IGNORED

FIdoNet...?

DarkLord

Well, what I am REALLY looking for if you were part of it, was the GALAXY.DAT file for Fido SEE... You only got that from the coordinator once you were approved. With that I might be able to get SEE going again. I really want to get some of those multi BBS games going. Just to prove that we can, if for no other reason (but hopefully, people would love it and play).

I also have an event in RatSoft that runs Binkley during Zone Mail Hour. If you try to call the BBS, you get a message that the BBS is down until then.

Anyway, that's the basics of it... if anyone has any questions..... Here I am.

Was about to say ZMH? Why's that necessary with a multinode board, but I suppose it's possible your board can't handle multiple callers? My board can get/send mail 24-7 so I just ignore ZMH, the hour was designed so the net could ensure that at least once a day all the mail could get dumped that had backed up during the day.

Heh, ZMH.

Yeah... RatSoft is single node...... for now. I'm actually acquiring a few ST's in a possibly-not-pointless attempt to create a multimode setup. Sure, I could try Octopus... but it requires Semper for Fido and I can't get a key or demo key. Also, I kinda want to do something on my own. And I DO love RatSoft. I really don't know how seriously they take ZMH anymore honestly.... Policy 4 hasn't been updated since 1989. ;)

Yep, its as complicated as I remember it from years ago. :)

To even start, I'll have to find archives of all those utilites. If you have the latest

versions or links to them, I could use them.

Another problem is that BBS Express ST doesn't have the builit in support for

some of that stuff like RatSoft apparently does.

I do remember though, that BBS Express ST BBS's were doing FidoNet, so it

can be done.

Don't know where, but I really need to find some examples, scripts, etc,...

Thanks.

There was a children's book once... "What good luck, what bad luck". http://www.vintagechildrensbooksmykidloves.com/2008/09/what-good-luck-what-bad-luck.html I think it's actually my biography... but alas.....

What good luck! The documentation actually covers how to deal with Fido mailers.

What bad luck! It doesn't say jack about the message bases/packet processors.

What good luck! It mentions that ISIS/CBase (another BBS type network I was interested in) was written/designed buy BBS Express ST SysOps

What bad luck! Other than that mention, I couldn't find jack about it. (Ok, doesn't help/hurt you but it was a kick in the face for me who's trying to figure out how to get some of these multi BBS games going again!)

What good luck! It seems the FidoDoor's Support BBS was an Express! BBS! (So not only should it work, but there probably wasn't a "better" way to do Fido on BBS Express! ST, so I can probably stop looking!)

What bad luck! Unless the version I have got rid of the key, it would limit you to 5 message areas.

What good luck! You're popular in the Atari ST BBS community! People will want to help you!

What bad luck! You ARE the Atari ST BBS community! (Ok, that was just for the chuckle....)

What good luck! Android (or another user here) might have that key!

What bad luck! On a HD that had a fatal crash 20 years ago.....

What good luck! We got a ton of smart people here and we'll figure something out!

What bad luck....... well..... ok, actually after that last "good luck" I got nuttin..... I'm confident we're going to rock this!

Ok. Ill download that when I get home and start messing around. I assume that includes full docs?

As far as I know, that would be the full release, just as if you had ordered it direct from Rich. I

really sincerely wish that there was an archive someplace of all the scripts that he used to have

on the support BBS... I think some of the Atari CD's have some stuff on them - have to nose

around when I get the chance.

Interesting thread. here in Germany, MausNet was much more Atari centered (despite its Apple BBS origins - Münster Apple User Service was the meaning of the acronym, which itself translates to "mouse") and thus much more popular among Atari users (the README files of many freeware archives have authors with maus.de addresses, as MausNet had working (as opposed to several incidents with misbehaving Fido ones) gateways to the Internet for mail and news quite early. The original MAUS BBS ran on a Basis 108, the later QUARK (network-capable) software originally was written for the Atari ST.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MausNet

• Like 1

I'm familiar with that one (well, back in the 90's I wasn't, but I've seen a lot of mention while looking for new versions of the Fido software). I'm also interested in any info on ISIS/CBase? Anyone have any info on that? My main thing right now (after getting DarkLord's BBS on Fido) is to try to get some of the multi-BBS games running as multi-bbs games. The problem is that often you had to sign up and be in the game before they sent you the critical files. Since I never got that far before the BBS went down, I'm stuck unless I find someone who has the files (so I can try to reverse engineer them).

:(

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah... RatSoft is single node...... for now. I'm actually acquiring a few ST's in a possibly-not-pointless attempt to create a multimode setup. Sure, I could try Octopus... but it requires Semper for Fido and I can't get a key or demo key. Also, I kinda want to do something on my own. And I DO love RatSoft. I really don't know how seriously they take ZMH anymore honestly.... Policy 4 hasn't been updated since 1989. ;)

Got on your board the other day, I do love RatSoft, I know that program has been around for a while, and it shows, nice flow, good ansi, fse is pretty nice, etc. Will call in from time to time.

Registered APE for my 800 this week, going to play around with Ice-T and call some Atari boards. So nice not having to worry about long distance charges these days. :)

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I was doing a routine name scan when I came across this posting. It was 1995 when I released ISIS/Link into the wilds and closed down my Atari ST BBS known as "Quantum Thump" down forever. I never would have thought it would still be discussed 18 years later. Simply Amazing.

I wrote ISIS to fill a niche that only FIDO was filling at the moment for the "other" BBS products out there. BBS Express which was taken over and rewritten by my good friend Rick, had no such networking capabilities thus leaving it out in the cold when it came to online games like SEE and Final Frontier ,email, fmail and forums, which I also worked on all of those as well.

If you are serious about wanting help, I will be happy to see ISIS and BBS express take off again. Maybe someone out there has the entire package as I wrote it in GFA. I would be happy to update it and help you understand how the entire process works. SEE and Final Frontier are wonderful games of that era and I remember the battles fought over the 14.4 baud line took forever.

Sincerely,

ISIS Author

• 2 years later...

Well, I tried PM'ing... no reply (looks like you haven't been here since posting)... Still interested in contacting you. Ball is in your court... you made an account here and never checked it again, are you serious about being contacted? Things got busy in 2014 with my mother dying and going back to school to finish my degree... but I have some time on my hands now to work on things and I'd really like to get in touch with you. PM me if you're still interested.

Or even better, call the BBS.... telnet bbs.sfhqbbs.org:5983 and relive why you loved this hobby in the first place!

Did they call Rich "Rick"? I only knew him as Rich Sanchez. He was the last author/owner of

BBS Express ST before he released it into the public domain. Over the years, he's actually

visited DarkForce a couple of times.

I don't know... I also don't know who it was that wrote that post as the ISIS author... (Was ISIS developed by the same person as BBS Express ST, or was that someone else?) Anyway, we shall see.

... or not.

I don't know... I also don't know who it was that wrote that post as the ISIS author... (Was ISIS developed by the same person as BBS Express ST, or was that someone else?) Anyway, we shall see.

... or not.

I have no idea. I know Rich Sanchez had BBS Express ST in his hands from the moment I got into BBS'ing until he released it into the public domain. I though it was Keith Ledbetter

who had it before him. I'm not sure if Express was in anybody else's hands...

I have no idea. I know Rich Sanchez had BBS Express ST in his hands from the moment I got into BBS'ing until he released it into the public domain. I though it was Keith Ledbetter

who had it before him. I'm not sure if Express was in anybody else's hands...

I got confused... I checked the bouncing balls again. Yeah, if Rich/Rick knows this guy then that might be able to work.

What I'd really hope is that we can get some interBBS stuff working (or if we can get even more ST boards back up.... have some real fun).

I could always try reverse engineering stuff, but that's more time than it's worth probably.

Any love for ST-Keep? I think that was locally coded - here in Sac - by Andrew Studer. [or maybe he was just a main sysop proponent of it; can't remember]. And I think there was another ST BBS program written in town by an infamous eccentric pirate but I can't remember the name of it.

Also having difficulty remembering the ST Paint Program that was written by staff members of the ComputerTime Atari/Amiga dealership here in town [well, Citrus Heights…still part of the greater Sacramento Metropolitan Area].

I remember ST-Keep. Wasn't it based on the room concept? Or something like that?

I think I played around with it (and several others) before settling on BBS Express! ST.

Yep. It was very easy to create rooms in ST-Keep. Our user's group also used it for our BBS but Andrew was the sysop of it. I think there were 3 other ST-Keep based BBSes in Sac at the time. RatSoft came much later. Damn, I wish I could remember that other BBS program the eccentric guy wrote.

Yeah, I really wish I could get in touch with the RatSoft author. Almost got a chance when he was on the Atari-Forums but apparently he never returned after I found the thread and messaged him. :(

It would be really great to write a BBS package that had all the good parts of all the best BBS programs, but with the number of ST BBS's out there it just wouldn't be worth the time and trouble from scratch.

Not sure what you mean.....? Like having websites that look like BBS's?

I mean, I guess I don't get the wifi router part.

You have your wifi router set up to authorize guests in the neighborhood. And you have a community BBS login as the front-end to it. Could be isolated from your internal network yet could connect across the net to other BBSes in a mesh type ad hoc network. Or, the router could host a BBS which could be telnetted to.

You have your wifi router set up to authorize guests in the neighborhood. And you have a community BBS login as the front-end to it. Could be isolated from your internal network yet could connect across the net to other BBSes in a mesh type ad hoc network. Or, the router could host a BBS which could be telnetted to.

Not a bad idea... but most WiFi routers can't get much further past the next house or so. (At least, not in my area).

You try that Dualterm yet?

• Like 1