity than all previous game machines. This is something that your competitors do not offer, and what makes the system valuable to myself and many other casual gamers.

However, I feel compelled to point out that your announced pricing/bundle scheme is unrealistic for the market you are targeting. As a casual gamer who was NOT originally looking to purchase ANY system in this generation, the Wii appealed to me because it was designed with family play in mind. I very much miss the social aspect of gaming from when I was a child, and wish to share it with my children.

To that end, I play old NES, Gameboy Color, and Atari games with them. Given that I had these systems in my closet, and that extra systems and games can be obtained quite inexpensively, this method of gameplay works quite well. Yet the features of the Wii could have provided a single system that allowed me to combine these old experiences with new experiences tailor-made for the family situation.

Unfortunately, your decision to include only ONE Wiimote controller in a $250 system package, along with the decision to set the price of additional Wiimotes to an unrealistically high price, has turned me off to the idea. At least for the time being. With your current pricing structure, I would need to lay out a minimum of $290 just to play Wii-Sports with one other member of my family. To use the system as I intend (all four players), I would need to spend between $370 and $430; depending on whether or not I need the nunchucks.

This pricing is unacceptable. Even if I make the decision to acquire the system this Christmas, I can guarantee that the high price will stunt my acquisition of further titles and hardware. The far more likely case is that I will chose to withhold my purchase until the price comes down, or a used system can be obtained at a lower cost.

If I may be so bold to suggest, I am not the only consumer who feels this way. Postings I have seen on forums such as 1Up, Slashdot, and AtariAge have echoed my feelings on the issue.

Thankfully, there is a simple solution to the problem. All that's needed is one more controller at the current price to make the system appealing again. Even if it's a bundled offer (i.e. Purchase the system, and get a free Wii-Mote) it will at least mean that we casual and non-gamers can play multiplayer games out of the box. Another suggestion relating to targeting the system to families, would be to provide a low-cost bundle with FOUR Wiimotes included. If such a bundle was $300 (even with only one nunchuck), then it would encourage consumers to stop looking at the price of extra Wiimotes, and start focusing on games and Wiimote accessories.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read my email. It is only my thoughts and suggestions, but I hope that you will find it to be useful information in your quest to reach new markets with your gaming products.

Sincerely,

<my info>

The FES?

Unfortunately, their form doesn't allow for any sort of emphasis. I made due with what I had.

I can hear Nintendo ignoring you from all the way across the ocean.

Perhaps. But it doesn't hurt to try. At least if the Wii sales come in below projections, they'll know why thanks to letters like mine. :)

At least you made an effort to let the Big N know what you think. I can now listen to your rants as you at least did something about it.

I can't stand people pissing on something but never doing anything about it.

I personally won't need 4 controllers for the system for a long time. A second one, perhaps, but not 4. I think I will wait until other colors of Wiimotes are relased though... I'll want a special wand to call my own. :)

Wasn't he on That 70's Show?

That was a very reasonable and well-written letter, Banes. I don't think it will achieve the desired results, but it deserves some attention at the very least. If I had E-mailed Nintendo about their penny-pinching ways, you can be sure that I would have been far less polite about it!

JR

That was a very reasonable and well-written letter, Banes. I don't think it will achieve the desired results, but it deserves some attention at the very least. If I had E-mailed Nintendo about their penny-pinching ways, you can be sure that I would have been far less polite about it!

Thanks, Jess. :)

Just like our teachers always drilled into us in school, a calm and logical letter will almost always have more impact than a hasty and angrily written one. My hope is that the email will be taken seriously, and perhaps even brought to the attention of execs. However, that's just my hope. The reality is that it will probably never make it past the PR grunt assigned to handle general comments. Still, it's worth a shot.

I'm very glad right about now that my interest is mainly in classic games. I can spend $5 to get Castlevania for the Wii, or I can spend that same $5 to buy the original NES cart of it.

I'll have the original, please.

I'm sure this will be seen as sacralige, but I would purchase the Virtual Console games just so I don't have to get out the Nintendo. The NES is a great old system, but it's a real pain to be switching around which console is plugged in. Even if I got a splitter to solve the cabling issue, I just don't have enough desk space to keep everything out at once. With the Wii, I'll probably keep it plugged into the composite ports at all times while I use the RF switchbox for classic systems. Thus the Wii Virtual Console means one less system to juggle.

Normally I wouldn't consider emulation to be an acceptable solution (it's just not the same), but the Wii controllers are cleverly designed to immitate the original Nintendo controllers, making the Wii an ideal platform for playing old Ninty stuff. And if the gamepad attachment isn't too expensive, even SNES games will retain much of their original feel.

While I'm sure Nintendo will read your letter and will probably send you a form-letter reply, what they're really watching is their own bottom line. If the Wii doesn't sell at it's opening price, they'll drop it (either the price or the system, take your pick!).

$250 seems like a lot, but it's probably close to a break-even point for them. They always say that hardware is sold at cost or at a loss at first. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but according to The Inflation Calculator, $250 isn't as much as it used to be.

In 1985, the NES Control Deck (SMB and 2 controllers) cost $199.

What cost $250.00 in 2005 would cost $140.87 in 1985.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 1985 and 2005,

they would cost you $250.00 and $443.67 respectively.

In 1991, the Super Nintendo set (SMW and 2 controllers) cost $199.

What cost $250.00 in 2005 would cost $177.16 in 1991.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 1991 and 2005,

they would cost you $250.00 and $352.78 respectively.

In 1996, the Nintendo 64 (no games, one controller) cost $199.

What cost $250.00 in 2005 would cost $205.96 in 1996.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 1996 and 2005,

they would cost you $250.00 and $303.46 respectively.

In 2001, the GameCube (no games, no memory card, one controller) cost $199.

What cost $250.00 in 2005 would cost $230.52 in 2001.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2001 and 2005,

they would cost you $250.00 and $271.13 respectively.

Adjusted for inflation, the Wii is a great deal. Compared with the XBOX 360 or the Playstation 3, it's still a good deal. Considering you can get a Cube, a Nintendo DS, and a bunch of games for $250, it's not such a great deal ... but check out that neat controller!

Edited by Flojomojo

Just like our teachers always drilled into us in school, a calm and logical letter will almost always have more impact than a hasty and angrily written one. My hope is that the email will be taken seriously, and perhaps even brought to the attention of execs. However, that's just my hope. The reality is that it will probably never make it past the PR grunt assigned to handle general comments.

For a while, I thought about sending a message to Nintendo stating that I wouldn't buy a DS until a new 2D Metroid title had been released for it. But then I realized how silly that was and scrapped the idea. But I still won't buy a DS though. I understand that Nintendo's execs (and perhaps even Nintendo's in-house developers) might not be interested in making another 2D Metroid title after Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission, but what can I say, there's nothing else for me out there that justifies buying a DS (yes, that even includes the DS Castlevania games).

My point is that I'm not enclined to send any kind of message to Nintendo (or any other gaming company for that matter) if it's only to receive a form-letter reply that will remind me that I'm part of a very small minority with specific needs and expectations.

My point is that I'm not enclined to send any kind of message to Nintendo (or any other gaming company for that matter) if it's only to receive a form-letter reply that will remind me that I'm part of a very small minority with specific needs and expectations.

That's what's keeping me from emailing them over the further Zelda: TP delay.

Oh, and I'm with you on the Metroid.

$250 seems like a lot, but it's probably close to a break-even point for them.

I sincerely doubt that. In fact, Nikkon Citigroup dropped their original estimate of the Wii's retail price to $170 because the components were coming back cheaper than was expected. An EA Exec later echoed that possibilty. It's pretty well understood at this point that Nintendo is able to manufacture these units for FAR, FAR less than the retail cost. The fact that the Wii is significantly cheaper in Japan (with the only difference being the lack of a 15 cent piece of round plastic) serves to underscore the gap between manufacturing costs and retail prices.

It's quite likely that Nintendo is trying to make up for the expected shortfall in profits due to the research and development costs of the Wii. Which would be fine, expect that Nintendo is in heavy competition with Sony and Microsoft, as well as trying to appeal to a brand-new market segment. Combined, those factors scream, "Don't overcharge!"

They always say that hardware is sold at cost or at a loss at first.

That's something of a rule of thumb. When a piece of hardware is first developed, the intial reseach and tooling up costs impact the cost of the device. As more devices are sold, these intial costs get more and more spread out, until they become insignificant. In addition, changes are often made to introduce cheaper components and fewer manufacturing steps.

I'm not sure if that's true or not, but according to The Inflation Calculator, $250 isn't as much as it used to be.

But by the same token, computer parts don't cost what they used to. Look at your own figures for each Nintendo console. You believe them to say that Nintendo is dealing with ever-shrinking margins. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact, your data actually points the opposite direction, in that each generation of system is getting cheaper to manufacture once inflation has been accounted for. Given that the Wii uses almost the exact same components as the GameCube but at higher clock speeds, its cost to retail gap may be one of the largest that Nintendo has seen in their entire history.

That's it, I'm out. I just read that DK Bongo Blast is moved to the Wii now too. I don't know how I missed that yesterday, but I'm finished. I've been looking forward to that game over all others for the GC since it was announced at E3. I don't even want a Wii now.

EDIT: Oh Super Paper Mario is also confirmed for the Wii now too. Great stuff. Who'd have thought loving the Cube would make me hate the Wii?

Edited by Atarifever

That's it, I'm out. I just read that DK Bongo Blast is moved to the Wii now too. I don't know how I missed that yesterday, but I'm finished. I've been looking forward to that game over all others for the GC since it was announced at E3. I don't even want a Wii now.

This is exactly what happened during the last days of the N64. Games were pushed back to the Gamecube. After the new Zelda game, Nintendo probably won't publish another Gamecube game.

Look at your own figures for each Nintendo console. You believe them to say that Nintendo is dealing with ever-shrinking margins. Nothing could be farther from the truth. In fact, your data actually points the opposite direction, in that each generation of system is getting cheaper to manufacture once inflation has been accounted for. Given that the Wii uses almost the exact same components as the GameCube but at higher clock speeds, its cost to retail gap may be one of the largest that Nintendo has seen in their entire history.

Easy there tiger -- any conclusions drawn from those pricing figures are your own. Please don't tell me what I believe! :o

I was merely pointing out the trends in their retail pricing from the consumer point of view. We're getting progressively more sophisticated technology for a progressively smaller amount of (inflation-adjusted) money.

The point of competitive pricing is to sell as much of your widget as you can get away with. They'll either succeed or adjust their price downwards to compensate. I have no idea what their r+d or manufacturing costs are, and anyone else is only guessing, but as you say, they're entitled to get their development money back. They're still significantly cheaper than Microsoft or Sony, and they'll probably continue to insist that they aren't in competition. That's a weird position to take, since there is presumably a limited amount of money in the marketplace for video games. Right?

EDIT: Oh Super Paper Mario is also confirmed for the Wii now too. Great stuff. Who'd have thought loving the Cube would make me hate the Wii?

Other than your desire to save money, I don't understand where you're coming from. You hate the Wii because you would have to buy it to run the software on it? As Hufnagel said, that isn't exactly new behavior for these (and other) manufacturers. They'll use the big names to sell the new hardware.

1. Sell Wii at $250

2. ?

3. PROFIT!

NEW YORK, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s (7974.OS: Quote, NEWS, Research) new Wii game console and related software will be profitable to the company once sales begin in the United States in November, the president of Nintendo of America said on Thursday.

"We will make a profit on the entire Wii proposition out of the box -- hardware and software," Reggie Fils-Aime told Reuters in an interview.

"That really is a very different philosophy versus our competitors. We are a company that competes only in the interactive entertainment space so we have to make a profit on every thing we do."

At $250, the Wii console will face stiff competition against Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) already-available Xbox 360 and Sony Corp.'s (6758.T: Quote, NEWS, Research) PlayStation 3, which will debut on Nov. 17 in North America at two price levels, $499 and $599.

That letter to the company will be read but not heeded. It's your dollars or theirs, and they want to keep theirs.

I just sent this email to Nintendo. Thought I'd share. I highly encourage you to send your own if you feel the same.

I bet you'll get some kind of reply. Twice, I have written Nintendo in regards to what was then the Revolution and got respones both times. The responses weren't just form letters, they commented directly on my letter.

Other than your desire to save money, I don't understand where you're coming from. You hate the Wii because you would have to buy it to run the software on it? As Hufnagel said, that isn't exactly new behavior for these (and other) manufacturers. They'll use the big names to sell the new hardware.

Nope, I hate the wii because I would have to buy it to run Gamecube software. From the original release dates I should have Super Paper Mario, TP, and Donkey Kong Bongo Blast to tide me over until Christmas, at which point I was likely going to buy a Wii. Now I have nothing to tide me over until Christmas, after a very dry console summer, all so that I can buy games that I was already supposed to have by now. Originally Twilight Princess was supposed to be on the Cube for LAST Christmas, and the other two games were going to be out before Christmas. Now they're delayed so that they can quickly be ported to a new system with a new control scheme while I, who have bought no less than 3 Nintendo systems this generation, am left with a system that Nintendo dropped support of much earlier than they said they would. Sorry if that annoys me a little.

Many appear to think that $250 for the Wii is a higher price than it ought to be. Many (including myself) think that $500 - $600 is a very high price for the PS3. Out of curiosity... since both Nintendo and Sony said that they are offering **FREE** online service for their systems (instead of a $50 per year charge like MS), could part of the "high" cost of the Wii and PS3 systems be because both companies are building some of the costs of their online service into the initial price of the system? If neither Nintendo or Sony offered an online service, or charged a fee instead of offering it for free, do you think the selling price of the systems would be the same as they are now?

Just wondering.

Mendon