IGNORED

Robot Tank - Surprisngly Good

rheffera

Just picked up Robot Tank today, and i have to admit it is quite fun, and done from a first person perspective - rare in 2600 games. The enemy tanks actually look like tanks up cloe, unlike blocks of colour like a certain game i know. The explosions, and that static effect when you get hit are cool. It would be better if multiple enemys were attacking at once though. What do other ppl think about this game?

Just picked up Robot Tank today, and i have to admit it is quite fun, and done from a first person perspective - rare in 2600 games. The enemy tanks actually look like tanks up cloe, unlike blocks of colour like a certain game i know. The explosions, and that static effect when you get hit are cool. It would be better if multiple enemys were attacking at once though. What do other ppl think about this game?

I agree. Its an achivement for 2600. Mulitiple attacks at once?

I think the tanks do attack more and more at once in later stages... I think?

I know it gets more difficult. Anyway, I thought this game has a good playable quality,

it also has good graphics and sound. :D

I haven't played this one in a while...

Robot Tank has its charms especially with the changeable weather conditions and day and night conditions but it could have done with more than one tank on the screen on the screen at the same time and it could have done with the tanks attacking you from behind but apart from that it was still a great game. ;)

Somewhat limited to battling it out with tanks, but it does do Battlezone one better.

No it doesn't :?

Battlezone has Planes and Flying Saucers and the weather is better.

If "better" in regards to Battlezone being better also means not having to deal with your tank sustaining crippling damage, but rather having one good shot do you in no matter what, then more power to you.

However, I think having that bit of realism, plus the occasional bad weather, makes Robot Tank the better of the two.

Your statement about Battlezone having planes and flying saucers only confirms what I have said about Robot Tank being somewhat limited to battling it out with tanks.

Yes, a good game. At the time it seemed like a revelation. READABLE small text and a changing screen. Revolutionary in some ways for the 2600. One downside: night seems to last a lot longer than day, so you spend more time shooting in the dark than in the light. That gets annoying. And I hate it when the tank gets damaged. The only way to recover was to get through a level. If I remember right that's impossible if your cannons go out.

But overall a good one. Activision usually had the best games.

I love the games where you get shot up and limp along as best you can, hoping to get better soon but not ready for someone to finish you off. From the top of my head, these games have it:

Starmaster

Star Raiders

Solaris

Robot Tank

You could argue that being crippled is not much fun, but I enjoy being able to work out of a tight scrape with very few abilities left. That might explain why I liked Destruction Derby and Bushido Blade so much on the Playstation, or the X-Wing games on the PC. It's a whole different feeling than playing something like Street Fighter with full abilities but only a sliver of health left. "Realism" would dictate that if you're that close to being knocked out, you're not in much shape to fight. :D

Love it! I was considering getting a 2600 console (only have a 7800 for my 2600 carts at the moment) just so I could be sure I'd be able to play it. However, picked up The Activision Anthology for my PC for 98 cents and the emulation is spot-on, just as I remembered it! My very first play in about 15 years earned me a virtual patch...

The cannons never completely go out. They just fire much more slowly.

Starting in level 6--- the tanks can attack from behind!! It's really tough then. Who here has killed beyond 72 tanks? Their bullets travel so fast then, if you get hit with bad wheather, WOW!

I think I managed five squadrons once; at the higher levels, when it rains or snows I just spend the entire "day" keeping the other tanks behind me so they can't fire.

Oh, don't know if anyone else has noticed this (though I'm sure D. Yancey must have to have gotten as far as he has) but the disabled cannon fires every third time the fire button is pressed, though if the shot hits something, the next press fires as well. This means, if your cannon is disabled and you hit an enemy tank with each shot, it won't seem disabled at all.

Starting in level 6--- the tanks can attack from behind!! It's really tough then. Who here has killed beyond 72 tanks? Their bullets travel so fast then, if you get hit with bad wheather, WOW!

Wow... according to NovaXPress and Zylonbane in our LAST slugfest over these two games, one of the major things they dislike is that tanks cannot attack unless they're on the screen, and that as long as you get their missile sprite OFF your screen, you're safe, as far as evasive maneuvers are concerned.

I like 'em both... but I agree with the posters who suggest that Robot Tank is in fact slightly more "realstic" than Battlezone (as far as a 2600 3-d 1st person perspective tank game can be realstic, anyhow).

Hmm. Don't know what my high score is, but I know at one time or another I must have nailed more than six squadrons. I don't recall either way if they were firing from behind though, the action is pretty hairy at the higher levels.

Robot Tank is a great game!

> BZ :cool: :D

One thing I like about Robot Tank that doesn't get mentioned often is how the enemy shots can be destroyed. That is something you can't do in Battlezone. I'm not sure which game I like better, though.

Excellent point. The BIGGEST problem I've always had with Battlezone is that if you see an enemy fire at you on screen. That's it, you are getting hit and there is NOTHING that can stop it, not even turning in an evasive pattern.

-Ray

Hmm. Don't know what my high score is, but I know at one time or another I must have nailed more than six squadrons. I don't recall either way if they were firing from behind though, the action is pretty hairy at the higher levels.

The tanks can appear on radar behind you. There will still only be one enemy tank at a time to deal with. If you let them get near you in this position, they will fire and you'll never even see the shot. You must try to keep your distance so they do not fire until you can get them back in front of your tank. The enemy tanks are extremely fast at this point and it's not easily done. I usually get pummelled at this stage of the game! :|

My best is either 82 or 83 long ago. The game is a nightmare at that point.

The tanks can appear on radar behind you. There will still only be one enemy tank at a time to deal with. If you let them get near you in this position, they will fire and you'll never even see the shot. You must try to keep your distance so they do not fire until you can get them back in front of your tank. The enemy tanks are extremely fast at this point and it's not easily done. I usually get pummelled at this stage of the game! :|

The BIGGEST problem I've always had with Battlezone is that if you see an enemy fire at you on screen. That's it, you are getting hit and there is NOTHING that can stop it, not even turning in an evasive pattern.

The bullets actually can be dodged by moving out of the bullet's range.

Edited by BrianC